Chilliwack Lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chilliwack Lake

Chilliwack Lake

So I'm pretty new to this whole fishing thing. I started last year and believe it or not I have yet to catch a fish...
    My question is, what type of lures and tackle do you guys have luck with for places like Chilliwack lake or Hicks lake...?
    98 Cherokee, 6.5" lift, 33" Goodyear MTR'S, Dana 44 rear with detroit

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Chilliwack Lake

chilliwack lake has some big fish in it I caught a 8 lb dolly with a sinlge egg on a hook a few feet off of bottom, for the smaller lakes try a wedding band and a worm or a fly black or purple leech is almost fool proof anytime of the year, , a boat will make things a lot esier also
    1990 Hilux Surf 3.4 5vzfe
    sas 35s.
    1974 fj40 soon to be a 5vzfe also

Awesome, I think I'm gonna try the egg at the end of the line idea. We went out last weekend and I ended up flipping my boat, so lost all my tackle gear (the little that I had haha). So needless to say I have a boat so we'll be along the edge of the lake.

Any other suggestions on what to use? For trolling or for jigging?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

some people like the willow leaf, ford fender, type things with a wedding band at the end with a worm, try new lures ive just figured that new lures catch more fish,
    1990 Hilux Surf 3.4 5vzfe
    sas 35s.
    1974 fj40 soon to be a 5vzfe also

So if u r trolling for trout and r new to fishing I would try to watch the speed ur travelin it makes a diff are they big lakes? If small lakes Rockcrusher's dead on wedding bands seem to work in alot of lakes, bait the wedding band, also let out alot of line,I use a long leader as well off a willowleaf.Thers just so much a guy could could say alot is just trial and error fish the shoals good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Throttle View Post
    Awesome, I think I'm gonna try the egg at the end of the line idea. We went out last weekend and I ended up flipping my boat, so lost all my tackle gear (the little that I had haha). So needless to say I have a boat so we'll be along the edge of the lake.

You flipped your boat in Chilliwack Lake?

Brrrrrrr! if so, you are lucky to be alive, that is one damn cold lake.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca
    '90 hdj81, '82 fj45 with a big bbq tank (sold), '71 fj55 (sold), '74 fj40 'hybrid' (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    You flipped your boat in Chilliwack Lake?

Brrrrrrr! if so, you are lucky to be alive, that is one damn cold lake.

I got caught in a storm there last summer. Of course mother nature waited for me to try and paddle across the lake and then the wind picked up. The swells were about 2-3ft high, and I was in a ****ty canoe. All I could do is hang on to the capsized boat (luckily most canoes float even when filled with water). I was pretty much right in the middle of the lake when this happened too. There were quite a few people on shore and luckily they could here me yelling and waving an oar in the air. A couple motor boats even passed me but couldn't hear or see me. Thank god that the people on shore waved a boat down and pointed them in my direction. This guy and his 3 daughters pulled me out of the water after I had been in there for about 20 minutes. By that time I couldn't feel any extremities and was severely fatigued. I lost my shoes, cell phone, some beer, and my towel. I saved my coleman cooler though, believe it or not they work as floatation devices!!

Later that night I looked on the internet and found out I was in the deepest section of the lake, roughly 300ft if memory serves. If I had been in that cold ass Chilliwack Lake water for another 10 mins or so, I probably would have passed out and possibly drowned. This was in mid July too....

And the moral of the story is.....

BE SAFE OUT THERE, MOTHER NATURE CAN KICK YOUR ASS!

Mike

PS...Try trolling with a downrigger REAL deep. There's some monsters in there!
    08' ranger xlt 4x4 - 3.73 gears - 31" bfg ats - 12' aluminum on my roof

in most places a #2 panther martin works preety good
    Da HillBilly of Williams Lake
    Matt W

Too Many Damn projects
    1980 Toy Stepside
    1987 Ford DD
    1980 Bronco Buggy

I always get a a kick out of the sign (that faces towards the lake) that says in huge red letters

CAUTION, EXTREMELY COLD WATER

and you don't notice it of course until you're running back out the lake screaming like a girl 'cuz you have no nutz left.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca
    '90 hdj81, '82 fj45 with a big bbq tank (sold), '71 fj55 (sold), '74 fj40 'hybrid' (sold)

yeah it was pretty damn cold!!!!
    Thankfully we had friends around in a couple boats, and my friends uncle with his big boat with a 90hp outboard to race us to the other side where it was super hot!

