What's the deal with Uninsured Cars?

What's the deal with Uninsured Cars?

Just curious about the laws of having more then one car un-insured cars sitting 1. In his parking spot. 2. Parked in a paved area that is not his parking spot.

I should also mention that it is kind of like a townhouse complex with 5 units.
    also, the one in his parkingspot is leaking powersteering fluid.

Just curious as to the rules...
    I hope they are not allowed, as the owner of the cars is a pain in the ass.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

I thing langley just passed a bylaw about un insured cars parked on private property
    storage insurance is allowed (thank god or I would be screwed )
    you said townhome,call the strata and bitch
    and start looking for a house,alot of places are starting 35year mortgages with 0 down
    go to invis (see troy)across from costco on 64th
    99 silverado RCLB,6inch lift,9k winch,35 bfg m/t,4.10's,5sp
    92 s10,fs jeep d44,ford 9",38s,sm465,duals,4.56's,spools,exo,212 crawl ratio
    69 Pontiac 2+2 convertable

Even though in some situations the parking lot may be considered a highway, I don't think in a case like this it would be appropriate for police to deal with an unlicenced, uninsured vehicle. For these purposes it would be akin to telling you that you couldn't park one in the driveway of your single family home.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

strata people will be your best bet. regular police have not much they can do.

also check the city by-laws about unlisenced vehicles and parking on the street
    79 F150 custom, 351 m, solid front and rear, 35" tsl boggers, 4" bds coils in front and 4" re-arched leafs in rear, trailmaster SSV shocks all around.

Originally posted by 99silverado
    you said townhome,call the strata and bitch

I rent, the townhouses are all owned by two cousins. there is no Strata..

Langley has a wrecked vehicle bylaw (go look on their web site) but in a nutshell, uninsured vehicles must be driveable or they have to go. That includes parts of vehicles. Like all bylaws it's only an issue if someone complains.

"Driveable" means the motor runs and the vehicle moves under it's own power.

Originally posted by Road Dog
    Langley has a wrecked vehicle bylaw (go look on their web site) but in a nutshell, uninsured vehicles must be driveable or they have to go. That includes parts of vehicles. Like all bylaws it's only an issue if someone complains.

"Driveable" means the motor runs and the vehicle moves under it's own power.
    "mustang" on this board was telling me he had bylaws officers telling him his car that was up on a Jack ready to have the tire reinstalled after a flat was a "wrecked vehicle"

in Abbotsford my bylaws officer told me the vehicle had to be "turn key" and go forwards and backwards any time they request it. So if your battery goes dead overnight cause you left your lights on, its a "wrecked vehicle"

Its not a police issue though, its city bylaws officers that take care of vehicles on private property.

actually police here dont even give parking tickets here, its only the bylaws officer who can ticket me for parking in front of my house. Luckily, they work the same hours I do, so they're off work when I'm parked here
    Professional Driver on a Closed Course. Do Not Attempt.

92 YJ. Its not Gord's anymore.

Originally posted by Dan

"mustang" on this board was telling me he had bylaws officers telling him his car that was up on a Jack ready to have the tire reinstalled after a flat was a "wrecked vehicle"
    If it's not insured then yes it's in violation. The way the bylaw is written in Langley, ANY car parts (like the windshield wipers in your garage) puts you in violation. But in Langley the bylaw officer won't make an issue of stuff like that.

In residential Surrey you're allowed one uninsured vehicle on your property. In agricultural Surrey (and residential) you're not allowed to park vehicles with a licenced GVW over 5,000 kg (except farm vehicles). So if you're a good citizen and change your licensed GVW for your pickup/camper/boat combo then you can't park at home.

then there was the time my Truck sat parked on the street for two months, insured, but it had not motor in it, but it was insured, so its perfectly acceptable.

but the perfectly running truck in my yard with no plates was gonna get me put in jail. Storage insurance is not acceptable to bylaws, its gotta have a current license plate, and then they are happy.

unfortunately I havent found a really cheap way to keep valid plates on the truck, so I'm paying full rate for a truck I drive once a year to go camping. I should really sell it and just rent a motorhome that once a year, it would be cheaper.
    Professional Driver on a Closed Course. Do Not Attempt.

92 YJ. Its not Gord's anymore.