BC 4x4 Forums banner

UTV or Side x Side ?

48K views 78 replies 25 participants last post by  cambo 
#1 ·
Can you legally make a Side x Side (UTV) street legal? I would like to get a Polaris Ranger RZR but was wondering if you can drive them on the road after making the proper mods.

#2 ·
Seat belts, turn signals, headlights, hazards, horn and brakes on all 4 wheels and you should be golden. You would think if it was that easy it would have been done.

#5 ·
You won't get any reliable answer here. Best to check the Motor Vehicle Act and an expert.

Good luck finding DOT/MOT approved tires though and an insurance agent that will provide the appropriate plates.

Its like alot of things though, its only illegal if you get caught.

#8 ·
City has lots of them insured here, and at the university here they are having to get insurance for the golf carts. all they need is the aforementioned..And I actually meant a sxs not an atv. I know someone has posted the legal requirements from the DMV site on here befoore. You can buy street legal golf carts....

#9 ·
No. Its not legal to insure an ATV in Canada for street use. Some municipalities turn a blind eye to it or allow you to insure them as limited speed vehicles (like golf carts), but you cannot insure them for general road use, even if you meet the DOT reg's. Otherwise I'd be driving one daily.. LR

#10 ·
I'll give a definite answer, no. :)

Any vehicle to be used on a public road must meet the minimum standards set out by CMVSS and the federal MVSR applicable to the date of manufacture. This includes crash testing, rollover thresholds, stopping distances, occupant restraints and a whole bunch of other things that these vehicles will not meet by design.

If there was a way it could be done, the maufacturers would already be doing it because I am sure it would be hugely popular.

#11 ·
ICBC says otherwise:
ATVs used for farming and industrial use

Before you can license and insure an ATV used for farming or industrial purposes, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when your ATV may cross a road. For more information about Operation Permits, or to get one for your ATV, please contact your local law enforcement agency.

Probably doesn't help the OP. Farm equipment and construction equipment can operate on public roads too. Cushman makes a tiny line of trucks that I see plated all over the place. They're always municiple equipment and probably have an special operating permit.

#15 ·
If you think Mermaid is wrong, why don't you prove that a Kubota SxS or a Gator or whatever CAN be registered as a vehicle in BC? Contact ICBC and get a letter from them explaining how to modify it to meet current CVSS standards, how to have it inspected and then licensed under what category. When you receive that letter, scan it and post it up here.

Instead of tossing out vagueries, prove that he is wrong (if you can).

Common sense would indicate that if it were possible in BC, people would be doing it for cost/environmental reasons. But they aren't. I wonder why that is?

BC doesn't license LSVs on public roadways (YET). Period. They can cross the road. They can use a roadway to go a short from one private land entrance to another (think farm vehicle going from one field to another) but you can't commute in your Gator from Port Kells to Coquitlam.

#18 ·
but you can't commute in your Gator from Port Kells to Coquitlam.
However there is some stupid slut that takes her effin moped East over the bridge at almost the same time I do. She rides waaaaay over in the slow lane, almost like she's on a side walk. Stupid POS can barely make the 60km/H required by law on the up-hill part of the bridge. At least when she gets to Johnson Hill she pulls over off the main road and drives the curb up.

I'd rather see a Rhino on the road than her. At least they can go faster and provide a bit more protection to the driver.

Tim...gotta get some outriggers on the truck to fix that stupid hag.

#16 ·
one could apply the same questions to you as you are employed to apply the laws .
You to are to be held to a higher standard also are you not?

I simply said that there is more to the answer that he gave which forgive me if i am wrong but i believe you have pointed that out in your post have you not?

#19 ·
Actually, I think there are some approved. It is left to the local city to yay or nay. Biggest limitation is that they are not allowed on roads that have speed limits greater than 50kmh and are limited to staying within city limits of those communities that have them approved. I thought Vancouver council passed a law allowing them last fall.

