90 sidekick stalling problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

90 sidekick stalling problem

Hey, first post on this site...gave in to bushbuggy finally. But only cause i'm having a prob w/ my sidekick right now. I keep stalling. When i slow down and am idling in drive, without giving any gas, it shakes almost violently and the rpm drops close to zero, if i step on the gas it shoots forward and the stall stops. If i am at a light or something and do not have an opportunity to step on the gas then it just dies. This is an intermitant problem. Didn't happen at all yesterday but happened twice today and 3 times a few days ago. Had it scanned and no codes came up. Fuel filter recently replaced and new O2 as well. Any ideas of what this could be would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

btw its efi

Welcome to the board. Everyone SHOULD be pretty nice to you

Standard or auto tranny?
    How does it run if you just leave it in the driveway idling for a while?
    When it stalls, does the engine just die...or does the vehicle lurch forward?

My friend has this problem, but it was on a carbed Jeep. In the mean time, you can always hammer the brake and rev it up a little when stopped at lights.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

check for vaccum leaks as well.... it did that exact thing with my sami and then i realized i had a major leak...

its an auto

Well, using your name and some simple common snese, I can conculde you are dating/married to someone that owns a Jeep. Get rid of him and I'd think the problem will go away

Seriously though, vacuum sounds like a pretty good option. A Haynes manual should have most of the lines listed...just give them a quick check.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had a vacuum leak repaired about 8 months ago and have always had a problem of it reving high when cold. Perhaps replacing all lines will fix it...will try that anyways.

The vacuum leak is a likely target since you don't have any codes. What happens if you throw it into neutral when coming to a stop. I'm just trying to eliminate the tranny from the problem. It could be that your torque converter isn't unlocking. This will cause the symptoms you described.

BTW, Welcome to the board...
    385/850 -- dynamically diesel

Originally posted by bushbuggysgirl
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had a vacuum leak repaired about 8 months ago and have always had a problem of it reving high when cold. Perhaps replacing all lines will fix it...will try that anyways.
    Nevermind that. Its a Suzuki thing.

she just called
    when it starts to stall if she sticks it in netural it is fine.
    it seems that only drive and reverse cause the problems.

any ideas???

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.

Torque converter may not be unlocking. It would be the equivalent to keeping the clutch in on a Standard tranny, and causing it to shake then stall.

Check your tranny fluid. Make sure it is topped up and clean. You may want to consider changing the fluid. Other than that, I'd take it to a tranny shop.

Sounds like the lockup torque converter is not unlocking.

Try unplugging it and re-roadtesting to see if the problem goes away.

just spoke to a guy @ a tranny place. He said that the torque convertors don't normally go in sidekicks and said it sounds like an engine problem. is that logical?

I'm a total tranny newbie, but I thought all autotrannies had torque converters....