BC 4x4 Forums banner

alaska 2014

16K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  samuelv47 
#1 ·
A buddy and I are planning a 4x4 trip to Alaska next year, and we are wondering if there are any others interested in joining us.

I know its over a year away, but my experience is that if you don't plan long in advance this kind off thing never happens.

Dates: August 1-15, 2014
Mostly just a big roadtrip but we'd like to take the road less traveled wherever possible and get off the pavement lots so you must have a reliable, self sufficient and capable 4x4.
Preferably no huge trailers, we plan on packing very light, i will hopefully have my RTT build by then and scott will most likely be tenting.
CB radio would be a plus.
No whiners allowed:cwm30:.

If there is any interest post up here or email me @ davies_sam@hotmail.ca
I will update with more details and a basic route that we probably wont end up following but its nice to have.

so far confirmed is:
me (sam) - 87 toyota hilux
scott - 98 jeep tj

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow that sounds like an awesome trip. Might not still have my ranger then though

#3 ·
I'd be interested in something like this. What's your previous experience? How far off the beaten path are you willing to go? Will you be driving to Alaska, or will you take the car ferry from Bellingham?

Reactions: westcoaster
#4 ·
we will definitely be driving although we've been thinking about taking the ferry from Prince Rupert to alaska and then driving back by way of the alcan hwy. the ferry is quite expensive though.
we only have 2 weeks and a lot of ground to cover so im really not sure how far off the beaten path we will be able to go. closer to the date we will try to nail down a rough plan.

previous experience?? i've never been to alaska if thats what your asking :)
ive spent my whole life camping, hunting and fishing all over BC, been to the Queen Charlotte Islands twice and across Canada once. i can read a map and drive?
whats your previous experience?

#5 ·
i could be down for a trip like this, but i wouldn't go to alaska with ya, i would just stop in whitehorse, and then meet up with ya's on your way back south.
if you was gonna ferry. i would ferry from van to prince rupert then drive up from there best scenery is up there anyhow. lots of rd's less traveled so to speak.
i usually do the trip to whitehorse 2 or 3 times a year by car as its faster (only 2 days), but i have camped and explored all along both highways going up there aswell.

#7 ·
How far into Alaska do you plan on going? Is your goal just to cross into the state or actually go to Anchorage?

#9 ·
I'll be doing a cross Canada trip next summer and have been contemplating making a stop in Alaska.
I plan to hit every province and territory :)
Mind you I'm not sure when ill be getting upnorth, but it'll definitely be sometime around mid August!
Ill keep an eye on this thread!

#10 ·
Several tips:
1.) See gas, get gas. Not every place has a gas station, and not all gas stations will have gas. Take a can with you
2.) Get a book called the Milepost, it's got gobs of detail on the roads up there.
3.) The midnight sun will mess with your head.
4.) The bugs will mess with your head too, take bugspray.
5.) Enjoy the trip.

I did it on a motorcycle several years back and had a hoot.

Mike

#14 ·
Re: buy verampil in Los Angeles

i just got back from yukon on friday highways was in good shape there where a few potholes and crap spots but probably the best shape i seen it in years. i'll be headed back up next week then again in august.. i'll keep an eye on this thread maybe can run up with you in august.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.