Roof Rack Pics

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Rack Pics

Talking Roof Rack Pics

I had a couple of hours of free time recently so I decided to whip up a roof rack.
    OK I lied. It took a hell of a lot longer than I thought. A LOT longer. I ended up making 3 at the same time. 1 for me, course, 1 for my good friend Jeff and 1 for my brother who doesn't even have an XJ yet.

Thought you guys wouldn't mind some pics. (plus it gave me a chance to try my new digital camera).

Rob
    http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/xjtank...f+rack&.view=t
    '00 XJ - 5" RE lift, 33's, custom bumpers, onboard air, locked rear.... it goes on and on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

good job, they look very professional.

Thumbs up Good Job

Pony

1990 HDJ81 1HDT VX Limited RHD Loaded with Factory Beer Fridge

Excellent work! Did you also build the bumper and sliders? How about the rear bumper, has it been changed as well? You vehicle looks great and my sister in laws 98XJ would benefit from the armor if you are looking for work.

Originally posted by Tarzan
    Excellent work! Did you also build the bumper and sliders? How about the rear bumper, has it been changed as well? You vehicle looks great and my sister in laws 98XJ would benefit from the armor if you are looking for work.
    Built the sliders about 3 weeks ago. 2" tube 1/4 wall. Bolted to the unibody and the pinch seam.

Built the bumpers, front and rear last year about this time. The rear follows the pattern as the front with some small changes.
    3/16 wall tube both. Made them air tanks. Heavy mounting brackets tie way back into the unibody with multiple bolts anchoring front and rear.
    '00 XJ - 5" RE lift, 33's, custom bumpers, onboard air, locked rear.... it goes on and on.

looks good. what size tube/pipe is that?also what is the bottom made of?thanks Norm.

ooooooo!!!!

love those rockers ( nudge nudge wink wink )

That is definitely some *fine* work... almost makes me want to buy a Jeep!

If you're looking for some work, I'd be interested in talking to you about some rock sliders and a HQ skid plate for my Pathfinder.

Originally posted by nfc
    looks good. what size tube/pipe is that?also what is the bottom made of?thanks Norm.
    The pipe is 1" EMT. Light, strong and cheap. Also being galvanized, if the powder coating chips off it won't rust.
    The bottom has 1" cross bars. Sitting on it is metal screen that's made up of 3/16 rod that's welded up with about 4" spacing. Forgot where I scrounged it up.

Welding up other projects for people, if only I had the time. Sorry but my weekends are quite full. I only do this for fun for now.

Rob

Well geez, Rob... Why didn't you say so? There's lots of fun in my garage.
    I'll have plenty of time to rest when I'm dead.

88 K5 Blazer
    63 Continental Ragtop

I`ve been thinking about welding my own roof rack for my runner and i live in cloverdale, anyway icould i come take a look at your proud acomplishment? i was trying to figure out where you were from the pictures but i couldnt figure it out

1989 4runner SR5, 3inch lift 33`s.
    " If i have 4 wheels, i want them all to drive"

That is nice Freakin work. They look awesome. Cheers to you
    Trucks are built, not bought. When there bulit, beat em, break em and build em again BETTER!!

Originally posted by Drake
    I`ve been thinking about welding my own roof rack for my runner and i live in cloverdale, anyway icould i come take a look at your proud acomplishment? i was trying to figure out where you were from the pictures but i couldnt figure it out

No problem. Give me call. 576-4470. I'm up on Clayton Hill. If I'm not home, leave a message and I'll get back to you.

Rob

What did you use to connect the lights to the rack? im purchasing a rack this friday and was just wondering how you did it, is it just clips or something? sorry for the newb question
    1989 4runner SR5, 3inch lift 33`s.
    " If i have 4 wheels, i want them all to drive"

Originally posted by Drake
    What did you use to connect the lights to the rack? im purchasing a rack this friday and was just wondering how you did it, is it just clips or something? sorry for the newb question
    I had welded pieces of 3/16 flat bar to the tube with holes drilled in. Good and solid. No vibration in the lights at all.