BC 4x4 Forums banner

What would you do with $15,000

12K views 78 replies 28 participants last post by  Pyroboy 
#1 ·
I have about that much to spend on something to use in the bush. What would you buy/ build? Im not looking for anything to crazy and i like being comfy. Heres what im thinking:
2006 Ford Explorer
Truxxx 2.5 inch leveling kit
Rancho QuickLift
Some mud terrains
Lightforce lights
And some other little things.
Going for this

Or
2007 Wrangler X Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Rims and Tires
Light force lights
You know what i mean
or if i save some more
2007 Fj Cruiser
Im sure alot of you can think of something better so lemme here it. Ive got my flame suit on.

See less See more
#41 ·
I would get a nice clean 96 up 4Runner or Tacoma with AC and a manual tranny, V6. Some Total Chaos UCA's and coilovers, only lift it 2-3 inches, 33's, try to find a truck with a factory E-locker or maybe put in a Detroit or something, build bumpers, re-gear if necessary. Call it done man

#42 ·
2 chicks at the same time. Fucken eh man.

#45 ·
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?167623-Hi
whats wrong with your burb? for 15k you could build one sick burb! you could build a sick burb for half that actually. ive secretly wanted to build one for a long time, but the older style with the barn doors on the rear. now that is an expedition vehicle, build it big and high with 40's and 1 ton axles and do it heavy chevy style! that is a real truck, an explorer or expedition is not! too many fancy gadgets and shit to break down in the bush, they are oversized cars meant to be driven to the mall and look like puff daddy driving around all cool like.

#49 ·
Well first off, i really would like a diesel. Second off its an old police truck and i really would like something newer with some more creature comforts ( All it has is AC a radio and a rubber floor with velvety seats) and i know that means more to brake, but it also means if im comfy exploring, im more happy. Third off im really not a Gm enthusiast at all lol. I like my Fords and since i can, would really like to get something from them. Forth of all well, i just dont enjoy driving my Suburban sadly. I dont feel connected to it at all. Like when i drive my Crown Vic, it feels like ive known it forever. Like an old friend. Dunno if anyone else has a similar feeling with vehicles, but i do. I think there are plenty of other people who would love a 60,000 Mile on the ODO Burb with no rust on the body, 94 Burb. Its just not really what i wanted. When i test drove it, i drove it on a residential road at low speeds and didnt get to take it on the highway or offroad or anything. If i would have, i probably wouldn't have bought it to be honest. :(

#46 ·
#50 ·
Wow! Thats an awesome build! But to me i just dont need anything that crazy. Mostly ill be on the highways and logging roads really. Just a regular truck, with a not to crazy lift, some chunky tires, Lightforce lights, and a winch, will do it for me.

#51 · (Edited)
in terms of trucks.. the burb is way more of a truck than an explorer or anything built after around 94-95. they stopped making real trucks around that time, and turned them into giant cars!
if you want diesel, get the landcruiser.. or if you want a ford, get an f250 or f350, something that comes with diesel.. as you will hear alot around here, the older trucks are better. the old 7.3 diesel is a great engine, the newer 6.0 not so much, due to electronics! some dumb part will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. unless you want to do your own diesel swap, just look into trucks that are already diesel. the problem with the newer diesel trucks is they are all electronic, and they all have alot of problems in that department. you are going to have to settle for something older, which will be alot more reliable and more economical in the long run. less money spent on sensors and other shit that breaks. i love my 85 diesel, ultra reliable, 1 wire needed to run it, otherwise its completely mechanical, no computers or anything needed. i am over half way to a million, and im going to make it there one day!
diesel and explorer never excisted.. i do know that for a short time rangers were available with a mitsubishi diesel engine, but that was in the late 80's early 90's i think, not exactly sure. if you are thinking diesel which is a great idea by the way, you are kind of limited to cruisers(good idea!!) a dodge pickup, chevy pickup, or ford pickup.. maybe find yourself the rare and elusive 80's diesel blazer? i dont think ford ever made a diesel bronco, but i know there are a couple swaps out there..
bottom line is: all the cool diesel 4x4's are old rugged steel!
hey, i definately know someone qualified and very interested in building diesel trucks should you happen to end up buying the parts to build yourself a diesel 4x4 truck. :clown built not bought!

