BC 4x4 Forums banner

Skookumchuck Lookout

51K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Floorboard 
#1 ·
Headed up on June 26 and this is what I saw at 6330'.

My 'super swamper' testing the firmness of the springs

The road heading up.

Looking back from a nearby ridge.

Headed back up last weekend to look for a friends lost camera and found the door to locked and signed, called the forestry office regarding the lost camera and they said the tower failed an engineers report so they had to lock it. Probably be taken down in year or so.

See less See more
#42 ·
There are pictures of little fort look out (baldy mt?) on fun in bc I believe. There is one above whatshan lake I've been meaning to check out too. We should plan a trip one day. I'd also like to check out tuktakamin mt and mt Mara

#43 ·
This one is north of Grandforks west of Burrel creek, not sure of it's name - a buddy sent me the pics when he hiked up there last year.

Attachments

#48 ·
YUP, looking out the kitchen window east over Grinrod and the west side of hunters range right now, And I bet with the bucket full a rain in the past 24 hours there are a few feet up there.
Time to break out the sled.
(if this keeps up I will have snow here by turkey day, we are at about 2450 feet)

#51 ·
I thought I'd bump this thread up since it had a bit of traffic back in the day, Mt.Lavina is indeed being proposed to be dis-mantled luckily Paul stepped up and has made some progress with getting the 4WDABC support on renovating the tower to allow it to remain open. I thought I'd post this here since four wheel drive association threads don't seem to get much traffic. I'm hoping to get over there to help and was hoping some others might as well.

http://www.4wdabc.ca/showthread.php?293-Lavina-Lookout-HELP-closure-notice

#58 ·
Unfortunately we hit about 6' of snow at 7000' so we were still about 500' short elevation wise to make it to the tower. We did install some signage that forestry gave us and do general trail maintenance and enjoy some good company but no tower work. August long I'm busy as well so others will have to step up.

#60 ·
There is another work party being held this August long weekend for Mt.Lavina fire lookout, we're meeting at Glacier Creek Regional Park for 10:30am on August 1st. I believe there is a staircase to be installed as well as some cat walk work. Just putting this out as an open invite to anyone who wants to help out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.