BC 4x4 Forums banner

Van island??

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BackRoadBandit 
#1 ·
Anyone know of any cool spots on the island? I love checking out old historic sites but so far haven't really found a lot other than a few dilapidated cabins out in the woods and a couple sealed/caved in shafts. I love this section of the site but I don't think I've seen any posts on the island. I live near nanaimo but don't mind a bit of a drive.

#3 ·
It all depends on what your looking for. I grew up in Campbell river and know damn near every dirt trail there is around the Comox Valley - Sayward area.

There used to be a old ghost town out by Cumberland that had wooden roads. Can't remember the exact location but I'm sure if you use Google you could find it. And pre the inland hwy, there were some old caves and potholes on the Oyster River that you could go explore. They used to be a hell of a drive to get to but I think you can just pull over on the side of the inland hwy at Oyster River now and hike in upstream to get to them.

North of Campbell River, just past Roberts lake if you take the first dirt road on your right and drive up about 1-2km, you will find a trail that will lead you round the north end of Roberts lake and you will find the remains of some old cabins that were used by a series of groups homes based out of Vancouver. I think that the first one is still being used by a local church youth group but they are usually pretty friendly and if you continue along the shore towards the little island you will find the other cabins.

If your interested, I can point you in the direction of some old railways that havn't been used in years as well in the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.