#22 ·
There are all kinds of road construction type equipment plated in BC. They are specific use vehicles and are allowed to travel to and from work sites. Most (almost all) of them do not meet standards however they are not sold as a vehicle to be used on a highway. There will always be exemptions for industrial type equipment to get plates but they are heavily restricted.

#23 ·
Interesting (and somewhat relevant) point made here:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Veh_Equipment.shtml

22) Can three and four wheelers (Class I ATVs) be made street legal?

Answer: No

ATVs that are manufactured with Certificates of Origin for "Off-road use only" may not be made street legal in Oregon and most other states. Federal law from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission requires that every ATV manufactured carries warning labels and statements in the owners' manual prohibiting use on streets and highways. These labels are required by a 1988 Federal Consent Decree with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. ATVs are not to be used on roads because of the danger to rider from possible interaction with other vehicles.

Not only are there the US Consumer Product Safety Commission laws, but US Department of Transportation federal motor vehicle safety standards for equipment and US Environmental Protection Agency emission standards for clean air govern vehicles that may be used on roadways. ATVs do not meet the US ODOT or US EPA standards for road use.
That is why the manufacturers' certificates of origins are labeled for "Off-road use only."
So emissions standards are another thing that prevents ATVs from being used on roads in some US states. I would imagine that we would have similar restrictions in Canada.

#25 ·
even in the case of dual sport motorcycles, its very difficult to get a bike that was originally sold as off road use only legal. The new rulebook specifies that the first point of inspection be the compliance label, and if it is labled as limited use or restricted use it can't be legally changed.

Its still being done though by inspectors who don't read all the rules :p

#26 ·
I remeber a guy I knew swapping his motor out of a KX(not street legal...retarted powerband, 2 stroke) into a KDX (Street legal 4 stroke)

#28 ·
As a bike guy, there are no street legal KDX's and all KDX's are 2 strokes. Having said that I totally understand your point. Just the other day I saw a newer KTM ring ding dinging his way down the street with a puff of blue behind him. All of the people who have spent their money "street legalling" their resticted use motorcycles will be in for a rude awakening soon.

#31 ·
Currently inspection facilities are improperly approving restricted use motorcycles for the street. They are using the "motorcycle" section from the inspection manual. The inspection manual's tab of "motorcycle" was intended for bikes with a TC branding of "motorcycle or MC" on the compliance label. A lot can be taken for granted on a bike with "mc" on the compliance label. We know it meets all apllicable laws that were in effect for a street legal bike at the time of manufacture. Because of that, there are many things that were not included in the manual, such as approved fuel tanks, approved fuel systems, meeting emmission and noise standards and even approved braking systems. RUM's do not meet these above items (and more).

The very first step in the new manual is to identify bike type on the compliance label. If type other than motorcycle or MC, stop inspection.

ICBC does not have a way of knowing if the bike is a rum or mc based off of the information they gather when registering so they will not be able to recall. That may change. What will happen is any bike stopped will be given a box 1 or 2 to report for an inspection they cannot pass.

At that point I would think the only recourse for a bike owner would be to go after the inspection facility that improperly approved it in the first place.

Once again, if it was as easy to make a rum street legal as putting on the right tires and lights, you'd be able to buy it like that right from the factory.

#32 ·
Interesting. Any particaular reason behind all the interest in doing this? I'm curious 'cause it seems to me that taxpayers and ICBC customers' money would be better spent focused elsewhere.

#40 ·
The interest in this is because we are responsible for overseeing the Inspection process in BC and in this case the inspections are not being conducted in accordance with the rules allowing unapproved vehicles to be operated on public roads.

Pretty simple really.

Where do you feel I should be spending my time?

#33 ·
why go through the trouble of trying to get a grizzly street legal when you can buy a samurai? prettymuch the same thing! an ATV with a roof!

#35 ·
probably alot more reliable than a samurai too I am guessing.

#37 ·
i persnally think its a good thing that quads and golf carts are not street legal. these vehicles were desiged for off road use and baisically way to dangerous on the road. and it doesnt help that some are fast with super crapy road manners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.