BC 4x4 Forums banner

98 1500 ransfer case wont shift when engine running

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 gmc 1500, with an auto matic. for some stupid reason I can shift into neutral at my transfer case but I cant shift into anything else without having my truck shut off. its kind of a pain in the ass when im trying to keep up with people. if anyone knows why it happens and how to fix it that would be great

#6 ·
Okay I understand now.

In anything but park the transmission output shaft is spinning, or trying to spin, even with the transmission in neutral the output will spin due to internal friction unless there is something stopping it like the brakes. With transfer case and transmission in neutral you're going to be stuck there, it won't shift with the transmission output spinning and you have no way to stop it except shutting the engine off.

There's still no reason it won't go from 2 to 4 hi though, it should be an NP241 and 4hi just engages the front, is the shift pattern straight 2wd-4hi-N-4lo ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.