BC 4x4 Forums banner

Off trail at whipsaw

45K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Kinslayer 
#1 ·
Just trying to find that line for the area, seems like everybody has there panties in a bunch these days over land use and I'm just trying to make sense of it all

So what is definition of off the trail?

Whipsaw has a few more difficult sections that don't run along the main trail, so just trying to decide what is good to go and what isn't?

Not trying to piss off anyone so keep yourself calm and obviously I'm not talking about obvious like fish bearing streams and driving the lakes

#2 ·
Think about it for a bit.

The area is ranch land. Is what you are doing inhibiting the ranching? Disturbing areas that are watering holes for cattle or other wild life?

It is not just about the fish. One must consider the native wild species that graze on the grasses and use the watering holes. In addition to the cattle.

Can a cow walk through? Cattle are not that smart and do get stuck in these off trail play holes on the Whipsaw.

The easy thing to do, would it be acceptable to take a picture of what you are doing, plaster it over the internet? If you think you would get flamed, do not drive there.

#6 ·
It is no more or less sensitive than anywhere else. It just has more opportunity for people to vandalize and not get caught.

One can do just as much damage in a green space in any community.

#5 ·
Again, think about it.

This is wildlife habitat that has been damaged. It has the potential to recover, if people would just stop driving through the soft spots and chewing them up.

This is not Stave.

Think of it another way. This area is someone's livelihood. How would you like it for someone to come and vandalize your place of business and keep vandalizing it before you are able to make full repairs? Making it not only harder to do business, but also more expensive.

#7 ·
So why doesn't the whole trail get shut down? And I understand that our green space is important, but where is that line?
You say the land is important yet want to continue to drive through it? Disturbing it in the process, so you can partially disturb it?

I like that area of BC and I want to be able to continue to use it. I like the idea that off to the side of the main trail there are more difficult obstacles, such as muddy areas, hill climbs etc; because let's face it the main trail is not a skill testing 4x4 trail.

I'm not talking about ripping up new areas, but the ones that are already in place.

#8 ·
Lets put it in plain English.

The whipsaw is not a trail or a destination to test your rigs capabilities and blow off testosterone. Enjoy the trail as a medium difficulty trail with some beautiful scenery. You want to test your rig and challenge your abilities go somewhere else that some consider a toilet....ahem Stave....

stay on the main trail...do not wander to mud bog. The Whipsaw is not a place for mud bogging. It is an INCREDIBLY sensitive area.....RESPECT IT.

#9 ·
I beg to differ, it is just as sensitive as any area in our province, why doesn't someone ^ go mark out some of these off bounds areas? Common sense isn't that common, and instead of internet bashing go do something about it, I'm sure there are honest ppl that just don't look at things the same way as some of you do

#10 ·
I have been part of efforts to mark the area. I have been part of efforts to block of some of the watering holes.

The signs get shot up, torn down and run over. The barricades are moved.

This is not a difficult trail. So what? No need to continue to destroy the area around the trail looking for a challenge. There are many places around that are a challenge. Go there instead.

I get what you are after. You want to be told it is OK to do whatever you want because someone else did. That has nothing to do with common sense. Only entitlement. Your type of attitude is putting pressure on the ranchers on the Whipsaw to close the area.

Go troll somewhere else.

#11 ·
Wow, another internet boss, that is not what I was getting at. I wanted to know what is what? This is the problem with you people who think your so self righteous and no everything, you get a more inexperienced person asking what is the right way to go about something and they get bashed in the process.

Sorry for trying to improve my knowledge, thanks for being a douche bag cheers

#12 ·
ROTFLMAO

You have been around since July 2009

You know better. You have seen the posts and know what "common sense" is on the trail.

It was explained what is what early on, yet you continued.

You are trolling.

#13 ·
Join date on a forum is a very accurate representation of knowledge . I figured it was a just question but I guess not, 4lo gave me the answer I was curious about and now I know that anything off to the side of the main trail are no go areas, thanks for clarifying

#16 ·
Drive where ever you want as long as it looks the same as before you drove in. A gravel off shoot would be ok, flowered meadow would be a no go, mud bog that you're going to make deeper would be a no, a rocky hill would be ok, a pond would be a no, driving up a creek would be a no.

It's common sense. Leave it as you found it. No one wants to go there to see a bunch of signs every 100' telling you what to do.

#17 ·
....and most importantly,don't post pictures of experimental/questionable adventures online for the nature nazis to view.you and your 4 wheeler will never do as much iriversable environmental damage as the government and the corporate world have achieved.wheel on and enjoy:)

#19 ·
Nope it's all good, just didn't want to be that guy and I wasn't sure on what would be considered trail and what isn't, everyone just says don't drive off the trail, well last time I came thru whipsaw there were tons of little off shoots that looked like they have been there for a while so I was just curious

#20 ·
Get r FKN done....that trail has been around for years....take the bypasses that have already been driven thru...the rest whatever make your decision..everyone gonna have an opinion if you ask on this site...and most of the opinions are from people who never even go offroad...just use common sense and go beat on your shit! enjoy BC

#22 ·
mitch686, you bitch about common sense not being common, but your not willing to go out there and use some common sense yourself?

thank God there isnt a list of rules telling you where you can and cant go and a sign every 20ft with a cop standing behind it making sure you do it.
and as long as we all go out there and think about the consequences of our actions there wont be.

#23 ·
Basically if it looks like a established road it is probably good, a mud hole or tracks in a meadow no good. Making a second track to by pass a obstacle should be avoided if possible. Same really as steve604 said , and sorry if the way Wes said the same stuff hurt your feelings but having to repeat well known off road guidelines over and over must get a little old.

#24 ·
I would treat it as a public road going through private property, like many of our gravel roads in BC. The reason parts of the area are of a higher sensitivity is the elevation... growing season (think greenery recovery season) is much shorter up there because its under snow for 8-9 months of the year. A tire track through one of the meadows would take much longer to recover than it would across someone's lawn in Surrey. The trees are smaller and shorter the higher you go, yet they are much older than a tree of similar size at a lower elevation.

Steve604's description is a pretty good way to sum it up : "Drive where ever you want as long as it looks the same as before you drove in"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.