Throttle Body Spacer...Does it REALLY Work?

Throttle Body Spacer...Does it REALLY Work?

I'm interested in getting one of those throttle body spacers that creates that "Vortex" of wind. The ad states "The unique dyno-proven "Helix Bore" causes a spinning action of the incoming air charge as it passes through the throttle body. This beneficial air-charge carries into the combustion chamber, producing a super-atomized mixture and resulting in tremendous gains in mid-range power, torque and fuel efficiency."

Is it worth $64? Have any of you ever tried it? Ant feed back would be helpful.
    -Aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

We did a study on these while in College and they do work. However they need to be about 1 meter long before any measurable results can be recorded on a small block V8. Longer for an engine that breathes less.
    The only thing they would be good for at a size that actually fits under the hood would be as a phenolic damper, or in layman's terms, a heat isolator. It would take about 2 years at $64 to recover the benefits financially ;-)
    If they worked the auto manufacturers would use them as opposed to tuned intake runners, TB's and ports. Seen any on anything but a Hyundai Pony?

Silverback
    I read up on this a lot before I redid my intake. Most people claimed that the TBS alone did not do much (noticeably), but combined with a less restrictive tube and a open cone-style filter the results are much better. I've got one in there with a K&N filter and a good air tube that has a heat shield on there and the perofrmance is way better. I agree that the "vortex" design probably won't make a huge difference unless you're running a massive engine, and I wouldn't pay $64 for one. I had my mechanic have his fabricator guy make me one, except he included it in the total bill with some otehr stuff so I can't remember what it cost exactly. I think it was somewhere bewteen $20-30. I just bought a gasket from Chrysler and told him to make it about 1.5 inches thick based on that design. Fits perfect.

I can't stress this enough: under *controlled* circumstances with a 350 cid Chev motor producing 180 hp and every engineering student submitting a design NO measurable hp or fuel economy gains were recorded at under approximately 1 meter. This was using an assortment of aftermarket products as well as the shop designs. It did lead however to massive throttle lag.
    A long straight tube on the air side of the carb or TB with no vanes, few bends, no internal sources of turbulence, a cold air source and a large, quality paper element returned the best HP and fuel economy gains without modifying the mechanics of the engine.
    Also of note Shell Silver motor oil (no longer available) produced 2 HP more than other motor oils in the same engine. We did not test synthetic oils or additives because these would have 'contaminated' the engine. Some motor oils actually reduced HP but I can't name them.

What kind of filter element Sparrow? A cone shape, cylinder, square, or ???

Gonna go rework the air intake on the Datsun, the filters right on top of the carb now, I've been wanting to relocate it anyway to suck cold air instead of hot air and get the noise a little further away from the firewall (damn cars too loud) so what would you recomend for tubing diameter and filter element?

I'm thinking tubing the same diameter as the carb opening but would I bet better off with an airbox and a flat paper element or a cone filter element on the end of the tube.

Unfortunately I have to have a bend to get the air into the carb
    Professional Driver on a Closed Course. Do Not Attempt.

92 YJ. Its not Gord's anymore.

The style didn't seem to matter just the surface area. WIX performed the best for filtration and flow. A cone will give you the most surface area for the size but you don't have to limit your decision to these if you have room for other styles. F*** (sorry I am not allowed to mention the name but I hope you can figure this out!) was a poor choice but that was before this 'triple protection' thing came along so I can't make a comment on their new filters. Canadian Tire and Chrysler Corp. filters are F***.
    Whatever fits your application with the largest surface area.
    Oh, and for every 25 cm of air tube length you of need to increase the diameter 1 cm. Now this is specific to a low output 5.7 and may not be a concern for you.
    The bend at the carb/TB is one of those things that can't be avoided. Unless of course you want to punch a hole in the hood!!
    Try to keep the airway as 'clean' as possible. That is to say nothing to create turbulance like a weld bead or poor fit at the throttle bore.
    Also of note the F*** oil filters we tested were substandard. Use WIX or a generic copy if you can. I think UAP/NAPA is the only souce though and they tend to be pricey for parts. Bosch was also a good choice if you can find them for both air and oil.

Check this new throttle out:

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...partid=i707531

Just ordered one at Sport Trucks since I was over for the show and shine. Guess I get to be the guinea pig.
    I just put on a 6"x9" K&N cone filter attached the the throttle intake hose with a Rusty's Off Road air tube (You can check it out here: http://www.rustysoffroad.com under the 'performance' tab) and it made a noticeable difference. I found a cool web site that prompted me to do that mod, and it explains things better than I can (here: http://www.bigcherokee.com/intake.html ).
    Once I get both parts in together, I'll post to see how well they actually work.

I've got the 2.5L and have recently installed a 4.0L throttle body with noticible results! My spacer is due to arrive any day now so I'll also let you know how it goes.

All that remains is replacing the stock airbox and a new cat back when the stock one is due to be replaced. Then I'll be done, as that'll be as angry as I'll be able to make those 4 squirrels I guess.
    2003 TJ Sport, 4.0L (new to me, back in the saddle!)

Crappy driver...in training raskal's Avatar
    Where di you get the new TB and how much was it?

thx

Got it at "Gary's" and it was part of a bunch of stuff I got a package price on. So individually I don't know what I paid but I've seen people charged anywhere from $50 to $100.

hey im rebuilding my motor and i was wondering if it worth getting the throttle body spacer and where can i get one

You can get a spacer from anywhere that sells 4x4 stuff. I bought mine through EBay. It works great and is worth the money I paid. I still have to downshift on large hils but the engine is definitely pulling stronger through the gears. I'd recommend one.

does it work

hello does this spacer work with the inline six 4 L even though it has multi port fuel injection system