My FC170 Build

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My FC170 Build

My FC170 Build

I figured I would add my project. (even Joined up so I could post some photos)

The Project:

It is a 1963 Jeep FC170 (Forward Control) .
    I will add some updated photos (did not have my camera last weekend when I finished the floors and should be painting the cab this weekend coming up.

The Idea: 4x4 turbo diesel Camper.(Updated April3/08).....

Engine: Mercedes OM617 turbo diesel out of my 1982 300SD installed
    Trany: Mercedes 4 speed auto (not many options Installed (need to fab crossmember)
    Transfer Case: NP205 Divorced form Chevy/Dodge (HAVE)
    Axles: Stock (Dana44 Front/Dana53 Rear (4.88 stock) (too old, bad shape)
    New Axles: 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear (8 bolt), 4.09s
    Back:
    1976 trillium trailer see photos
    To do list:
    Cab finished, Power brake booster built (dash and heater modified to fit)
    Frame repairs, motor mounts and painted, springs re-built and re-arched 2.5 inches
    windshield ordered
    side window repaired

Assembly time!!!

Let me know what you think or any ideas.

Cheers Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JustGotInside.jpg 
Views:	2079 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	10232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JustGot.jpg 
Views:	4147 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	10233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JustGotInside_Backoff.jpg 
Views:	2153 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	10234  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windshield_rust_not_fixed.jpg 
Views:	1928 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	10235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Doors.jpg 
Views:	2220 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	10236  
    Last edited by thedjjack; December 22nd, 2012 at 10:30 pm. Reason: updating list

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: My FC170 Build

wow. thats definatly cool and diffrent.

that thing will be wild! sounds like a good and definatly unique project. but i gotta ask. how well will that thing wheel? like a mini mog? hehe
    1994 Toyota 4runner, Sold! 3.0, auto, 4.88's, aisin manual hubs, 8k hids, ome cruiser coils, sdori bj spacers, rs 5000's, 33x 12.5 bfg m/t, lockrite, trailgear rear discs
    1987 Toyota HJ60 landcruiser was stock and loving it, now soa locked on 35's

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

My buddy has a couple GM t-cases sitting in his garage. In Kelowna, where are you located?
    The true Redneck is at-peace with the world. They always feel safe (not just because they have guns in every room of their home), and they are not concerned with what others may think of their Redneck lifestyle.

Cool project.

I like the camper idea, that would be good for touring the logging roads - good visabilty from the cab. With a turbo diesel and some lockers that thing would do Hale Creek, Sunrise Lake and wheel all around those areas.

Keep up on the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by overthetop View Post
    My buddy has a couple GM t-cases sitting in his garage. In Kelowna, where are you located?
    I am in Vancouver, but have a forestry research site at the top of 97C (doing graduate work) so I am out to Kelowna pretty regular. Totally interested if your friend has a Passenger drop divorced transfer case. let me know what he wants for one. ([email protected])

Thanks for the comments. Should be OK off road (the smaller FC150 was built on the CJ5 chassis and this one is closer to a Willys wagon).

Leafs front and back. 7,000lbs rated (dually was 9,000lbs). Just looking for a field truck for research and something to get up the forestry roads. Trying to keep the weight light once I start building the camper!!

I get some updated photos soon...Cheers

Very nice find. I have a friend who's father use to build logging roads in the Princeton area. He had one of those things a very long time ago. Always said it was the best little bush 4x4 hauler made. Looking forward to watching the build. If it is an expedition rig. Perhaps you will want to keep it low with a low centre of gravity. I would consider an aluminum sided pop-up trailer (very light) or an Alaskan Camper (not so light) mounted on the rear frame. This way, you keep your traveling centre of gravity low.
    Mine -- 1991 LWB Nissan Safari (AKA GQ Patrol / Y60)
    Her's -- 1992 LWB Nissan Safari

VA7CFS

... "Even on board computers can't compensate for stupidity." GG

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Quote Originally Posted by canucksafari View Post
    Very nice find. I have a friend who's father use to build logging roads in the Princeton area. He had one of those things a very long time ago. Always said it was the best little bush 4x4 hauler made. Looking forward to watching the build. If it is an expedition rig. Perhaps you will want to keep it low with a low centre of gravity. I would consider an aluminum sided pop-up trailer (very light) or an Alaskan Camper (not so light) mounted on the rear frame. This way, you keep your traveling centre of gravity low.
    I been thinking that way....I want to have it so I can register it as an RV with a few seats in the back (two passenger is a little limiting). I am going to keep the back under 1,000lbs with a 5 foot 5 inch roof height inside if I can (Me and the wife not so tall!!). Was thinking Boler trailer but the are hard to find for the right price (broken frame no interior would be nice) since I think the lines would be great and you could build a cage around it (or just the seating area)....

