Bumper for ubuilt Jeep CJ

Bumper for ubuilt Jeep CJ

Hello, I'm building a "Jeep" u-built and have been reading a thread in the projects forum:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...=1#post1286881

Perhaps the rules are different for factory to u-built? A bumper has been built on page 2 of this thread link, above. It neither extends to the width of the vehicle nor to the outer faces of the tires, yet the builder was commended for his build. It is a good job imho. I have built a set of bumpers for a YJ I owned years ago and drove it everywhere for years. Even with my RCMP buddies. Never a mention.

Are the rules different for front and rear bumpers? I've read they must have a lower edge no higher than 29.5", a 4" vertical face, and extend to the wheel track of the vehicle, which for bumper purposes is not the mid-line of the tires, but rather outer face/sidewalls of the tires. the CJ vehicle that I'm building only had bumpers that covered the width of the tub... I've also read that rear bumpers are not required, only front bumpers for trucks. Will my ubuilt Jeep be regarded as a truck or suv/car, or does it even matter? I want to do this properly.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Bumper for ubuilt Jeep CJ

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    Hello, I'm building a "Jeep" u-built and have been reading a thread in the projects forum:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...=1#post1286881

Perhaps the rules are different for factory to u-built? A bumper has been built on page 2 of this thread link, above. It neither extends to the width of the vehicle nor to the outer faces of the tires, yet the builder was commended for his build. It is a good job imho. I have built a set of bumpers for a YJ I owned years ago and drove it everywhere for years. Even with my RCMP buddies. Never a mention.

Are the rules different for front and rear bumpers? I've read they must have a lower edge no higher than 29.5", a 4" vertical face, and extend to the wheel track of the vehicle, which for bumper purposes is not the mid-line of the tires, but rather outer face/sidewalls of the tires. the CJ vehicle that I'm building only had bumpers that covered the width of the tub... I've also read that rear bumpers are not required, only front bumpers for trucks. Will my ubuilt Jeep be regarded as a truck or suv/car, or does it even matter? I want to do this properly.

Thank you.
    There is no such thing as a Jeep "ubilt."

The definition of a ubilt is "“a vehicle that does not resemble the vehicle from which its components were taken and that
    (a) was built, and may have been built at home for personal use, by an individual,
    (b) is used as a private passenger motor vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle, and
    (c) has a gross vehicle weight of not more than 5000 kg.

So what you have is a Jeep. It is inspected under car rules as it has car plates. It states bottom of bumper must be no higher than 20" although it is rarely enforced on a Jeep. Rules are the same front to rear. Rear bumpers are required on everything that came with a factory bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid.5 View Post
    There is no such thing as a Jeep "ubilt."

The definition of a ubilt is "“a vehicle that does not resemble the vehicle from which its components were taken and that
    (a) was built, and may have been built at home for personal use, by an individual,
    (b) is used as a private passenger motor vehicle or a commercial motor vehicle, and
    (c) has a gross vehicle weight of not more than 5000 kg.

So what you have is a Jeep. It is inspected under car rules as it has car plates. It states bottom of bumper must be no higher than 20" although it is rarely enforced on a Jeep. Rules are the same front to rear. Rear bumpers are required on everything that came with a factory bumper.
    OK. Thank you very much. What about the width of the bumpers. Shall I ensure they extend outer sidewall to outer sidewall for width or cover the width of the tub?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    OK. Thank you very much. What about the width of the bumpers. Shall I ensure they extend outer sidewall to outer sidewall for width or cover the width of the tub?
    Sidewall to sidewall then there is no grey area. Good luck with the build!!