Unimog 406 axles

Unimog 406 axles

Hi All,
    Im new one here. Sorry if started thread in wrong section.
    Im driving G500 (2002) since 2008. Great truck on highways and off-road (not too much offroad :-).
    For last couple weeks there is one idea is setting in my head - 406 axles under G500. I know people are doing such projects
    with even smaller vehicles, and they have success.
    I was looking at the bolt-on portals from tibus and from letech - both solutions are great. Costwise tibus - more then 16k, letech - close to 40.
    So it's pretty steep. But bottom line you'll not have solution like having u-mog axles.
    Why 406 but not 404. Im looking at 406 because they have fast ratio, you can get a close to 4.9, what is pretty close to 4.35 ratio on g-wagen. So from my understanding highway capability will not be completely sacrificed. Bigger tires (>35) will help even more.
    Does that project, for now it just idea, worth to continue to work on it or im on completely wrong direction ?
    And second question - if somebody has 406 axles (installed or just setting in garage) - is it possible to take a look at them to have some ideas.

PS: Forgot ot mention - Vancouver area.
    Last edited by borei; October 12th, 2016 at 09:47 am.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Unimog 406 axles

i've done extensive work on mogs and mog axles. do you want the real answer or what you like to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    you can never have too many jeeps...

Stock Merc on 24's

Quote Originally Posted by Tmax View Post
    i've done extensive work on mogs and mog axles. do you want the real answer or what you like to hear?
    of cause real answer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

in that case, leave your G alone and go buy a proper unimog that is designed to do what it does. you can spend thousands or tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands and at the end, you still have a home made G that wont do the job of the luxyry 500 or touch a unimog. unbalanced and missmatched parts at best.

if you like your G, then put some 33x12 size tires on it and enjoy. you will be surprised. it may even blow you mind as what it can do.

minimum tire size on a 406 is 40 inches. thats the smallest workable tire. these axles will manhandle your jeep.... i mean your G like a skateboard.

Stock Merc on 24's

in that case, leave your G alone and go buy a proper unimog that is designed to do what it does. you can spend thousands or tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands and at the end, you still have a home made G that wont do the job of the luxyry 500 or touch a unimog. unbalanced and missmatched parts at best.

if you like your G, then put some 33x12 size tires on it and enjoy. you will be surprised. it may even blow you mind as what it can do.

minimum tire size on a 406 is 40 inches. thats the smallest workable tire. these axles will manhandle your jeep.... i mean your G like a skateboard.
    Hi Tmax,

Thanks for reply. Honestly saying i was expecting pretty close reply, but your opinion is important (i found that you was doing some projects with u-mog). However i'd like to ask you couple more questions, sorry they can be very unprofessional, but still:
    1) Why 40 is minimum size for unimog axles ? Can 37 or maybe even 35 be used with that axles ? Is there some real problems with smaller then 40 inches tires usage ?
    2) What would be your answer in case of the first option - "what you like to hear" ?

the rim size is 20". sure you can get a 35" tire in 20 but what is the point? just put some 35's on your existing axles and be done with it. i dont think you realize how massive these axles are compared to G units. they are ment to handle huge torque with big tires and work hard. the whole package will be a very missmatched. you will not have a proper G or a unimog.

Stock Merc on 24's

the rim size is 20". sure you can get a 35" tire in 20 but what is the point? just put some 35's on your existing axles and be done with it. i dont think you realize how massive these axles are compared to G units. they are ment to handle huge torque with big tires and work hard. the whole package will be a very missmatched. you will not have a proper G or a unimog.
    That is exaclty what i was looking for starting this thread - i have no idea how massive are 406 axles. All internet pictures doesn't provide that "live side-byside comparison".
    there are pretty big concerns about just to put 35 tires on stock g-wagen
    1) they will not fit without some modification. Even body-lift doesn't help. Maximum is 33'.
    2) with 35 (even 33) tires be ready to replace hub beargins much more often.
    3) Clearance. I think that axle displacement (portals) approach is much more "correct" then just to use bigger tires. It's not possible to get 400mm with any tires. 33' will give you +25-30 mm addition to stock.
    4) With portals you are reducing load on the powertrain (engine->transmission->tc).

I know G is fantastic on off-road and again i started this thread just because of quiriosity - is it possible and where are the limits.
    Thanks a lot for helping getting better understanding "in what kind of problem im about to step" :-).