sputtering in drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sputtering in drive

hey i have a 91 ford explorer it drive fine when i'm driving but when i'm parked or in drive at a stop light it sputters and jumps
    could this be the fuel pump,fuel filter or what

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

same sort of problem it will sputter out when i go to lay on it it sputters and backfires sometimes, cleaned to air sensor and still does it, and if i'm on freeway and go to give it more gas it does that and also jumps a bit so i think that might be the tranny slippin, but anyone know why it sputters when i go to give it lots of gas
    06 Tacoma double cab short box, 6" susp lift, 35's w/ 17''s

mine does it only when stopped

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

SMOKEY, if your problem was occuring while driving I would say that it could be the fuel system. I would first check leads and spark plugs, some thing maybe failing here. Then I would check the idle control solenoid and make sure it is moving freely. Also check that the throttle plate is not gummed up. Another possability is a leaking injector. How is the fuel economy lately.....

Toyo05 your problem sounds to be a fuel starvation problem or fouled spark plugs. Have you ever changed your fuel filter or plugs. Both good areas to start at...

Did you check for engine trouble codes?
    MINT: Definition:

in mint condition
    in perfect condition: in perfect condition as when first made

Try this first. My truck did that and it helped. But now everthing has gone for s-hit, idles high, stalls, sputters etc. Pulled the codes and there is a problem with the the MAF at WOT, TPS is pooped and the HEGO(both) are running lean. Nothing but $$$ to fix. Bummer. I can pull your codes if you happen to be out this way. Might help you fix your problem.
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer

Social darwinism, Hopefully the dumbest die before they breed.

where are you located

Following in the footprints of BC's history Lone Ranger's Avatar
    Mine sputters and almost stalls when I fire it up, then its fine. Just started doing it too, but haven't been able to mess with it though as I'm still trying to fix the rear brake line. I should throw a code reader on mine too...
    Matt T.
    ----------------------------------------
    Ford Ranger nut

'09 FX4 Ranger with a mean owner

I'm in Pitt Meadows. Lone Ranger, your welcome to drop by if you want too.

Following in the footprints of BC's history Lone Ranger's Avatar
    Hey Grumpyguy, I just very well may take you up on that offer (assuming I ever get around to changing that brake line ). The Sami is doing so well on fuel I've been driving it lately LOL
    Matt T.
    ----------------------------------------
    Ford Ranger nut

'09 FX4 Ranger with a mean owner

Re: sputtering in drive

Originally posted by SMOKEY
    hey i have a 91 ford explorer it drive fine when i'm driving but when i'm parked or in drive at a stop light it sputters and jumps
    could this be the fuel pump,fuel filter or what
    What kind of plugs are you using? How do they look? Last year after I replaced my 4.0 I had some issues that ended up being a spark plug issue.

At idle, it'd miss like crazy. When accelerating, it'd sputter/backfire. I knew the problem wasn't mechanical (good compression, etc), and a fuel pressure gauge led me to believe it wasn't a fuel delivery problem (although injector issues were still a possibility). My next test was to put a timing light on the plug wires and I could see a very definite miss across the board. As well, when watching the ignition timing, it would fluctuate by a good 10-15 degrees.

I started thinking ECU issues after I ruled out air flow and crankshaft position sensors. Ultimately, as a last ditch effort, I replaced the plugs and the problem immediately went away.

My plugs had been in my previous engine for only a couple of months -- which is why I didn't replace them with the engine swap. They were Bosch platinums which were rumoured around the internet not to work well with EDIS. The el-cheap champion plugs that I threw in to test are still in the truck -- without a hint of the problem since.

-edit- Before replacing the plugs, I cleaned the MAF, replaced the IAC with a spare, replaced the CPS with a spare, replaced TPS with a spare, replaced the coil pack with a spare, replaced the fuel filter....and I had installed new plug wires with the engine swap. Nothing like taking the shotgun approach to fixing a problem.
    Last edited by sdillen; June 9th, 2006 at 07:45 am.
    Steve Dillen -- VE7DLN

'99 Disco 2....mmmmm....comfy.....
    - 2007-2010 President, Four Wheel Drive Association of British Columbia -

mine was the fuel pressure regulator on my bronco when that happened and on my neon it was my plug wires would arc to the hood i had to get new wires and a shield pad for under side of the hood

Originally posted by Lone Ranger
    Hey Grumpyguy, I just very well may take you up on that offer (assuming I ever get around to changing that brake line ). The Sami is doing so well on fuel I've been driving it lately LOL
    Your welcome to pop over any time. I've got a couple of brand new factory front brakelines if you need them. E-mail ( [email protected] ) me if you need to pull those codes.

When it comes to plugs I have found that the plain jane Autolite's or something equivilent work the best and most reliably. It just doesn't seem worth the money to pay for the extra platinum or v-groove or whatever the gimmick is. If you run and MSD, Jacob or stronger coil then the plain jane's really show there strength.