BC 4x4 Forums banner

Help.... wiring electric choke edelbrock 600cfm

17K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  85_GMC_4x4 
#1 ·
so i got my motor into my van... runs great but just does not want to start when its cold... like i can sit there and crank it for 30-40 seconds before she will fire.... did a tune up and timed it up properly... still wouldnt fire from dead cold in the morning but as soon as it did it would run great.... so this morning i tried again and realised it must be the choke.... I have an edelbrock 1406 (600cfm with electric choke) i pulled off the air cleaner and just held the choke flap shut with my hand and it fired up in half a second..... i see there are two connections comming off the side of the electric choke mechanism, one goes to the carb body to ground it and the other one has nothing... is this supposed to go to constant power??? or accessory power??? or what????

help would be appreciated

thanx:beer

#2 ·
1 wire should go to ground (carb body).

The other wire should go to +12V that is switched by the ignition.

Keep in mind tho: The power turns OFF the choke as the engine warms up. So right now, the choke also needs to be adjusted.

#3 ·
85_GMC_4x4 said:
1 wire should go to ground (carb body).

The other wire should go to +12V that is switched by the ignition.

Keep in mind tho: The power turns OFF the choke as the engine warms up. So right now, the choke also needs to be adjusted.
Also try and find a true +12V sourse that doesn't share other accessories. Or run the wire strait to a spare ignition +12V connector in the fuse box.

#4 ·
Truckstuff said:

Also try and find a true +12V sourse that doesn't share other accessories. Or run the wire strait to a spare ignition +12V connector in the fuse box.
Good advice.

Depending on the vehicle, if it was factory carb'd and built after about 1975ish, there should already be wiring in place for the electric choke. It's just a matter of finding a wiring diagram.

#6 ·
Dramus said:
FWIW, I ran my edelbrock electric choke directly from my battery. It ran great that way for years. I've also seen guys run the choke off the alternator hook-up, and that worked fine too.
Are you sure? Running it directly off of the battery without some sort of a switch will cause you nothing but greif.

The choke will stay open... might as well not run a choke at all. Plus this will be a constant slow drain on the battery... I'd expect to have a dead battery after having the vehicle parked for a few days.

#7 ·
thanx for the help guys.... wired it to a true 12+V while ignition is on and adjusted the choke so it closes all the way on startup and now it fires up mint first thing in the morning....

cheers:beer

#8 ·
kogee said:
thanx for the help guys.... wired it to a true 12+V while ignition is on and adjusted the choke so it closes all the way on startup and now it fires up mint first thing in the morning....

cheers:beer
Glad to hear it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.