Importing a truck

Importing a truck

I was wondering if anyone has brought there truck up from the states. And what problems the you ran in to. Any info would help. Thanks nick

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

its not hard if you do it right. try and be a dumbass to save a few days or dollars can really stick ya in the ass and leave you without a truck.

first thing is take it to US CUSTOMS, where they will take it for 1-3 days to check the vins and make sure its all legit. once that is done u go to canadian customs to declare it and such. you will have to pay .145% in taxes on your vehicle so long as it is a domestic. if it is an import (not made in US) u will have to pay a duty, what that cost is i dont know.

ontop of that u will have to pay like...160 bucks or something to get it some canadian vin nums and such. and then you have 45 days or so to bring it within canadian regs (changin spedo bla bla bla) to meet canadian inspection standards.

thats it. i may have miss something but i dont think so. gonna have to do this myself in june.
    the more i hear from the canadian government, the more respect i have for my dog.

I belive that if the vehicle is 15 years or older it is much easier to pass the inspection too.
    Quote Originally Posted by snacks View Post
    once i figure out what to do for a career i will at least make $40 an hour i am sure so it's just a matter of time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

I doubt taht you'll have to change the speedo as the KM/H is there on american vehicles, just smaller. My american Samurai has no changes to anything what so ever.

You will also need to get it inspected and aircared
    Happened to my friend when he took his 95 neon to live in the states for a year then move back to

You will have to get it inspected, and newer vehicles need the speedo changed over and daytime running lights added.

ya after 96 or 94 u need daytimes.
    the more i hear from the canadian government, the more respect i have for my dog.

I did this a few years back and its much easier if the truck is more than 15 years old as already stated. Basically I’d got to your local autoplan agent and get the “how to import a vehicle” pamphlet and also ask them any questions you have. All I had to do was get a written bill of sale from the person, (if it’s a private sale), stating there name, date of sale, and the amount sold for. You will also need the "title" certificate for the vehicle. If your driving it back on your way down stop into the Canadian customs side and talk to one of them and tell them you plan on buying and bringing a truck back and is there anything they would recommend you do/get, basically I did this so the guy know me when I came back with the truck etc. etc. On your way back with the truck declare to the customs officer that you just bought the truck in the states and you want to pay the GST and do the paper work on it etc. etc. Make sure you have all the paper work I listed above then go in and pay the GST and do the paper work. If its less than 15 years old you will have to pay an additional fee for bringing it across. You will have to get an inspection within 45 days of bringing it across before you can license it here. I think that was everything I did, mind you that was before 911 so you best talk to an auto plan agent about any new regulations they might have imposed.

Thanks for the help

sorry to revive an old thread, but it's all good info.

i'm about to make an offer on a US vehicle and after reading the above posts my question is how do you go about getting insurance and plates for the vehicle so you can bring it across the border?

cheers,
    mark

Thanks for the info!

One more question: I read through the stuff about the 'recalls' but am still a bit confused as to how it actually works:

Do you take the VIN to the manufacturer/dealer, they run it through their computer and check whether or not the vehicle has been recalled or not. If it has been recalled a letter is printed saying so, if not then what happens?

So, the recall stuff only applies to vehicles newer than 15 years? If so I'm in the clear, as the vehicle i'm looking at is a rust-free '85.