I finally got the engine running again. I thought that I didn't get any water in the fuel tank as I had it running a couple days after flipping it. I tried firing it up again on Thursday and it wouldn't fire. I eventually found that it had quite a bit of water in the tank.... The tank is super old, I think its the original tank from 74 because its metal. It doesn't even have a breather on it, you literally have to crack the filler cap for it to breath. The cap was sealed tight, so I thought I might have been ok, but nope!

What the heck do you do with bad gas??? I don't think CT takes it....

I eventually realised that I'd dump it in the Honda Civics gas tank that I'm junking this week. It would be funny to see the guys at the wrecker draining the tank and smelling two stroke oil! haha

I ended up buying a new plastic tank (with a gauge that works!) instead of re-using the metal tank as its full of rusty junk at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    I got caught in a storm there last summer. Of course mother nature waited for me to try and paddle across the lake and then the wind picked up. The swells were about 2-3ft high, and I was in a ****ty canoe. All I could do is hang on to the capsized boat (luckily most canoes float even when filled with water). I was pretty much right in the middle of the lake when this happened too. There were quite a few people on shore and luckily they could here me yelling and waving an oar in the air. A couple motor boats even passed me but couldn't hear or see me. Thank god that the people on shore waved a boat down and pointed them in my direction. This guy and his 3 daughters pulled me out of the water after I had been in there for about 20 minutes. By that time I couldn't feel any extremities and was severely fatigued. I lost my shoes, cell phone, some beer, and my towel. I saved my coleman cooler though, believe it or not they work as floatation devices!!

Later that night I looked on the internet and found out I was in the deepest section of the lake, roughly 300ft if memory serves. If I had been in that cold ass Chilliwack Lake water for another 10 mins or so, I probably would have passed out and possibly drowned. This was in mid July too....

And the moral of the story is....
    !

the moral is wear a life jacket with a whistle.
    stock 99 xj classic, select trac, upcountry, towing, 8.25" rear

If you're going to the Hicks Lake area skip the larger lake and head out to the small beaver pond found to the north of the lake. There's a lot of fish there and they can be caught quite easily.

Greg

I fished Chilliwack lake on Fathers day, the weather sucked, but we caught a few fish at the north end of the lake. If you are trolling a wedding band with a worm and Willow leaf or Fort Fender are sure bets ( at almost any lake). I also have caught lots on a Black/ sparkle flat fish.
    96 4Runner, E-locked rear, Tundra/ FJ80 coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, 285/75/16 STT's

87 Supra,1JZGTE, BW 63mm turbo, 605 HP, 550 TQ

Check out my website: bicperformance.com

Your lucky to be alive mang. I lost two very close friends in that lake in 1997. I was supposed to go with them on that trip. They drove off the road at the point and down the cliff into 60ft of water. The Bronco was found upside down in 60ft of water. One buddy had gotten the other out but drowned due to the glacier temp of the lake. The rcmp divers found them with their arms around each other under water on the bottom.

piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Lo View Post
    Your lucky to be alive mang. I lost two very close friends in that lake in 1997. I was supposed to go with them on that trip. They drove off the road at the point and down the cliff into 60ft of water. The Bronco was found upside down in 60ft of water. One buddy had gotten the other out but drowned due to the glacier temp of the lake. The rcmp divers found them with their arms around each other under water on the bottom.

piss me off.
    I was there when another one back in summer 94, a car drove off and a little kid strapped in booster seat drowned with the car guess the parents had a bit too much . For fishing at chillwack lake I ll go deep the lake is spotty. right now go fish by feeder creeks.
    89 Dodge CTD 4X4
    93 Sidekick JLX 3" Calmini