building a RTT

Thread: building a RTT

building a RTT

i have been interested in RTT's for years but cant bring myself to spend upwards of $1000 on a tent. so last summer i decided to build one with a budget of $400, i borrowed an old 1980 RTT from someone i know and started copying parts of his and getting materials together. i have the base, the tent frame, the hinges, and the roofracks all assembled and have now decided that its gonna be closer to $700 but im committed now.
    all i have left to do is the canvas, ladder and a mattress. the canvas is the part i have been having a really hard time sourcing out at a reasonable price. i want to use a thick treated canvas rather than a polyester tent fabric, does anyone know where i can find canvas? i need roughly 30' x 60".
    has anyone else made their own RTT and have any suggestions?
    i basically have until next hunting season to finish it.
    i'll post some pictures up when i get a chance.

sam
    87 hilux on 35's

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: building a RTT

perhaps you can try to ask someone at a military surplus? army got these big tents that you could cut from... probably end up at the dump most of the time...

If you find something let me know, I am thinking about a ''jacket'' to protect my truck from scratchs...
    Originally Posted by Tmax:
    now please enough with the drama for fuck sake

http://www.northwestshelters.com/location/

They make WALL tents...if they don't have the goods...no one will...just saying...maybe...maybe theyll stitch it too...who knows...
    .... Sudden revelations and reevaluations aren't often spurred by internet debate.

Use what you like, and shut up about it Originally from The11thNickel
    ---
    VE7LAA
    Currently a 90 Bronco, gasser 5.8L 5sp
    Build
    94 7.3 IDI Turbo Intercooled and either a T19 or E4OD
    Dana 70 Rear Dana 60 Front
    NP 205 and gear box from 203 for doubler
    Ramsey 200L PTO Driven for the front.
    Possibly a second steering D60 for the rear end.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

right on, i send northwest shelters an email asking for pricing on their canvas, something tells me they are gonna be somewhat expensive though. my dad was in the leather business back in the 70s so he has all the commercial sewing equipment in his shop still, so i plan on doing all the sewing myself, i dont really know how to yet but it cant be that hard.
    an old army tent would be awesome, i guess i better start checkin out the army surplus places, and it would even be the right color.
    badaboum, you want to make a jacket for your truck?? now that is something i would like to see.
    87 hilux on 35's

got an pics?

heres a few crappy pics, there isnt really much room to set anything up in my garage right now, but i hope to have it cleared out and have the tent set up in the spring to do the canvas. my dad has scrounged up a large piece of tan colored canvas that should be big enough. to buy enough brand new would have cost around $280 so with that out of the way it will allow me to spend a bit more cash on a ladder and a mattress. it also needs a few aluminium cross braces on the top
    but i will try to incorporate them in when i mount the ladder.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by samuelv47; November 21st, 2012 at 04:16 pm.
    87 hilux on 35's

i cant figure out how to make those pics any bigger. maybe if the weather stays nice for a few days i will pull it out of the garage and take some proper pics with my wifes camera.
    87 hilux on 35's

Quote Originally Posted by samuelv47 View Post
    badaboum, you want to make a jacket for your truck?? now that is something i would like to see.
    yea well now I got enought scratchs that I am not sure I wonder anymore...

Bet ya there would be some money to be made, specially with a model for FJ cruiser, many of the owners still care for their paint...
    If dont have your sewing equipment...
    Originally Posted by Tmax:
    now please enough with the drama for fuck sake