BC 4x4 Forums banner

Pheonix Mine and Area

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Chauncey 
#1 ·
Did a little scouting last week for a couple friends coming down from Calgary this weekend. Found a couple of mines but missed a few so hopefully they can track the rest down. Newer mine with the buildings is the Lexington, and the main adit is caved and the Grenoble adit there is a decline and flooded. The vent shaft is open but ladders are now rotten ladders, used to be steel but mine owners must have removed them before closing the mine in '08/'09. No.7 mine is caved about 150' in but worth seeing the camp, 6 or 7 old log buildings still mostly intact. Found a few tunnels near an open pit east of the main Pheonix workings which were interesting to explore.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few more pics........

Attachments

#5 ·
As a former resident of the big spoons (grand forks) LOL I gotta say it sure was fun riding up there on the dirt bike every chance I had.
Before they put in the 4 lane at Eholt, you could scoot across the HWY (old CPR grade) and come to the cross over point for the CPR and the Grand trunk.
Grand trunks rail grade is literally the Hwy coming from Grand forks just on top of the big hill, you can still see the bed cut into the side of the rock bluff to keep the percentage/grade down.
While the CPR went up the north fork valley and cut back into Eholt at about brown creek.
Lots of 1/2 and 1/4 trestles to see on the GTR as they were partially dismantled, but you need to do some walking.

If you have time start at Norwegian cr road and work your way east, lots to see.
If your looking for a good run try the north fork to Edgewood and either east to Nakusp or west to Vernon (much more fun on two wheels though)

#6 ·
those random open holes in the ground with nothing around is freaky. makes a person wonder about what could be below you when walking around in the wilderness. that pond/lake is that from an open pitt mine?

#11 ·
Nice photos KC. I was up there in August 2012, around the Lost City of Paris. Saw some of the mines in your photos. Was kind of exploring at that time with no clear map, and now when I look on google earth I can't make sense of where exactly I was. I gotta get back there some time this year; only problem is the 6 hour drive from Vancouver. ;)

There is a pretty neat lookout on the other side of highway 3 there as well, looks over Jewel Lake. Beautiful views from up there, definitely a rocky rough road up there, but I did it in my stock xterra so shouldn't be too challenging for most of you all. There was a guy up there as well, must have been volunteering. He made it up in an early 80s/late 70s Chevy Caprice (one of the cop cars).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.