Hedley creepy cabin, inhabited!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hedley creepy cabin, inhabited!!

Last week we were up exploring nickel plate area by hedley. We walked to the red cabin along the river, it was a mess and the water was pretty much going through it. there was a early 90s ford pickup with no plates on it at the start of the path followed by an old couch and freezer, by the warning signs. I climbed up the bank and saw smoke coming from the larger cabin. Then we saw a large amount of smoke coming out the chimney followed by barking of a large dog coming our way. We then left quickly but still leaves me curious! From what I can tell its all crown land there, I am assuming squatters? Maybe some of you with more local knowledge know. It was at least 25 degrees out that day sink have no idea why they would have a fire going.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Hedley creepy cabin, inhabited!!

sounds like someone is living the dream...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

His nickname is "Dog Man" (has more than one big guard dog), and, yes, he is squatting there for a few months now. He got kicked out of another place he was squatting on, and found this place where so far nobody has bothered him. Property was (is?) owned by someone from the States, but hasn't paid taxes in years. A "friend" of Dog Man who gave him rides back up to his place, after his shopping, was murdered in Hedley a few months ago, still no one charged for that murder.
    We always stopped there at the cabins when we took a ride that way , but not anymore.

So creepy. I've come across a couple squaters' places in the woods, both times there was no one home, but both times I heard noises in the woods coming towards me. Spooky when you're alone with nothing on your but a pocket knife. I got the hell outta there.

Thats really creepy about the dog guy and murders. Just thinking how bad things could have turned out. Even though we had a rifle for bear protection and there were a few of us I'm still creeped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    His nickname is "Dog Man" (has more than one big guard dog), and, yes, he is squatting there for a few months now. He got kicked out of another place he was squatting on, and found this place where so far nobody has bothered him. Property was (is?) owned by someone from the States, but hasn't paid taxes in years. A "friend" of Dog Man who gave him rides back up to his place, after his shopping, was murdered in Hedley a few months ago, still no one charged for that murder.
    We always stopped there at the cabins when we took a ride that way , but not anymore.
    I was just up there yesterday, and he's definitely still there. The cabin just past the creepy red cabin had a few presumably large dogs in there barking, but then they went silent. I'm guessing he was inside watching us. Place is littered with crap. Wish I had read this thread before going down there. Sheesh.

And the barn structure down by the power-line and the trestle remains was a littered mess. Two-to-three large dogs in there barking to get out. Also went quiet after a minute. The place is locked up crudely. Nearby there's many square plywood structures filled with shelves of bottles of some sort. All locked up.

Too bad, I was going to go back and explore more... but I think it's safer to just stay away ;-)

Regardless, both cabins (by the creepy red cabin) have the name Engstrom on the doors. What's the history there?

Cheers! ~ Paul.
    2012 JKU Sahara with a Bunch of Junk
    Hey! Check out my blog at http://overlandjeep.ca

IIRC, Engstrom was the prospector who built the red cabin and took over the older one.

The wife and I were up there last summer geocaching and noticed sounds coming from the cabin (not the red creepy cabin, it is obviously unihabitable, but the newer cabin in the clearing across the creek). I took a closer look and the dogs inside started going mad, sawasign on the door that read something about "going into town, will be back later". We did find the geocache, and as always had the boom-stick to keep us safe, but it was still a little un-nerving running into what we had thought was an abandonded cabin.

makes me think of deliverance. "squeal like a pig".

Creepy about the murders, I was in Hedley the same weekend it happened! Only time I've ever been to Hedley...

Eeek. The area looks so cool too, was gonna plan a trip up there this year but now I'm a little hesitant. Where exactly is this? Near Nickel Plate Lake or Apex?

His name is gary, he's actually a very friendly guy.
    If your in the area stop by and say hi to him, he doesnt mind if people drive down to the cabins as long as they arent vandalizing or stealing stuff.

The bigger cabin was apparently built in 1939? And then the little red cabin thats now flooded was built in the 80's by a prospector that took over the property up there.

dont know who "owns" the property, but i geuss you could say gary does since he lives there.
    Its a beautiful area to explore, lots of history up there for sure.
    87 hilux on 35's

Re: vigora in New York

^^^ So this is what BC4X4 has become huh? Posts in every thread. A spammer hang-out. Lovely.

Anyways, Gary. Hedley. We were out a couple weekends ago, met him on the road and asked him if he needed a lift. We drove him onto his property and even had a campfire cook-out with him. His dogs are VICIOUS if you don't know their names. He tells may great stories, is 100% self sufficient, only goes into town when absolutely necessary. He explained the murder to us and made sure to include the fact that he has been examined and re-examined and found to be innocent. Nice guy, just treat him with friendliness and respect. Simple. As for land ownership, it's the Crown.

We checked with the RCMP when back in civilization and his story checks out. He's not a person of interest. Is it just us or is Hedley going to hell in a hand-basket?

Oh ya: at Gary's request, no pics.

Those are some of the best people to meet. They can teach you so much about not needing civilization...not to mention the years of stories he prob has. I for one would like to meet him.

I know this post is old, But I have a couple questions about this, do to prior experience in the area. I believe I know exactly where you are talking, by chance at the start of the road is that Ford an old Black One? Windshield Caved in? We drove down to that cabin a few times and never saw anyone there and then 1 time a friend and I were driving down the steep section just before the Cabin and a guy came flying out in a Red Ford Pick up truck directly towards us. Luckily we had some weapons on us that day just in case of emergency, we never had to draw them however the guy the Truck seemed extremely suspicious and he peeled out of there.

We decided to check out the area, the guy had a complete self sustaining setup there, however the very odd thing was his license plate had expired in 1998. It was BC plate as well, and he had no temps hung in his windows. He also had 2 dogs that seems extremely vicious.

Just curious if this is possibly the same guy? It has to be our stories all seem very convincing. Im just curious who said this guy was a nice guy? Like I said he came plowing towards us in an old beat up Ford and did not look happy to see us.