Google Earth as a navigator?

Google Earth as a navigator?

I have been primarily using google earth as my planner and navigator for wheeling trips. On the computer at home I use the full version of Google Earth but on the iphone the full version is unavailable which is far less useful. On the computer, if the area I am planning to go to is from a photo from winter time it is hard to see the roads, but I can check out older photos of that same area and see the roads quite clearly. On the iphone this option is not available which can make it a tad more difficult.

Is there a better app people use for navigating then google earth? Or is a tablet a better possibility?

Or are the atlas' still peoples' best bet???

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Google Earth as a navigator?

Hello Chauncey,

If you are going to use something to navigate through the back woods, I highly recommend getting a copy of the back roads maps.

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/

The books are very well made and great for planning a trip. They're about $20 a piece but well worth it. I have a copy for each region in BC, all depends where I end up. These are my off-road bibles and I don't leave the highway without them. They also have an app for your phone although in my experience, it doesn't work that great. Using a phone is ok, unless you find yourself in a dead zone where there is no signal. with the books, you'll never have to worry about that. Take a look at the books online and see if it's what your looking for.

Safe journeys and please be careful out there.

Lovin the BC outback since 1971

Member of 4wdabc

Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself – George Bernard Shaw.