BC 4x4 Forums banner

Yay for 52's!

8K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Backfromthedead 
#1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd throw up a couple pics of my newly completed 52" spring swap in the Jimmy... very impressed with the suspension travel!! It's got more potential than in the pics...a lot more!! (Tires aired at 30 psi doesn't help stability!) Looks like I'm going to have to lengthen my driveshaft and put in some mega-long brakelines or relocate the existing ones!! (Oh ya, shocks too!) While I was at it I flapper-disked the front half of my frame and hit it with the brush-on tremclad... :cool: I spent less than $300 on this swap, aside from my valuable time!! Rear hangers and all greasable grade 8 hardware from DIY4X4 in the states...check them out!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple more... the axle is forward about 2" over stock and I no longer have to worry about wrecking my bushwacker flares with tire-rub! She's got a great stance and only 4" of suspension lift... :cool:

Attachments

#3 ·
Nice job Mike!

The front tires look much better centered in the fender wells! . . . LOL!

btw, this weekend I'm picking up my '79 HPD60 with cross over, track bar, 14BFF, and rear shackle flip!

So, with 52s do you think you'll get a lot more lateral movement on the axle? Might think about a front track bar next.

:cool:

#8 · (Edited)
Nice job Mike!

So, with 52s do you think you'll get a lot more lateral movement on the axle? Might think about a front track bar next.

:cool:
So...I'm still learning about suspension setups...how would I go about mounting a track bar with this much suspension travel? A tab welded to the axle and one to the crossmember/frame? When I drove it I noticed some wobble that wasn't there before the swap (I was running 15 psi in my SX's before the swap, they are at 30 psi right now as I bought new ones so it might just be that) How will I know if the front axle is moving side to side? I think I may actually need one in the rear as well, when I hammer the gas the rear end really torques to one side... time to find myself a fabricator!! I'd love to learn, but my new house is going to eat up a lot of my spare time for the next while! :shakehead: Any advice anyone can give me on this is much appreciated! :beer

#4 ·
:agree:Looks good there Mike, and to think you were tossing the idea around of selling yer rig a while back!

#7 · (Edited)
I bought the soft top used along with a bunch of other parts like 10 years ago... if you want to make a template out of it, an upholstery shop should be able to make you one for a lot less than 800. I remember getting a reasonable quote from Iver's Boat Tops, but I have no idea if they are even still in business...

#9 ·
Can't spend too much time on this right now, at work.

Front track bar must follow the same angle as the drag link to avoid bump steer.

Good solid mount on the driver's side frame, then a mount on the top U-bolt plate of the passenger's side.

Do some time on Google.

Here's the set-up on the HPD60 I'm getting:

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks for the info, bro! Will a track bar limit suspension travel at all? (You can answer whenever, wouldn't want you to get fired for being on the comp.!)

#11 ·
Sawzalls, zip disks and flares are my friend!! :D I don't do mud at all, so really no need for a massive lift... and I wouldn't want people to think I was compensating for something! :p

#14 ·
In most cases a track bar is not required with leaf springs provided your spring hangers and shackles are strong and securely attached to the frame, along with proper U-bolts etc. If you find that your axle is allowed to shift side to side a track bar may be required but it is unlikely at best, unless you are running heavily arched lift springs, very narrow leafs or Revolver shackles or similar. I would look elsewhere for a problem first. If you do end up needing a track bar, the drag link and track bar should be at the same angle and as close to the same length as possible in order to work properly and not limit flex.

#15 ·
Hey, i am going to be doing the 52 swap and crossover steering on my truck this spring. I just had a few questions for you if you would not mind asking.

With your crossover steering, where did you order the steering arm that bolts to the pass side knuckle from?

The other question is if you have had any clearance problems with your drag link and the engine crossmember?

And last but not least, did you use the 2wd steering box or swap out the sector shaft into a 4wd box, and what pitman arm did you use?

Thanks a million,
Chad

#19 ·
I lurk from time to time, been super busy with college and stuff like that. Life gets in the way.
I am finally getting a project on the go which i am super stoked about.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Oh yea. i used to go under the name Chevrolet dog, or hound or something. had 50 posts

#20 ·
This will most likely my last Jimmy-related post, since I'll be handing over the keys to a new owner on Monday. It's been fun the last 15 years I've owned her, but I'm just not into having a vehicle that I spend all my free time working on anymore. Thanks for the solid advice I've got from you guys on here over the years! :beer Anyway, the steering arm is from OTT Industries... as was the drag link and tie rod. As far as clearance issues, everything works great, but I only have 4-5" of suspension lift. Once you're into 8" and up, I believe the crossmember needs to be modified. I used a 2WD steering box that I had rebuilt and ported for hydro-assist by Can Craft in Port Kells. Hope this helps...:)

#21 ·
Mike, if the new owner isn't on here let him know to sign up and introduce himself and his new ride.

Too bad we never got out wheeling together, but it's a small world and who knows what lies ahead for us.

Cheers guy and take care!

:canadian

#22 ·
Hey Mike, I hope you at least got some decent coin for it. I know you didn't spare any expense and put a lot of sweat into it.

I know where you're coming from with the lifestyle change. Mine's been a lawn ornament, decreasing property value on my block for the last year. It get's like 7 days of driving and countless hours of repair and modification the rest of the year.

Anyways, good luck man. Hope to run into you sometime.

Enjoy your Civic. LOLOL ........ had to get a last poke in there....

#24 ·
I ended up getting 8 grand for it. For something that's just sitting there, I knew it was time to let it go. I'm investing the money into my mutual fund/stock portfolio, so if my financial guy's ideas pan out, I can always buy another one down the road! :) I'm more into crotch rockets and other things like renoing my house, etc. that to want to work on a truck that I never drive. Oh, and thanks for the Civic poke, but I got rid of that last summer and bought a lifted '05 Powerstoke. So if I want to get away camping, I still can. (and a lot more comfortably too!) I'm going to be getting rid of it this year as well, though and getting myself an '07-'09 quad cab Tacoma TRD. My fiance and I are planning on starting a family, and I think that truck should be a good blend of form and function... Here's a shot of my F@rd in the meantime... :beer

Attachments

#25 ·
8 grand = someone got a good deal. Just think though, one less thing to worry about and when you're rich, build something better if you want to get into it again.

I figured after you got the house you'd be more focused on stuff like that. Again, same boat, trying to get all my finances in order so I can get into a place of my own.

But damn...first the Civic, then a Ford? At least you could've said the Civic was a commuter and cheap on gas.:poke: Minivan, here we come..............

#26 ·
Wow thanks for the quick response! Glad to hear you had some great times with the rig. Sounds like you have quite the plan worked out! and good luck with the fam!

I just two more quick questions.

Regarding the steering arm, did you run the 2.5" Raised arm? or just the Flat Arm?
http://www.ottindustries.com/dana44.htm

and were you able to use the pitman arm off of the 2wd box as well?

Once again Thanks!
Chad

#27 ·
My truck has a Dana 60 in it, they only come in 2 styles, regular or behind-the-axle steering. I bought the regular. The arm I used is off a '78 Bronco, they are hard to find, so I bought a new one off NSOR for around $110 bucks. I've heard that Cherokee arms work as well, they just aren't as heavyduty, but still plenty strong. I have a couple here that you can have for $50 for both of them. Shoot me a PM if you want them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.