7.5 to 8.8 axle swap

7.5 to 8.8 axle swap

im wondering if the 91-94 explorer 8.8 is the same width as the 7.5 in my 88 bronco 2

and if anyone knows what the gearing is in the 7.5

do i have to go with the same ratio as the one i take out if im only changing the rear end

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

cant say much about the width.. other than if its close you can use wheel spacers.
    i dont know what are your gears? look on the diff for a tag that says what your gear ratios are, the find an 8.8 with the same one.

no you dont have to go with the same ratio on the new axle: if you never plan on using 4wd again or you plan on regearing the front axle.
    the ratio has got the be the same front and rear or it will not work in 4wd. you can either find one thats the same or if you cant regear the front to match.
    98 Dodge Ram 4x4, 12v Cummins, BD Exhaust. stock for now upgrades soon!
    89 Toyota 4runner, 4" SAS, 2L-T Intercooled Diesel, Bumpers and Sliders, e-lockers, 35" MTR'S!
    85 Toyota longbox trailer
    88 Toyota ma70 supra 1jz twin turbo swap

The rear end of an Explorer rear end is a couple of inches wider then the B2 rear diff. As well the spring mounts are on the bottom of the tubes on the Explorer because the axle sits on top of the springs. You would have to relocate the mount pads anyway so that isn't a big deal. As for gearing it will propably be 3.45 or 3.73 in your truck and rare but also 4.10. The Explorer's typically came 3.55, 3.73 and '96 and newer had 4.10's. If you go with the newer diff you get the added benefit of rear disc brakes.

Hope any of this helps, sorry i don't know the exact width measurement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

You have to run the same gear ratios for the front and the rear diff. As for the width , you would approximately gain 3" total in width or length depending on which way you look at it...

thx im not worried about the gear ratio as im loosing the 4x4

i used a 2002 ? fx4 ranger rear in my old b2 bog hog has it now
    ceegee,s rules
    65 M450 44 boggers offroad \m/24.5 street,\m/ 488,
    power lockers 35 spline fnt pinon high, & rear 35 spline d60 460 c6-1 mated and1 divorced 205 on injected computer controled propane .
    59 merc 427 33 19.5 fully tubbed & STREET LEATHAL \m/666\m/and a 72 E200 pimp'd out van (RIP)