slumachs lost gold mine by pitt lake

Twit

slumachs lost gold mine by pitt lake

hey has anyone heard of the story about the lost gold creek up the northern part of pitt lake, supposidily it was a motherlode and could be worth millions nowadays, nuggets knee deep they heard in this one letter

http://www.edgarramsey.com/books/slumach.php

i know where a gold/silver mine shaft is around pitt lake, im going once the snow clears because i finally have a methane meter

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Errrmmmmm....
    I don't know if it is methane you need to be worried about in a gold mine, perhaps carbon monoxide is a far greater danger. Methane is something that would be produced in a coal mine would it not??

Lots of gold/silver mines around here, and there is no problem with CO in them. CO is a byproduct of combustion. Usually in old mines, the biggest problem is lack of oxygen, or stale air. So, like I've always said, if there is no ventilation (a breeze felt on the face) stay out! That's the only guarantee the air is safe to breath.

Re: slumachs lost gold mine by pitt lake

Originally posted by ABCanK5
    hey has anyone heard of the story about the lost gold creek up the northern part of pitt lake, supposidily it was a motherlode and could be worth millions nowadays, nuggets knee deep they heard in this one letter

http://www.edgarramsey.com/books/slumach.php

i know where a gold/silver mine shaft is around pitt lake, im going once the snow clears because i finally have a methane meter
    Yeah I heard that one over 20 years ago :-). There seem to be plenty of these kinds of stories. Another fun one is the bucket of platinum buried near Granite City.
    '92 YJ, 35's, 700R4, Atlas, Currie 9", Currie hp44.
    '08 JK Rubicon, 3" TF lift on 35" KM2's.

Originally posted by kootenaycat1
    Lots of gold/silver mines around here, and there is no problem with CO in them. CO is a byproduct of combustion. Usually in old mines, the biggest problem is lack of oxygen, or stale air. So, like I've always said, if there is no ventilation (a breeze felt on the face) stay out! That's the only guarantee the air is safe to breath.
    combustion is not the only source of carbon dioxide. It is also produced naturally by moulds and alge. since carbon dioxide is heavier than air it will settle in the low parts of the mine and produce your "stale air"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide
    I'm not really happy with this link but it will do for now....

edit: you may be confusing carbon monoxide with carbon dioxide
    carbon monoxide is the incomplete burn of hydrocarbon fuel, by simply breathing you are producing carbon dioxide....

Originally posted by westcoaster

combustion is not the only source of carbon dioxide. It is also produced naturally by moulds and alge. since carbon dioxide is heavier than air it will settle in the low parts of the mine and produce your "stale air"
    edit: you may be confusing carbon monoxide with carbon dioxide
    carbon monoxide is the incomplete burn of hydrocarbon fuel, by simply breathing you are producing carbon dioxide....
    He mentioned "CO" which is carbon monoxide, isn't it (as opposed to CO2)?

...lars
    Too Much Driver For Car

Originally posted by lars

He mentioned "CO" which is carbon monoxide, isn't it (as opposed to CO2)?

...lars

I re-read my origional post and I was the one that had carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide mixed up......
    It's the carbon dioxide you need to watch....

Twit
    yeha sorry messed up the gasses, i have some rocks from around the top of the shafta nd there is tons of gold/silver veins in the rocks... imagine in the hole

There have been roughly 12 people that have died trying to search for that mine. Its been speculated to be in other locations too, like around Stave Lake

this sounds like fun!
    drive it like you stole it!

Following in the footprints of BC's history Lone Ranger's Avatar
    Yeah, I've heard about it and its kinda one of those backwoods legends almost everyone around's heard of but nobody really knows about. I have no doubt that the amount of gold there has been grossly over-exagerated over the years, but also knowing the amount of gold there is in BC, I don't don't doubt at all there very well could be a sizable amount to be found up Pitt Lake. Whether or not Slumach had found the proverbial "mother lode" or not, its still an interesting story.

