Toyota axle swap into 85 Nissan

Toyota axle swap into 85 Nissan

Two questions...

Is there a front leaf pack, longer then a stock toyota's, that will work with toyota leaf hangers? Nissan body mounts are located at the point where I should put the frame to shackle mount so a longer leaf spring may allow me to adjust the mounting position.

Secondly...I am considering putting the toyota engine, trans and transfer case and mating that to the Nissan tranfer case, making a dual transfer case setup. Has anyone done this? I asked the Toyota guys for some dimensions to see if this is a feasible application.

Thanks,
    Rob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Toyota axle swap into 85 Nissan

Originally posted by Robman
    Two questions...

Is there a front leaf pack, longer then a stock toyota's, that will work with toyota leaf hangers? Nissan body mounts are located at the point where I should put the frame to shackle mount so a longer leaf spring may allow me to adjust the mounting position.

Secondly...I am considering putting the toyota engine, trans and transfer case and mating that to the Nissan tranfer case, making a dual transfer case setup. Has anyone done this? I asked the Toyota guys for some dimensions to see if this is a feasible application.

Thanks,
    Rob.
    You can do all that for sure. Just off the top of my head, Waggy leafs will work with the toy hangers - they are longer and you just have to spread out the hanger a tiny bit as the Waggys are slightly wider than the Toy stock springs.

Go to http://www.nissan4wheelers.com/n4wheel.html and look around the Skidplate alley as there is probably more info there than I can post regarding the 720 T-case and Toy conversions on SAS's. Also another write up that may or may not be of interest.
    http://www.nissanoffroad.net/mudfreak/index.htm
    '90 Pathfinder SE
    Sas'd. D44s, 5.38's, 35's, Locked rear, Waggy 7 pack front, Chevy 63's rear, etc, etc.

Soon to live in a box downtown in a alley yoshi's Avatar
    Go with the Dana 44 front axle its great and it has the pumpkin on the driver side already saves you the headache of mating t-cases and adapter and Blaa blaa blaa together. go with what me and clenchedtuna did dana 44 and ( reliability )
    all that trouble of changing engines, trans, t-cases and axles may as well buy a toyota and save yourself the trouble. ( buying all that stuff is probably the same cost of buying some old toyota then put the work into that ) less hair pulling that way.

Hey Rob my Great uncle use to say "If you have the money do what you f*cking want to do with it !"
    Old truck1991 Nissan Pathfinder on 36" swamper SX
    Solid axle conversion
    Dana 44 front w/5.38 and locked
    Ford 9" rear w/5.43 and a posi
    5.0 mustang HO motor
    New Truck
    1986 GMC 1 Ton 350/SM465/NP205
    Dana 60 front/14 Bolt rear
    14000lbs PTO front/9000lbs warn rear
    39.5 Boggers

toy axle swap into 85 Nissan

I've already got the drivetrain (including rear axle and steering) and rebuilt it for less then I could do a full front end overhaul with Nissan parts ($1200 in parts alone!!). Also I've already fabbed the bracketry, the next step is to fix it to the frame, so I need to see if I can find a longer leaf pack that is the same width as Toy, otherwise I'll just set it up to run stock Toy leafs.

...for Yoshi...most toy frames are rotten, good ones are hard to find for cheap (ie $2000), and secondly the trouble of dropping in toy engine trans and t-case is to mate to the nissan t-case effectively creating a dual t-case setup which will give me many and ultra low gear ratios for wheeling...otherwise I'd agree.

Sounds like alot of work. and can you do a Dual t-case setup on your on for so cheap that you will save money rather than buying one. (if so tell me how)
    I remeber when i was young i had all these crazy ideas like changing my 1959 chevy impala to a V8 from a I6 and auto insted of standard but its still on the yard 99% done and only cost 11,000 big ones. The next best idea was to do a SAS nissan it went fine but VI is a diffrent story

So Robman Fab away and dont forget to post some pic of how its going.
    Solid axle conversion
    5.0 mustang HO motor
    New Truck
    39.5 Boggers

Hey there robman

good to see that there is more people interested in nissan/datsun

one of my buddies is doing the same thing to his nissan right now...actually he is almost done it now....gots to do all the fine tuning and finish off the steering...

i dont have a clue what he all did to make it fit all i know is that he used a 82 toy front end.

good luck
    BEn
    91 Samurai..breeze lift..33s..weber.header. Orange tinbox.

post some pic of it for us i want to see one of these rare nissota's trucks. nissota good one i crack myself up. i drive a nissonco
    Solid axle conversion
    5.0 mustang HO motor
    New Truck
    39.5 Boggers