Thickness of metal for bumper

Thickness of metal for bumper

Hey guys just wondering about what you think is a good thickness for metal for a bumper. I have a 97 F350, I am looking at using a 3/16" plate that I have lying around for the bumper. The top edge I am going to reinforce with 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron, as well as use it to reinforce where the mounts meet the bumper. Also what size of shackle should I use on the tow point mounts, I was thinking about usiing a 1" shackle with a breaking strength of 18,600 lbs. Thanks. Monty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontbumper..jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	30935  

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Thickness of metal for bumper

I like to overbuild things. My rear bumper is 2x6 3/8 wall tubing. I don't want it to bend.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
    I like to overbuild things. My rear bumper is 2x6 3/8 wall tubing. I don't want it to bend.
    sure but thats retarded. i know a guy with an orange blazer that build a retarded over build bumper and got rear ended and bend his frame. if he was remotely as smart as he thinks he is, he would have build it accordingly.
    Last edited by Tmax; May 1st, 2012 at 09:03 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by steve604 View Post
    you can never have too many jeeps...

Stock Merc on 24's

5. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

I used 1/4" , should have been 3/16" with a little more reinforcement. Strictly for weight savings. My bumper is easy 150lbs. When building tow points make them bolt directly to the frame and lace them through the bumper welded on both sides. Here is a link to my build thread, check post 40 for pictures of what I mean

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...d-ranger/page3

I used 1/2" for the winch mount plate between the frame rails and 3/4" for the tow points. I think the 3/4" is about 13" long.

I would keep it simple. Don't over build it. Bumpers are designed to take and absorb energy, protecting the frame from damage. To rigid and you get the results Tmax posted above. The impact energy will find the weakest point, if not your bumper than what? you could end up with a nice diamond frame.

I'd go with a 10ga. or 3/16 max. Remember to consider your load points. If your wanting to put tow hooks of clevis mounts, mount them directly inline with the frame rails. Either by welding them or better yet cut holes in the front face and run the bumper mounts through the front, weld around. You want it to have a bit of give.
    "Out here, due process is a bullet!"
    Colonol Mike Kirby

where I have the load points located on the drawing is where the frame is. I had planned on running a piece of steel through and then welding it on to the bumper. I was considering using 3 or 4 pieces of 3/16" welded together and bolted to the frame as i have a ton of it and no 3/4......would that work or is that just a recipe for disaster?

Monty

I guess that could work, stacking the 3/16 to get your thickness, but I would never do it personally. If you dont weld every seam it will weep rust on you and it has the potential to ruin the look of your bumper if you don't true up all the edges to make it look like one piece. I would head to a local welding shop and see if the have any 3/4 by 4" scrap you can barter for. Or buy. Metal prices swing but it's roughly $1/ lbs

Quick update on my bumpers, the front isn't finished and the back is 1/4 wall tube for lack of a better world. I have to drill out the holes for the back up lights. The front is going to get a skid plate and a 45 degree 2" piece on the top. Its coming nicely, would be farther but my welder buddy had to leave early. I tack it and set everything up he comes and welds it really solid. The front welds don't look perfect but the welder is an old forney ac built in 1960, with 6011 rod. But damn does it dig and hold good.
    Monty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0045..jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	31262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0048..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	31263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0047..jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	31264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0044..jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	31265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0046..jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	31266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0049..jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	31267

Quote Originally Posted by Tmax View Post
    sure but thats retarded. i know a guy with an orange blazer that build a retarded over build bumper and got rear ended and bend his frame. if he was remotely as smart as he thinks he is, he would have build it accordingly.

LOL Yup that was me. It also flatened the original bumper, but kept the truck that hit us from the gas tank. The new bumper will be able to go on the next Blazer if it was to hapen again. We were hit so hard in that accident that nothing would have saved the frame. It was bent in 4 different places on both frame rails all the way up to the middle of the door. We were going about 10 kmh, they estimated the guy that hit us was doing about 120 kmh.

Quote Originally Posted by MontyMBad View Post
    Hey guys just wondering about what you think is a good thickness for metal for a bumper. I have a 97 F350, I am looking at using a 3/16" plate that I have lying around for the bumper. The top edge I am going to reinforce with 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron, as well as use it to reinforce where the mounts meet the bumper. Also what size of shackle should I use on the tow point mounts, I was thinking about usiing a 1" shackle with a breaking strength of 18,600 lbs. Thanks. Monty
    We use 3/16" to 1/4" ... Keep in mind the weight additions going heavy. Proper engineering or thought help reduce weight while adding strength in key locations.

Hope this helps. Going too thin reduces longetivity as well.

http://www.foxbumpers.com
    http://www.facebook.com/FoxBumpers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1491017308720_1492106855159.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	58641