97 4runner power lock bypass/mod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 4runner power lock bypass/mod?

Hey guys, can anyone offer some insight into a slight irritation of mine? I would like to modify the locks on my 1997 4runner so they work like the ones on my 1990. IE: they DON'T lock when the vehicle starts, but they DO all pop when the driver's side door is locked/unlocked. There is no reason for this other than personal preference: I just think that the older-style power locks were more user-friendly and logical in their functioning.
    Any thoughts? Thanks to all who reply.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: 97 4runner power lock bypass/mod?

are you wanting to make it so if you unlock the driver's door with a key it will unlock all of the doors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

Yes; locking/unlocking the driver's side door locks/unlocks all the other doors as well.

ultimate web wheeler d0ubledown's Avatar

are you talking through the factory keyless entry? or the old way of sticking the key in the door? if you toggle once, drivers door only. toggle twice, all doors. the auto door lock is also programmable through the keyless entry as well...

Sorry, I guess I should have made that clearer... Yes, I am talking about using the key in the door (I hate the key fob, and hardly ever use it). You say the auto lock is programmable through the keyless entry, but is that limited to just the remote, or would the change work on the keyed entry as well? IE: if I reprogrammed the auto lock to pop all the locks at once (assuming that option exists), would I then be able to unlock all the doors using just the key in the driver's door?

Quote Originally Posted by forge View Post
    Hey guys, can anyone offer some insight into a slight irritation of mine? I would like to modify the locks on my 1997 4runner so they work like the ones on my 1990. IE: they DON'T lock when the vehicle starts, but they DO all pop when the driver's side door is locked/unlocked. There is no reason for this other than personal preference: I just think that the older-style power locks were more user-friendly and logical in their functioning.
    Any thoughts? Thanks to all who reply.
    I know what your saying, try reading up on the wiring schematics. There has to be something that controls the auto locking.
    try http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/index.html

That is a great link, thanks! I know that I could probably figure out the wiring if I just sat down and powered through it, but I was hoping to find someone on the forums who has already solved this problem; thus saving me a head-ache
    I don't know why Toyota changed the power lock design....it seemed perfect, to me anyway, in the 2nd gen trucks.

if you have keyless entry right now and it's set up so one push of the unlock button does the drivers door and the second time is all doors you can reprogram this so all unlock at the same time with one push of the button. i did this on my '02 4runner.

i'm not sure if all doors unlock with the driver's door using the key though.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...rogramming.pdf

ultimate web wheeler d0ubledown's Avatar

dont get it...is turning the key twice instead of once too much work or...

Old habits die hard ....I guess I just got used to the way the locks worked on my older runner. I agree that it sounds kind of silly to be worrying over such a trivial thing, but by the same token does it not make more sense just to unlock everything when the driver's door is unlocked?
    That aside, my real complaint is the automatic locking when the ignition is turned on. I can live with the other problem, but I really want to kill the ignition-auto-locking feature. I am going to try to reprogram the auto locks this weekend and see if that helps; I 'll report back with the results. Thanks for the continued help and suggestions guys!

Reprogramed the remotes, but it has no effect on the locks when using the key: not really that surprizing, but it was worth a shot. I am still trying to solve it, however, so continued suggestions are always welcome.

OK, I think I got the driver's side rigged so that one push of the button/twist of the key opens ALL the locks: now I just need to work on that annoying ignition-auto-lock thing Thanks for the continued help guys!

the ignition auto lock is programmed through the remote fob programming. go to page 10 in the customtacos link above

That particular programming sequence does not work on my truck: at all! I think mine has a different type of remote system than the RS3200 outlined in that link. To bad, I wish it were that simple Thanks for the reminder though, I tried it several more times after reading your post, just to be sure.