Reminder to newbies - get your rig ready BEFORE going into the bush - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Reminder to newbies - get your rig ready BEFORE going into the bush

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMinimalist View Post
    So...I just bought a '96 Suzuki Sidekick JX and it has solid recovery loops welded onto the frame (the stock recovery points) they look good to me for an attachment point, am I right or do I need something else?
    it is hard to say with no pics, but usually they are enought for a medium pull (lets say the weight of your vehicule)... that exclude shock load (like if you use a chain between 2 vehicules with bumps).

Of course if you are stock 4 feets in mud be carefull, try to use both of thems to work together...
    I broke my mom mazda 5 factory one by winching it in fluffy snow... there aint no warranty usually...
    Originally Posted by Tmax:
    now please enough with the drama for fuck sake

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Okay thanks for the info...will have to snag an aftermarket bumper with some better attachment points then.

gotta love princess auto , my wife hates it when i go shopping there, im like a kid in a candy store lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Thing is that if a trailer ball does break you now have a nice heavy round cannon ball headed toward the other rig. Plus it's easy for the strap to slide off.
    If your bumper is strong enough (not stock) unbolt the trailer ball and put a heavy duty shackle through the hole.

On a side note I also hate the stock tow hooks on the front of TJs. The opening is not big enough to hold a strap securely, and the end is pointed so if the strap does move out of position it will get punctured by the hook.
    I've seen this happen... The tow trucks tail gate and rear 1/4 where totaly demolished!! It sheared the pin that holds it in the reciever. If it would have been a bit higher it would have come through the back window of the truck and probably killed a few guys!! After seeing it happen I would strongly recomend NOT to do this. Just sayin'
    73 Chevy SWB, 383 Stroker, 8" lift, 36" TSL Super Swampers
    75 Toyota FJ40, 2F, 2.5"OME, soon to be on 33" shoes..
    2012 Silverado LTZ, "Old Maning It"

Friends call me a"Dirty Bearded BC Redneck"
    FTW

bring it to parkhill transmission in pg. they will fix it right. we deal with 4x4s all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Just a friendly reminder to any newbies to get your rig ready before setting out into the bush.

#1 - do you have at least one good recovery point?
    Hooking to the bumper or the axle is just asking to break things. Looping a tow rope over a trailer ball on a stock bumper is a good way to kill someone. REAL tow hooks bolted on to a factory approved mounting location or a class III hitch are the only ways you can safely tow a rig. Some aftermaket bumpers have tow points built in. If using a trailer hitch you either slip the loop of the recovery strap into the reciever and put the pin though it or remove the trailer ball and put a shackle through the bolt hole.

#2 - do you have a recovery strap. Not a tow strap intended for rolling a honda down the road, not a chunk of old rope, not a piece of unidentified chain; a recovery strap designed for pulling rigs out of serious stucks. It should be rated for at least 3 times the weight of your rig. NO HOOKS!. Hooks make great projectiles if something slips.

#3 - does somebody know where you are going and can find you if you don't come back?

#4 - do you have enough food and water to spend a couple of days in the bush in an emergency.

#5 - Travel in groups. Two rookies are twice the potential for trouble. Try to link up with a club or other experienced wheelers in your area.

#6 - know when to say no. If you are worried your rig can't make it or you are not comfortable with the situation then stop. Your buddy who is egging you on isn't the one who has to fix your rig tomorrow.

#8 - Don't Drink and Drive. Not only is it every bit as illegal to drink and drive in the bush as it in on a public road, it's just plain stupid. Wheeling is a sport that requires planning, driving skill, and reflexes. Drinking takes all that away from you, and eventually will cause a stupid mistake and then a broken truck (and maybe even a death). Save the beer for after the trail. Ditto to pot and everything else.

#9 - use the buddy system......send your buddy first
    Ok, understand.

These are really important rules. But probably everyone for himself can add or subtract items of this list. Good post thanks.

Will take note of those tips

The whole topic of useful information, it is a pity that I did not read it before

Will definitely take care of these points.

I found this info useful.Thanks!