#56 ·
once you go diesel, you will never go back.. and you will be occasionaly caught taking a whiff of the wonderful smelling fumes in the morning.. i love the smell of diesel in the morning.

#57 ·
Thats why i was thinking of a Ford Excursion NOT an Expedition. I meant and Excursion as an expedition vehicle lol. Id get it with the diesel and they can be had for around 9-10 grand.

#60 ·
excursion, i get it now. not that slightly bigger expedition.
id keep the burb, they are basically the same size both those vehicles.. better yet go with the landcruiser, they are really a bit shorter than a burb or excursion.
black works too, cause of the big black soot clouds you can utilize to rid the tailgaters! and flies!

#62 ·
For 15 grand I would buy a Unimog 406, probably a case mb4-94 model. Then I could go everywhere that other people cant go. Benefit from unbelievable pulling power. Deisel engine, some serious ground clearance with portal axles and massive tires from the factory.

What more could one ask for?

#65 ·
Absolutely. Its just getting to those places where its a pain being stuck going so slow. Personally, I don't care as I usually drive my Ranger at 90 - 100 km/h to save on fuel, but not everyone can stand it. LR

#70 ·
You could get a 406 and that sure beats the hell outta those piece of crap 404's.

Personally, I'm going to be selling my 2 Toyota pickups to make room for a Unimog purchase.
Currently looking at a U1000 or a U1600.

Sent a email off yesterday for a shipping quote to have it shipped over from England.
Hoping after I finish my current 30 day trip to the oil rig I am currently working on I
can make a purchase when I get home.

#71 ·
Mogs are great, if you like Mogs. Other than that they are loud, slow and uncomfortable.

If I had 15K, I'd use a few thou to teach Sonny how many words it takes to spell "land fucking cruiser". :laugh

#72 ·
I'd agree with ckblum but I'll admit to being biased. I would be looking at a 3rd gen 4 Runner or FJ as a base. Strong chassis, good reliability and lots of money left for mods. 4-door 96-200? tacos are nice too but they only came as autos. Newer ones are much bigger which may be good or bad, but if you're considering an Excursion then I guess it's not a problem.

#73 ·
I think ive found my truck.. But its a gaser and gets like 14 mpg average...
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/2519447927.html
What do you guys think?
Ill throw an Hannibal tent in the bed and be off into the bush. Also remove the gay chrome and stickers. How much would a diesel swap run me?

#75 ·
It looks decent, a diesel swap is super expensive, the 5.4's are overworked in the superduties so fuel milage definately suffers hard, but they are a lot lighter and without the weight and torque the suspension and drive train stand up better. Also not to knock on the 'yota guys, and maybe it's different being from up north but I have not seen a decent shape 4 runner or Tacoma go for less than 15g.

#76 ·
Based upon your posts, my advice for you is to buy a diesel powered Excursion, then put any remaining money into shoring up it's weak points. Price isn't the only thing to consider. You should never regret getting a gasser when a diesel is what you really want. And a later conversion can easily run upwards of 6K plus a butt-load of time for research and fabrication, not to mention the down time while the conversion is going on. Get what you really want... even if that means busting open the kiddy's piggy bank.

#77 ·
Do not buy a truck from global auto , they spray a shiny undercoat on everything to hide all the leaks and dont even want you to go for test drives , i went there and seen 2 trucks they just got in from auction before they had a chance to undercoat it and they were leaking from everywhere and every wear part was shot . If you are looking at diesel swaps thats gonna cost an extra few grand ... just ad the extra few grand on now and buy a diesel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.