BC 4x4 Forums banner

Snow Chains or Cables

11K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  dash 
#1 ·
What do you like better chains or cables?

#2 · (Edited)
Both are great traction aids under certain conditions.

Cables are usually lighter to use, and take up less space in your vehicle, and may be slightly easier to install, but are really only good for already plowed roads or small amounts of snow. They are probably not intended for daily use.

Chains are better for almost everything else, including ice, deep mud, and deep snow.

Take time to test-fit your chains or cables to your tires before you need them, or you might find that they don't fit while you're laying in a puddle of slush on the side of the road.

I prefer chains.

If you plan on driving in really miserable conditions, you should consider getting chains for all four wheels.

#3 ·
if you had one set wpould you put them on front or rear?Ive experienced the rear end trying to swap out with chains on the front only and braking going down hill.some guys say do it other say rear only.Im sticking with rear what do you think.

#5 ·
Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I'm bored today and this is a topic I enjoy. I have purposely chained up for off road snow wheeling. What a blast. Going up hill chaining the front gives great traction and better control, less fishtailing which can happen in deep stuff. And we were so deep that if we spun out we were high centering the vehicles on the frames. Thank goodness for winches and tug straps. But going down hill!!!!! Wow! I had chained an old FJ LandCruiser on the front and went down a road making fresh tracks. I could see the snow pilling up in front of the vehicle until it broke over the hood!! Amazing. Just remember, we wheeled that day like that on purpose and came prepared, otherwise it would have been a risky venture.

On caveat of chains on the front is that there is more "things" for a chain to hook onto or destroy while on the front, such as rubber brakelines and steering parts, and possible having the chains hit the fender wells while turning. But if you can hook the chains up nicely with enough clearance, then it will do well. Carry some bungees or rope to help take the slack out.

I now have two set of chains for both ends but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Maybe this next winter.

#6 ·
Why not bring back an old thread in the heat of the summer! I am also in the heavy duty chains group. I went to a truck tire shop and bought 4 v-bar chains sized for my wheels, extra cross links and connectors, and carry a chain making tool. I originally got them for my 12,000lb welding truck, but have found that these chains turn the jeep into a machine. Like Crusherfield said, watch out for the extra slack on the fronts. those real short rubber black bungees are good for that. Also, I bought these rubber 6-star bungees for the outsides of the wheels that make keeping the chains centered and balanced easy. I can find a pic if needed. Lastly, watch that you don't have any cross links flipped around inside out. Much easier to do than it sounds, especially in the dark or snow. The clip on the end of the cross link that connects it to the rail chains can chew up your tire's sidewall if the sharp ends are facing inwards towards the tire.

#7 ·
Hello, I have a complaint about a member on this forum named " Grove " He likes to hide behind his computer and make vulgar comments on anything he doesn't like. He recently made a disgusting reply to an item I have for sale, what gives him the right to make such comments, why should he care what I have for sale. I looked at previous posts he has made, same thing more foul language unwarranted. In one reply he swore and threatened another member because the fellow didn't buy a 'light bar' for him.
Enough is enough, get rid of this guy !!
ROARK

#8 ·
YOU SIR ARE A LIAR..........Steve604 made the post swearing jokingly in that thread about cheap Chinese knock off lighting, NOT ME.
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?...mo-lightbars&p=1268962&viewfull=1#post1268962

There ya go, ROARK is a LIAR and just mad I made fun of the cheaply put together van that person is selling and wan'ts anyone saying anything bad about it to disappear.

You've been here since 2012 so you've clearly had time to see people comment on peoples stuff for sale, some of its good some of it is bad.

If you do not want comments to come your way about what you have for sale, post only where people cannot reply to it.

Have a nice Sunday.......go for a drive and settle down and clear ya mind man.

#9 ·
I was reading about tire chains, and was excited because I was given a full set of trucker chains I need to shorten and set up for use on my 37s and then this.... I can appreciate the frustration but go hijack some other thread lol.

So about the chains, I need to cut em.... You guys talk about the link making tool. Also, ill respond in a bit with a picture of the locking style but im unsure how to go about "locking" them up its a half circle type of device. Pics to come

thanks dudes

#10 ·
So about the chains, I need to cut em.... You guys talk about the link making tool. Also, ill respond in a bit with a picture of the locking style but im unsure how to go about "locking" them up its a half circle type of device. Pics to come

thanks dudes
The tool you are talking about is known as chain pliers or a chain tool. Basically it designed to open up the ends of the cross links so that the links can be removed from the long runners. Pretty handy tool. I lucked out and found one at an auction a few years back. As for cutting individual links, use a big set of bolt cutters or a cutting wheel on a grinder or chop saw.

I think I know the locking device you talk of. It can be a bit tricky at first to figure how they work, but once you do it, it makes perfect sense. It's my favorite design, but they can be prone to bending while in use, thus making them a bear to get off the tire. I carry about two or three different sets of pliers with me so that I can straighten out the lock if it gets bent.

#11 ·
Question about chains and tire clearance:

Running 32x10.5 tires right now on a lifted Xterra (2" BL, 2" SL), and looks like I have enough room to fit the more aggressive v-bar chains; however, if I fully stuff the wheel it looks like it'll rub :(

In the market for a new set of winter tires. I'm split between running no chains so I can keep my 32" tire size or stepping down a tire size to 30.5x9.6 -> but seems like the narrow tire would be so much worse for actual offroading and driving in the snow (less float). Any thoughts? Usually I see folks wheel without chains in the snow - and if I get studded Nokian LT2s I'm probably going to have at least some grip on ice logging roads

#12 ·
In my experience I would say that running a skinnier tire as opposed to a wider one is not a bad choice. Both tires perform differently and have certain advantages over each other. True, skinny tires don't "float" as well, but they dig down for traction. Old skool, tall, high traction skinny tires were the tire of choice for deep snow some 30+ years ago, add chains and they went farther. On the pavement, I would choose skinny over wide any day for wintery driving. Wide tires tend to "skate" too much on the road, but off road aired down they perform better. I don't think there is too much of a performance difference in the tire sizes you mention. If you could fit, lets say, fit a 35x12.5 aired down it would likely perform just as well as the 30.5x9.6 chained up. I recall wheeling years ago at night with some friends on some icy logging roads. We had trouble getting up around a switchback. A friend with 33"s on a Samurai aired down to 3 psi had no problems. Another friend with a 1976 FJ40 with 35"s aired down to 8 psi spun out. He aired down to 5 psi and had no problem, it was like the difference between 2wd and 4wd. I on the other hand had a 1983 Short Box Toyota running 33x9.5 aired down around 12-15 psi, and I also had no problems getting around. Ultimately, the tallest, widest tires aired down rule, but you need the clearance and HP and torque to turn them along with serious vehicle mods. Running a slightly modified vehicle like your Xterra presents fewer options of tires, so you will have to find the sweet spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.