Camping / Hiking suggestions - Kootneys, Golden, Revelstoke

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Camping / Hiking suggestions - Kootneys, Golden, Revelstoke

Trying to get some ideas for a trip at the end of June - taking a week to do a loop along the #3 HWY into the Kootneys, then up towards Golden and back thru Revelstoke.

Looking for suggestions on back road routes through these areas, forestry camping sites which would make good base camps for day hikes and scrambles in the rockies, fishing / canoeing spots / general points of interest along this loop. I've heard of some great alpine ridge walks that can be done in the kootneys and southern rockies, but no real details - would be great to have a place to camp where we could set up for a few days and do a bunch of day trips..

Never really visited the area before, hoping to find some nice drives to keep off the highways and camping spots in the mountains - any drives or camping spots which are in the alpine or great approaches to the alpine would be excellent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Camping / Hiking suggestions - Kootneys, Golden, Revelstoke

One of my favorites is the drive up Bull river near Cranbrook the drive is awesome for views , game , and fishing (lakes and river's or creek's) you can follow it all the way up and come around and go back down to Canal flats area or you can carry on through and come out on Settlers road in Kootenay National Park then head back west to Radium Hotsprings. Pick up a backroad mapbook for the East koots, The route is on the map and others also. With a million miles of gravel roads it is sometimes easy to get turned around, And there is no gas stations close by.Whiteswan hotsprings is also close on that route, Real nice but popular spot to soak your stones in after a long day. Pm me if you go, I can rattle off some prime spots for camping and fishing.....Neil
    75 fj 40 soa, 35's,disks, saginaw power,small block,8274,

Thanks BN, will definitely have a backroads book with me - some good information there will PM you for more..

Is there many logging roads which are driveable in Kootney National Park? Or any good roads around the outskirts of the park which might provide access to the park away from the main spots?

Ever been around Bugaboo provincial park? Any 4x4ing back in there which might be take you some place nice?
    Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

The only road that i know of that is gravel is settlers road, it basically just comes up the same watershed that feeds the Kootenay river. It exits just inside park boundarys about 30-40 k's. Not sure about too many roads around the edge, pretty rugged country. The backroads book will show more than i can say, A dude can spend alot of ass time in the seat cruisin the backroads.There is roads leading into watershed systems up there that i have never been on , Good luck Neil
    75 fj 40 soa, 35's,disks, saginaw power,small block,8274,

Hi there. I can suggest you to stop for camping on the beaches of the lakes an along river during the trip for fishing and barbecue, you have to make small camping thre. The nature there is awesome. I have spent few nights on the beach with spinning and catch some nice gold carps. And damn, fish soup made on nature with a natural fire on dry wood is brilliant. It has a taste of smoke... You have to pop up a tent there at least for a night. Believe me you won`t regret. Wish you good trip, dude.

First time camping is always exciting and brings certain expectations. I remember my first camping experience when I was young. Camping is a fun outdoor activity but only if you prepare for it properly. In other cases, you will be heading home disappointed and grumpy.

Essential Things To Consider for First time camping:

1. Preparation Before Going Outdoors

2. Choose A Proper Camping Tent

3. Pitching Location

4. Food And Water Supplies

5. Clothes

6. A Map And A compass

7. Sleeping Equipment

8. Medications

9. Personal Hygiene

10. Always Tell Someone Where You Are Going