My biggest doubt about the whole thing is knowing the amount of work it would require to dig and tunnel for gold, and for one man (even a sizable person) to do it alone (because that's what the whole story's about - just him out there and I think an Indian gal or something) would be impossible. The reason I mention this is because the versions I've heard mention that the entrance to the mine is underwater while the tide is high, so that'd mean that you'd be able to see the site from a boat cruising up Pitt Lake. Now, that there means that its an underground operation, and that means that to be able to tunnel means you'd have to get rid of the ore somehow and you'd leave traces of your presence whether or not you like it. The only way around this that I could think of would be to take the ore out into the lake via boat and dump it.

100 and something years of BC forestry growth can cover a lot, that I know, but I doubt it that it would be all that hard to find if you're looking hard enough. I think its an awesome myth, and like any other, I kinda get bummed out when its discovered as it loses its charm. It also very well may have been a story created from Slumach himself when bragging to someone... Who knows?! Need thing to look into, though. Just my .02 LR
    Matt T.
    ----------------------------------------
    Ford Ranger nut

'09 FX4 Ranger with a mean owner

Twit
    well the shaft i know about i know for a fact not many people know abotu it, i belive he used the indian girls to pull him back out of the hole under this cliff, then he killed them off after they carried all his gold

Well i say we all get a couple boats and start hunting for this mine and when we find it ,Well we will think of that when we get to it
    2001 Dodge Ram 1500 , 5.9lt, quadcab on 35's

There is adits on the west side. There is some really nice minerization with good values. These are in protected areas now. Slumach more then likely robbed and murderd prospectors coming throught the area.There might be a lost mine but the isn't enough info one what he was finding.Was the gold corse, rounded, nugget, flakes, flower, float with gold, etc?Proper record keeping on prospecting during these times were usally not kept unless there was a big find.The areas around pit do have the potential. The area however is rugged and hard to access. With old hard rock mines you have to worry about dead air, rotten timber bracing, winzes/shafts that may have been covered with timbers and have dirt on them. unstable stopes and hanging rocks. If you feel tired all of a sudden or disoreintated turn around and get out. Have someone out side that can get help if you don't come back. Carry extra batteries and know how to change them in complete darkness. I usally carry 4-6 chemical lights (glowsticks) as a further back-up. Have the knowledge in the back of your mind that if something happens like you get trapped like a collapse. You will die either from lack of oxygen or hypothermia. No search and rescue team will try to dig you out in a unstable adit. There has be alot of deaths from exploring old mines in areas like Nevada.They have something like 120000 known abandoned adits and shafts from mines. We would only have something like I guessing but its probably around 10000 and thats a high number. We have different weather in BC and natural erroision helps to reclaim some old mines making there exact locations very hard to find. Most of the people that have been killed in Nevada actually fell down shafts while walking at night, riding bikes etc.. Anyways that is probably enough educational BS. Just be careful cause there has been people killed looking for this mine.The adit you found was more then likely a exploratory adit and there might be a record of it. If you want I could see if I could find it through minfile or a old ARIS file. Might be some info in a minster of mines report. I have most of them and I do know that companys were looking for a lost mine in the area. Here just to end it here is another legend. There were reports by indians that large white sailed vessals were on Harrison lake long before the white man came and it was said that they had a mine some were on the lake. Sounds like BS right. Well it might not be because they now know that the Spanish were the first to visit the west coast. And in the minster of mine reports there is a entry of high value quart veins that to this day have not been located. Here's a link to more legends
    http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/treasureleads.html

See if you can get your hands on the Gold Trails and Ghost Towns with Mike Roberts and Bill Barlee. They are very cool shows, they talk about Slumach's gold in one episode but I can't remember which one. http://www.chbc.com/modules.php?name...owpage&pid=103

Here's another link to info about Slumach's gold: http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/mine.html
    Paul Gagnon
    Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
    "No Brain, No Pain"

More vehicles than driveway...