There are two fc150 for sale in Princton area (wonder if one is your friends father's both narrow track fc150 with the flat head 4cylinder, one has a PTO on the back (have photos and the number for them if anyone is looking)

Going through Princeton tomorrow (home town) and then again on Sunday. The one I am thinking of is long gone. Someone must have collected these and brought them in. By any chance are they near the old Huff's Mill (now Copper Creek Ranch) of of hwy 3? I am around Pinceton fairly often and don't remember seeing them.

Got too many other things going right now - like busy kids - to do a project like this. But it sure would be nice to do one in a few years.

Looking forward to watching the build.

VA7CFS

saw them at Cawston Tire Service in November 2007 comming along Hwy3 from Kelowna.....

Cheers

I will take a look tomorrow if I have time. They weren't there in the fall last year.

VA7CFS

Re: My FC170 Build-few new Photos

Got the first coat of Red on this morning. Hopefully it drys so I can get three more coats. The other areas not painted will be black.

Cheers

Name:	IMGP3776.JPG 
Views:	1645 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	10250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3779.JPG 
Views:	1601 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	10251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3782.JPG 
Views:	1576 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	10252  

Name:	IMGP3784.JPG 
Views:	1562 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	10253  

nice, fire engine red would have been my first choice to paint that thing!!
    1994 Toyota 4runner, Sold! 3.0, auto, 4.88's, aisin manual hubs, 8k hids, ome cruiser coils, sdori bj spacers, rs 5000's, 33x 12.5 bfg m/t, lockrite, trailgear rear discs
    1987 Toyota HJ60 landcruiser was stock and loving it, now soa locked on 35's

Coat 3 (at least 2 more) and Mercedes is the donor motor, transmission, and seats...

Cheers,
    David

Name:	IMGP3846.JPG 
Views:	1269 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	10273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3847.JPG 
Views:	1405 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	10274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP3850.JPG 
Views:	1154 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	10275  

Name:	IMGP3851.JPG 
Views:	1135 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	10276  

i like it, but partialy because i have a 58 fc 170 sitting in my driveway here in calgary. im thinking of doing a quad cab version up because like you i find 2 seats limiting. Im finding some parts are esier to find than others. body parts, you are on your own. but mechanical are very close to the willy wagons and pickups. i even found some prebent brakelines on ebay.

In another post you mentioned having the block for sale, how much and where, and what have you got in the way of lifting it into a truck.

I have found an adapter to bolt o 700r4 chevy auto to the stock block ( doesnt apply here). the advanteges are of course od ect.

Let me know if you need a place to get brake parts for your axles. ive been using a place out of the states, and they are very good, and not stupidly priced.

check your frame for cracks around the leaf spring mounts on the front and back of the leafs on both ends of the truck.

hows the hunt for a windshield going?

also i thought that some early mercedes engines bolted up to a turbo 350 tranny. might make the tcase hunt easier.

good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions on either list.

oh yeah my truck is going to be a stock engine with a mucolloch supercharger, 700r4 and a tcase from a blazer ( passenger drop). Im working on a disc break setup with a hydroboost from a astrovan. Im also doing research on power steering setup for the beast as well. I plan on 32 inch tires ( from the 73 commando that is parked in the garage)

also as an aside axles from a wagonner are very close to the right width, and would make a good swap if what you have is FUBAR, also a post 80 wagoneer front axle would give you drivers drop, disc brakes and cheep easy to get parts and a d44.

Enough already

keith
    in calgary
    80 wagoneer
    parts truck
    +
    72 commando
    new project

=
    hell of a good time