What is best all around truck for daily driver and part time wheelin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is best all around truck for daily driver and part time wheelin

Yah I'm lookin at buying a truck. I want something thats not a complete pig on gas but has enough power for some 35's and some deep mud hole's. I don't want to spend a fortune either. Well any coments would help.
    Last edited by rippin rabbit; February 25th, 2004 at 08:37 pm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

i think you need to re assess what you actually want...then wait a month and see if you want it then....

if you do....sounds like a toyota or jeep.
    the more i hear from the canadian government, the more respect i have for my dog.

for daily driver and good offroad id say 88 or 89 4runner with v6 with 4" suspension lift and 2 inch body lift and throw some gears in it. leave it IFS if ur just gonna be doin mud and mild offroad. easy on gas and will have enough axle and power for 35"s if u throw gears in!
    88 or 89 because the roof still comes off those years with the v6. you will still have an excellent on road ride and be able to do road trips in comfort.
    unlike a jeep!
    this is my opinion.
    thats not broken! its "CUSTOM"

4-Runner...

I'd recomend the runner too, but 33's with a bit of body lift, some shackles, and crank up the tortion bars a bit and you get get away without gears, and still have a nice daily driver. Also, the pre 90's runner (before the body style change at 90) alll have removable tops which is wicked in the summer time.

I wouldn't recomend the Jeeps cause of their poor gas economy, and reliabilty issues that Toyota just don't have.

go toyota all the way

I doubt that a Toyota V6 has significantly better fuel economy that a Jeep I6. As for reliability, I've owned two Toyotas and two Jeeps and IMO, there is no big difference btwn reliability.
    They have different strengths and weaknesses but I found neither to be superior to the other.

...lars
    Too Much Driver For Car

Not to mention that a jeep of say 92 with the new style roll bar will be less money than a 89 toy. Also a jeep can be lifted alot cheaper than a toy. Power wise the 92 4.0ltr puts out 185 hp. Not to sure on the toy hp. The jeeps are less prone to seals leaking. Just a few off the top of my head. oil pump seal, oil pan, rear main,s. Now the jeep's do leak as well at the rear main but from what I have seen not nearly as much as toy's. I have worked on alot of toy's. Now the toy's have there pro's too. nicer more room and hold value a better. The repairs I mentioned are not overly difficult to fix. But the they are a common problem. The Toy will also be more prone to rust. check the frame rails near the rear wheels. Other then that you will have to decide what is better for you.

Jason
    Jeep yj 5.0ltr full size axles 4.10 gears d300 twin sticked 37 mtr's 10's of lift and lots more.

Originally posted by Wesota
    I wouldn't recomend the Jeeps cause of their poor gas economy, and reliabilty issues that Toyota just don't have.

Thank you Captain Biased!

i owned an 88 3.0 4runner 5spd and i found that it had way more pep and rev'd easier than the 4.0 and had way more top end the jeep 4.0 seemed to have alot more bottom end. not that the 3.0 didnt have good bottom power just that the 4.0 has much more bottom end grunt. the horsepower ratings on both the motors are almost the same with the 4.0 having about 10 hp more but these are 2 very different motors with very different characteristics.

by the way no matter what u get, get a manual the automatic robs too much power.
    thats not broken! its "CUSTOM"

go toyota, you can build a wicked trail rig for much less that you can build a HEEP. I can feel a Jeep vs Toyota argument starting up....................
    86 Toy,SAS,highsteer, Locked f/r,22RE, Flatdecked, 37" MTR's and a ****load of tube, custom everything *RIP*

Now an 87 Turbo XtraCab, Rebuilt motor pushing 10 PSI and cali box. SAS, rears up front, chevies in rear, bobbed 17", 35" Krawlers. Marlins Dual T-case with 4.7's etccc

i though the arguement ended here....

Originally posted by bcwheeler
    get a fullsize chevy, parts are cheap everywhere..... and they are awsome trucks, real men drive fullsizes
    the more i hear from the canadian government, the more respect i have for my dog.

Originally posted by iroc22

Thank you Captain Biased!
    I'm just poking fun at Jeeps, I've had two Jeeps One Yj and a Cj, and both were nothing but problems fo ME. I'm on my fith Toyota, and my first Runner. And have had fabulous luck so far, and was just passing my experiences along with my biased oppinion as result of those experiences!

Originally posted by Nickzilla
    i though the arguement ended here....
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    get a fullsize chevy, parts are cheap everywhere..... and they are awsome trucks, real men drive fullsizes
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there really an argument there to be had?!! I think he's flat out being sarcastic!!

Originally posted by Wesota

I'm just poking fun at Jeeps, I've had two Jeeps One Yj and a Cj, and both were nothing but problems fo ME. I'm on my fith Toyota, and my first Runner. And have had fabulous luck so far, and was just passing my experiences along with my biased oppinion as result of those experiences!

haha I was just poking fun at you as well. I have never owned a Toyota myself to give an accurate opinion on them to newbies. Newbies should have plenty of first hand experience comparisons and examples of failures/adavantages. I have lots of experience through friends with other common models but if it's second hand information, the newbies have to wade through a bunch of hearsay and that's how untruths about vehicles start

Parts and cheap and widely available. No disputing that.

The original poster wanted something that wasn't a "pig on gas." So, if you're commending a Chevy, it'll have to be propane or Diesel.

...lars
    Too Much Driver For Car

I wouln't be too quick to rule out full sizes. Get the right gearing and engine combo and keep your foot out of it (until you need the power and then at least it's there, unlike my Toyota which is seriously power challenged) and a fullsize can get OK mileage.

None of my three Toyotas got particularily good mileage, my current one with a 22RE is at least passable. With a trailer or 1000lbs in the bed my big truck gets better mileage than the Toy in the same conditions. Reliable they are, though.

And just to stir the pot,

Toy ownership is getting kind of embarrassing lately, with all the geeks out there buying them. Kind of like Trans Ams were back in the early 80s.