BC 4x4 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 inch lift on my smart car AND bigger tires

75K views 150 replies 33 participants last post by  VSAdmin 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

Been awhile since i have posted here!

So, as some of you recall, I like Suzuki's and smarts. (And Volvo and Subaru... but I digress...)

I had a 2 inch spacer lift kit installed in my 2008 smart fortwo pure coupe this week. I sourced the lift from the USA, it's manufactired by Daystar.

Adding to this were tires about 8% larger in diameter. I am now running 185/65/15 on all four corners (with four rear OEM steel wheels) which I can now rotate! This compares to stock size of 155/60/15 on the front and 175/55/15 on the rear.

The car handles EXCELLENT. I had Steve at CARS in Abbotsford to the install (Clearbrook Auto Repair Service) and took the car to RPM across from Crappy Tire to get the alignment done. Just a tiny trim required on the front spolier, and there is no rub.

You can see more of the details and what not here:

http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?showtopic=24622

I guess you want a picture too right?

go2car vs car2go:

I'll post a few more direct links to photos if there's any interest. I am going to get my Grand Vitara and the smart next to each other today,

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a very driveable lift.

Okay, so you ask, 'why?'.

Because I commute to Prince George once or twice per month, and I am using the smart this winter, and do not want a bit of snow to stop me.

Future mods:

custom light bar on the front
rear mounted spare tire carrier
I am so chocked I missed out on a 'Clever End' though....

#4 ·
Another Daystar photo from SEMA:

#6 ·
Baby you can drive my car!

(That WAS my car in 2005 by the way.)

#10 ·
Cut the guy a little slack, he wanted a little better deep snow performance and rightfully so as pg can get ugly in the winter. So big deal it's not a jeep or yota. So what if he hasn't yet swapped a sbc into it. It is different and that is what pushes our hobby, people doing different things and making what they want!

#11 ·
i dont know about you but theres no way you could catch me battling semis up to prince george even in the summer, forget about doing it in the winter.. wont your car disentegrate in the wake of a semi spraying gravel and slush at you?
just because you can doesnt mean its a good idea.. i cant see a vehicle like that being any good in the snow, more likely to be mistaken as a snow ball.

#13 ·
There's not too much traffic between here and PG at the best of times... I'm not worried about that at all.

#15 ·
smart Canada (Mercedes-Benz) took a set of cars to Inuvik... stock. There's some good press on the internet, as these were all driven by journalists.

The smart fortwo conquers the Arctic

Toronto, ON – After covering more than 7700 kilometres on some of the most scenic, remote and challenging roads in Canada, the smart Winter Expedition concluded over the weekend. The expedition began on January 26th, in Kelowna, British Columbia, and throughout the course of two weeks, 46 participants over three waves made their way up and down the west coast, through the Yukon and all the way to Inuvik, N.T (68° 22' North Latitude) before ultimately completing their journey on February 6 at the smart Centre in North Vancouver.

The rear-engine, rear drive smart fortwo has a balanced chassis and excellent weight distribution that allows it to perform very well in snow and icy conditions. The caravan of smart fortwos remained poised and easily navigated the ice covered roads, changing elevations, blowing snowdrifts, poor visibility and strong crosswinds they encountered throughout the 12-day program.

The smart fortwo’s myriad of standard active and passive safety systems including Electronic Stability Program (esp®), traction control, cornering brake control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake distribution and brake assist always kept drivers safely in control despite the extreme conditions. In addition, steering wheel shift paddles, which are standard on the passion model, allowed for easy downshifting to effortlessly climb steep mountain inclines or reduce speed in advance of sharp, slippery corners.

From the changing elevations on the Coquihalla and Alaska Highways to the notoriously challenging Dempster Highway and everything in between, the smart fortwo performed very well throughout the entire expedition and proved that the difficult conditions could be surmounted by the vehicle’s intelligent design.

The comfortable, spacious interior featured a radio 10 sound system with a 6-disc CD changer and Aux jack to keep passengers entertained, while the automatic temperature control and heated seats kept occupants warm despite the harsh temperatures outside. In addition, the 340 litre cargo compartment provided ample capacity for both the driver and passenger to store their voluminous suitcases and bags for the long, cold journey.

“The smart winter Expedition was planned to demonstrate what our 16,000 + loyal customers already know; the smart fortwo is a safe, comfortable and extremely versatile vehicle regardless of the prevailing climatic conditions, varying terrains or distances traveled,” said Marcus Breitschwerdt, President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Canada. "The compact smart fortwo offers class leading fuel efficiency, low emissions and the highest levels of safety and technology in its category, which serves both the driver and passenger well whether they are navigating congested urban streets, suburban areas or even traveling on remote stretches of highway north of the Arctic Circle in the middle of winter."

#17 ·
You must spend a lot of money on coffee, and drink little of it. My car (stock) is taller than many on the road. Or am I going into the pothole nose first?

#19 ·
Hmm... I've owned 5 smarts, still own two... not my experience.

Let's get some factual info onto the table:

According to a German automotive survey the smart car had THE LOWEST quantity of breakdowns per thousand vehicles when compared against 77 other competing models.

#21 ·
Yeah.... I see where this going. I'll make sure I carry my torque wrench with me.

#24 · (Edited)
Well, I went most of the way up Sumas Mtn today, ran out of food for the hamster though... so had to turn around and roll all the way back.

Actually, the car was great up there. If this lift were on my diesel, that would be sweet. (lots more torque, in a manner of speaking percentage wise) I might go up to the first tower in the diesel, it has the push... (RWD as of course you all know)

I would like to go to the lower Bridal Falls launch, but I am off to PG tomorrow... so that will have to wait.

Maybe I could get some of the 'doughters' to come with to the upper launch, have a few guys (or gals if you are one) lift the car over the blockade (twice of course) and then come back down Chipmunk.

:beer

#25 ·
and this is in general 4X4 talk because...? its lifted and has bigger tires? :rolleyes: if thats the case, maybe i'll put up a build of my donk . heres a pic of it. it also has a lift AND bigger tires.

thats me in the red. no really...it is.

sorry but chit chat is that way -->

this forum is for 4X4 talk. you know..where a vehicle has power to all 4 wheels and has a transfer case.

:)

#27 ·
im sorry are you trying to impress us that your smart car can go up sumas mtn to the towers? I would sure hope it could, with the amount of slammed cars ive seen up there before it should be retardly easy for a smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.