Different types of inspections?

Different types of inspections?

A few years ago I got a Box 2 and had to go get an inspection. In the mean time, I had 30 days to drive around, in which time my insurance was still valid. I went to an inspection facility, passed, and drove away.

Last week I got a Box 1 and they removed my plates. I was told that I should cancel my insurance until I get it inspected and am allowed back on the road. The specific reason for the Box 1 was that the rust holes in my frame were too severe. I will be fixing it properly in the coming weeks (was already going to but waited too long).

Are there different types of inspection? If so, how do I know exactly what I need?

Can I just go to any inspection facility with my Notice and Order and they will know what is required?

Will my Autoplan guy simply be able to pull it up on his computer and know if he's allowed to insure me again or will he have to phone in for more info?

Should I just torch my truck now? Hmm...wait...it's not insured.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

First off, the inspections are all the same. Unless it has salvage status, then in addition to the normal inspection it needs a structural integrity inspection and 4 wheel alignment.

A box 2 is typically issued to a vehicle which does not comply with the regs but does not appear to have any critical safety defects. You are supposed to have it inspected "Promptly" then present a passed inspection report within 30 days to the inspector. Also note that you don't have 30 days to drive around on a box 2. If it does not comply with the MVAR it must be repaired immediately.

A box 1 means it is removed from the highway immediatley (tow truck) until such time as it passes an inspection. Box 1's are issued to vehicles which are unsafe, usually accompanied with a "Defective Vehicle" ticky. Plates may also be seized.

Box 3's are issued for specific items such as lights, windshield etc. where an officer deems it doesn't need an inspection but wishes to deal with an issue. Even though box 3's have an amount of days entered by the officer, defects must be
    repaired "Immediately". The amount of days given is for proof of repairs to be sent in or checked.

As for insurance, your vehicle will be flagged on the system "Requires Passed Inspection Report". You need to show the insurance agent a current passed report. That's it.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply!

I just wasn't sure if them pulling me off the road for an "unsafe" frame would result in me needing additional frame structural inspection.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

During a box 1 or 2 inspection, if structural problems are found, a body structural integrity exam requirement can be triggered as well.

Depending on how long it is going to take you to make the repairs and pass the inspection, you may find it makes financial sense to cancel your insurance until you are done. You can always get a storage policy to protect for fire and theft in the meantime.

You will have to have the pass document to reinsure if you choose to cancel.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

Originally posted by skidmark
    During a box 1 or 2 inspection, if structural problems are found, a body structural integrity exam requirement can be triggered as well.
    "can be" - I wonder how I can find out for sure.

They may have even told me at the time but it's like being involved in an accident - it all happens so fast and then you wake up and can't remember any of the details...

Anyway, thanks again.

The criteria to stop a "standard" inspection and proceed to a structural integrity inspection are listed in the inspection manual. Instructions on how to obtain one are listed on our modified vehicles page.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

Re: Different types of inspections?

to hire a certified home inspector then the home inspection colorado springs co is highly recommendable because of quality work