rear axle swap for 89 f150?

rear axle swap for 89 f150?

i'm looking for a beefier rear end for my 1989 f150 xcab,short box. I have a pretty heavy camper for it and I dont think the stock one likes it too much.

I think it is an 8.8 in there right now not sure of the gears. Is there anything that will bolt up to the stock position??

What about a rear end from an f250?

Rhys

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

You have to keep in mind a 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton there isn't much you can do to try increase the load carrying capacity as the frame and springs can't take it.

If you want to upgrade rear axles you can go with a 9" Ford but it will probably require you change the perches on the axle and have the driveshaft modified. If the truck has ABS brakes you will have to try find a way of disable it because the 9" Ford doesn't have a exciter ring for a ABS.

What don't you like about the 8.8 Ford ?

The last option is get yourself a 3/4 ton if you want to haul heavy loads

A 9" is a direct bolt in as long as you don't have ABS. The 9" isn't stronger than the 8.8, but it doesn't have c-clips so it is a good option. If you want strength then the 10.25 is your only option. If the camper is your only concern, throw in another 8.8 and put in some airbags.
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

Yeah I am looking fro some airbags right now. I figure that will take a bit of the load off. Thanks for the advice.

Rhys