BC 4x4 Forums banner

Registration turning out to be a cash grab? How to get around paying the tax?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  samuelv47 
#1 · (Edited)
So yesterday I went into the insurance place here in town to register my atv as per the regulations our wonderful provincial government has set forth.
It defintly is not as "easy" as that bald headed prick Bill Bennet MLA said it would be, what a tool.
I went in understanding I would only need to pay $48 and have my plates and be on my way, enjoying my weekend. Turns out I need to get some bullshit document notarized and pay the taxes on my atv (about $330) because i got it in 2012. I gave them a piece of my mind and told em I ain't paying it and walked out the door.
So it seems the new deadline to register is now November 1st 2015...I am sure that's because a lot of other people have gone in and told them where to stick it after they found out that they are required to pay taxes on something they bought years ago and have been riding around for years already.
Definitely a cash grab, our province doesn't need that extra money...they make enough off of the tax on fuel alone to line their pockets with gold.

So what way's could I get around having to pay the tax?
I am thinking of selling my quad to my gf (on paper only) and then buying it back for $500...would that work? Worse case I am thinking ill just have to say it has a blown engine and is only worth $500.
At the moment the one broker in town here has my current bill of sale on record which states $3000. There are two other insurance companies in Cranbrook I can go through.
Any other ideas?

Its worth what I say it is and that's that. My truck needs new springs, cats, plugs...that's a much higher priority at the moment than paying bullshit tax on something owned for a while now.

See less See more
#4 ·
i heard somewhere that if you can prove that the sales tax was paid on the atv when it was new then you dont have to pay tax on it, i dont know if theres any truth to that or not.
also if you bought it before 2010 then you dont have to pay the tax.
otherwise you options are:
1. bend over and take it
2. tell them shove it and risk the fines and/or confiscation of your rig
3. try and outrun an overweight CO on a quad when he tries to stop you.

who knows, if nobody insures their junk then maybe it will end up getting deemed useless and ineffective and scrapped like the gun registry.

#5 ·
Couple other options I have are to either forge myself a new bill of sale by tracing everything over to a new one but changing the price of the quad to $30 or $300. Or scan it and photoshop it and alter it that way. I don't care what ICBC thinks is "Fair market value" they will have to accept my $30 value of the quad as "fair market value".

#9 ·
If you can afford to buy and operate it and maintain it then you can afford to insure it. It would suck to be the guy that got hit and got hurt, paralyzed or died to be hit by a somebody who thought that they were above the law and didnt have to sport proper insurance coverage and wanted compensation from somebody who had no insurance.

Edit: never mind that. This thread is about taxes not insurance.

#10 ·
I would pay the tax on the value to prove the value, imagine if it got stolen and ICBC has it valued at $30?

Of course that's assuming you have a theft insurance policy on it, but you're not willing to buy liability insurance so it's pretty unlikely you're buying theft insurance too.

#12 ·
the whole insureance thing is a scam. its a fear that is bread in people by the people that sell insurance. its big business and and tons of sheep to feed it. ofcourse you get the false sence of security that now that you have insurance, you can not go wrong.

#14 ·
no i'm saying that you should not be a retard and pay attention to what you do and not hurt otheres instead of feeling ok to run people over becuase you got insurance. its bred into you and its a waste to convince you otherwise. hi five to all the insurance companies. job well done. you tell me what the moral of the story is????????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.