BC 4x4 Forums banner

Jacobs Electronics ignition

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bry-guy 
#1 ·
I just figured I'd relate my experience so far with Jacobs' Omni Magnum, since there seems to be a definite lack of info about Jacobs stuff - at least that's what I found while trying to research it!

I purchased and installed the Omni Magnum (dual coils - one low RPM, the other high RPM biased - and ignition module in a single package) on my '77 F-150 running a stock 390, and it immediately made a difference. There is _zero_ throttle hesitation, even when the engine's cold, and throttle response overall is much snappier. I can definitely feel the difference in the seat of my pants - she's just quicker, and much smoother than before. Jacobs also claims increased fuel economy (always a boon when running a big block!), but I haven't had it installed long enough to prove that out...

Installation is almost laughably simple - it took longer to mount the unit and make the wiring look neat than to actually connect it. With Jacobs' EZ Connect kit, you simply hook up the stock coil output to the Jacobs trigger (which is already wired to the Magnum itself), and run a high-tension lead from the Magnum to the center terminal on the distributor, run power to the Magnum, slap the fuse in and you're done. Jacobs does say that to obtain the full benefits of the Magnum you should regap your plugs to 0.055" (which I actually haven't done yet - I figured I'd try it out with the stock gap (0.044") first)... It's also fully waterproof, although their instructions recommend avoiding submerging it completely...

I haven't seen any direct comparisons to MSD stuff, but the Magnum worked out to be significantly cheaper than a comparable MSD ignition module (6AL, if my memory serves correctly) and off-road coil (epoxy-filled).. Hrm. Not much else to tell ya, except that I'm a fully satisfied customer so far...

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for your opinion. I've been wanting the Jacobs stuff, I know a guy who runs an old dodge demon, he used to run MSD and then tried the Jacobs because of a money back guarantee promotion they once had and he loves it.

I've read the "Doctors guide to optimizing your Ignition" by Jacob himself, its a great book, this guy has a lot of brilliant ideas, and I picked up between 3 and 5 mpg in my little datsun by tuning the distributor as described in his book.

Dan.

#3 ·
Sooo... you like jacobs stuff eh? well the only time Ive seen somebody truly stranded because of ignition problems ( this was back in '92) it was his jacobs ignition that cut out and fried the module in his hei dist. 'cause jacobs units are encased in epoxy once that thing fries out just throw it in the garbage!!! oh yeah this was on the whipsaw and the dude was totally screwed!

------------------
just typing my inner monologue, again?

#4 ·
I'll keep that in mind, airzuk...
To be honest, I haven't heard much about Jacobs being unreliable - the vast majority of what I read was to the opposite.

It would definitely suck to have your ignition crap out on ya in that kind of situation, though...

#5 ·
Ive got the MSD 6 OFFROAD(waterproof epoxy filled) module, their high energy coil, and super conductor wires in my 95 F150 302. Bought it in Aug 99 and my first module crapt out in November 99. Mopac replaced it for me under the 1 year warranty no problem. I was really dissapointed as it wasn't cheap. $315+$70+$110. Anyways the truck runs way better with this setup and even the gas mileage is better. I just hope this module lasts as the warranty is now over. JUst my two cents................

------------------
James King
95 F150 4"lift on 33's
Surrey B.C.

#6 ·
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I didn't use the Jacobs wires (which they obviously recommend
)- I already had Accel 8.8mm hi-po wires (installed by the prev. owner, and in good shape), and the Jacobs tech I talked to said they'd be fine...

#7 ·
Normally its a matter of hooking the original ignition back up and away you go. Guess if you run the HEI you'd better carry a spare module if thats gonna happen.

Us ford people wont worry about that. When you put a jacobs in you take the wires from the distributor to the Jacobs moudule. If it dies, hook it back up the stock ford module. No problem.

Dan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.