BC 4x4 Forums banner

Crosby Clamp installation

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Project_Toyota 
#1 ·
So I broke my winch cable. Only lost a few feet off the end. I want to put the hook back on, and clamp the cable with Crosby clamps,

How many and how far apart for 3/8" cable?

Or, who can crimp it locally ?

#6 ·
The common school of thought (old bcit chart lists it this way also)for 3/8 cable to 1/2 cable is to use use three and do them 6xthe diameter of the line apart (2 1/4 inches apart for 3/8) remembering to leave a tail on the dead end or do them as per the recomendations of mfgr http://www.slingchoker.com/sling2/general/xviii/xviii.htm

#7 ·
According to my handy-dandy 'Pocket Reference' My info says that for using 3/8" wire rope and wire clips, you should have a U-bolt diameter of 7/16, 2 of them, spaced 3 1/4" apart with 6 1/2" of rope turned back. Torque the nuts to 45 ft-lbf, load the wire and then retorque again. When you put the cable clamps on the wire, the U-bolt side of the clip MUST be placed on the short, turn-back side while the saddle (the side with the nuts) goes on the long site (the live end that goes into your winch)
And that is about all I know - straight out of the book.

Sean

#8 ·
When using Crosby clamps you use this saying "Never saddle a Dead Horse" which means you put the saddle on the long side of the cable.

You can put a farmers eye into the cable but you won't beable to use a thimble which really isn't necessary for temp use. A farmers eye is just as strong as the cable I have been using a long 7/16s cable skidding logs with my truck. I haven't pulled the eye off I have had good yanks on it the truck weighs 8000lbs I have another 1000lbs over the rear tires for traction.

Working with 3/8s cable is a piece of cake start working with 1" and larger cable where you need a 3/4 drive ratchet with a 4' cheater pipe to tighten the crosbys.

#9 ·
Ahh, thats the info I was looking for. I'm just gonna get it crimped tomorrow and throw the clamps in the glove compartment for next time I have a dumbass moment and snap the winch cable. It was a little stressful being out in the snow and no longer having any means to attach the winch to anything.

#10 ·
Dan you have access to the nicopress squezers? I have a pair at work I can bring home if you want to do that at home. i'll have to look for the larger one though, any idea how big the nicopress's for 3/8 cable start out as?

#14 ·
Dan said:
Uhhhh, you lost me Cory. I don't have any of those things.
nicopress is those little things you slid the able into then squeeze, once sqeezed they look like a short lump of brass or steel on the line. what is normally used on winch cable to make a permanent eye?

#15 ·
If your going to get a new eye in your cable. Try this instead.
Get them to put a 1/2" Heavy duty thimble in the eye and don't put the hook in it. then you can just put a shackle into the loop And connect it to your strap, hook or bumber of another truck. That's what I did on mine.

And the sleeves they put on are Aluminum, brass or a steel S505, but the S505 has to have a flemish eye(the cable is spliced together).

I am in the cable industry, I work at Bison Wire Rope out in poco.
The # is 942-4766

Colby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.