Will a 12.5 inch tire fit on a 12 inch rim?

Will a 12.5 inch tire fit on a 12 inch rim?

AS the title says, have 12 inch wide rims and am just wondering if a 12.5 inch tire can fit on the rims?Can anybody shed some light on this please.
    90 Jeep YJ, 4inch lift, rebuilt tranny, and 33's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

These rims are 15x12 and I was thinking of getting 33 or 35 12.5's and was wondering if the rims are going to work I do not think I have ever seen anybody with the settup.

theoritcally it woul woork...however, your true tire width is not going to be 12.5 icnhes...probably more like 11 or 10.5 inches....whereas the actual rim width will be a full 12 inches....so you can see it probably really isnt a good idea....seems way to easy to blow the bead just makign a turn or regualy street handling....dont even think about airing them down either
    85 toyota x-cab 33's

i have 33 x 12.5 swampers on 12 wide white spokes. works fine but with my truck the 12 inch rims created problems with the steering arms, something to think about... as said though probably a good idea to run a smaller rim, which i'll be doing soon
    Chels
    7/73 V8J40

If anything your rim is too wide.

I'm running 35x13.5's on a 15x10 rim and it looks just about perfect. The skinnier the rim, the less chance of blowing a bead.
    85 GMC 3/4T 4x4
    7" BDS Supsension Lift
    35x13.5x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's
    Dual Fuel: Propane/Gas
    Fozzy Locked 14B Rear End

i have 15x10 black steel wheels and when i first go them, i was runing 31's that were 10.5 wide. they worked o.k
    i now run 33's at 12.5 wide and they work great. only lost a bead once caught on a root aired down to 10psi. that and a lot of skinny pedal pulled it right off. the benifit is, easy to put the bead back on a wide rim.
    jay

No Problem. I have some BFG mudders, metric versions of 35" x 12" ish tires on 16" by 8" rims. Never blown a beed in 3 years. Run on road @ 45psi & off at ~25 psi. Even wear too.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
    ------------------------
    1998 Chevy Z71
    6" Suspension Lift
    35" BFG Mudders

Ok the general concensus has been I can do it but is usually not advised, I just got these rims in a furry of spree spending and now I am thinking I should sell em and go for a skinnier rim, crap.

If you're gonna wheel it do not compromise. Get the 8 inch rim.
    Even a 10 will leave too much rim to far out without the protection of the tire bulge. This will create a lot of unncecessary rock rush and posibility of draging the tire off the rim on a root or something.
    The little underustimated difference between a 10 and an 8 is that most 12.5 inch tires will be "pinched" inside of the 8 inch rim. So not only air preassure holds the tire beed plastered to the rim but also the sidewall's natural tendency to push out.
    With the 10 inch the sidewall is actually expended to the rim by air only. This difference plays a big role when aired down!
    A 12 inch rim would be a real pain in the anal area off road...
    My build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/1022756-sidekick-tracker-pickup.html