What would you do with $15,000 - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: What would you do with $15,000

Quote Originally Posted by toygasm View Post
    i looked at both stock tjs and rubicons.when buyin used ,it was worth the money (in my opinion) to go for the rubicon.im not going to use it as a bush truck though.nice dd,and has been great to take fishing(this summers new hobby).plans are for another old yota to beat in the bush...i just need to get a job.lol!
    i think used its a little different. They aren't marked up something crazy like $12,000. But out of curiosity, why do you think it was worth the money if it isn't being used a bush truck?
    I'm not trying to get on peoples case, i'm just trying to understand why people buy things like a Rubicon or a TRD Tacoma if the camping and fishing spots they frequent are easily accessed by a standard TJ or Tacoma ....
    97 TJ ... pretty much stock ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

I think this whole thread can be summed up in just one simple statement.

"Rigs are built not bought"

Having said that you still need to buy a rig to build it..lol

continue.....

you guys are splitting hairs here. i believe we can all agree that the guy's original idea of a late model explorer is a bad idea.

if you are looking for comfort and solid build then look at some '97+ 4runners. landcruisers are nice too but i would never dish out that kind of money for something with 300k. they do go for twice that mileage if they've been maintained. how much maintenance has been done on that one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

Yes, TJs are not everyone's cup of tea with the short wheelbase. Makes me wonder how the samurai/tracker guys deal with it ... those things seem way smaller than a TJ even lol.
    For my "expedition" purposes, which never last more than 3 days the TJ is fine ... but even then, it has no rear seat and if it did, i would literally have NO cargo room. Also, I am not a family man. Will definitely be getting rid of it if I ever have a wife and kids ...

They are not expedition vehicles, simple as that. I don't understand the point of trying to make them into one, like the one above with the roof tent and all that. I love my jeep. With the small amount of money i've put into it and that places it has taken me is excellent bang for the buck in my opinion. But its not a friggin' expedition vehicle, lol.
    97 TJ ... pretty much stock ...

so the long and short of it is: get a toyota! even the old 4runners are very comfy i find for long trips. im 6'1, have driven my 89 sr5 runner on highway trips over 1000km in one shot and didnt feel sore or tired after. it has solid axles. anyone who says solid axles suck on the highways probably has worn out bushings, bad steering alignment, shitty tires and shocks so they are constantly fighting a steering pull or vibration the whole way making them tired after its over! 4x4's are built not bought.. i picked my runner up for $300, with a blown v6.. got to work cutting all the crap out of it and swapped over my diesel running gear from my rusted out 85 truck. the truck has never let me down and goes everywhere you want it to and more. the best part of owning a toy is the e-lockers! best upgrade ever.
    simple easy to work on, tough, rugged trucks. no flashy 'pimpin' status or whatever that is bling bling cruising robson street trying to get attention, just good old rattle can paint with dents and scratches, the way a 4x4 should be!
    98 Dodge Ram 4x4, 12v Cummins, BD Exhaust. stock for now upgrades soon!
    89 Toyota 4runner, 4" SAS, 2L-T Intercooled Diesel, Bumpers and Sliders, e-lockers, 35" MTR'S!
    85 Toyota longbox trailer
    88 Toyota ma70 supra 1jz twin turbo swap

I can now agree that the explorer is a bad idea. The land cruiser is defiantly on my list, just im not sure if its that one.. What about the Excursion? I should have mentioned im wanting an capable Expedition vehicle, not a hardcore exoskeletoned taco. I want something that will take me places, but in comfort. I can nab a nice Excursion for around 9 grand and have at her with some mods. The other thing is a Defender or a 3 Series Land Rover. Not a $40,000 retarededly priced one in showroom condition, but a cheap older one with a some dings and less than perfect paint.
    One last thing: Can you get a 70 series Land Cruiser in Canada? Ive looked at Toyota.au and honestly those things look sweet.

I would get a nice clean 96 up 4Runner or Tacoma with AC and a manual tranny, V6. Some Total Chaos UCA's and coilovers, only lift it 2-3 inches, 33's, try to find a truck with a factory E-locker or maybe put in a Detroit or something, build bumpers, re-gear if necessary. Call it done man
    Proverbs 5:19

2 chicks at the same time. Fucken eh man.
    '08 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited - Trimmed fenders
    '88 Hino FB Turbo 6x6 - Rockwell 2.5T Axles, Rockwell 2.5T Transfer Case, 47" Michelin XMLs - Thankful for a retired father who works for free.
    Talk is CHEAP. Take it to the trail and PROVE your point.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    2 chicks at the same time. Fucken eh man.

Best answer EVER.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?167623-Hi
    whats wrong with your burb? for 15k you could build one sick burb! you could build a sick burb for half that actually. ive secretly wanted to build one for a long time, but the older style with the barn doors on the rear. now that is an expedition vehicle, build it big and high with 40's and 1 ton axles and do it heavy chevy style! that is a real truck, an explorer or expedition is not! too many fancy gadgets and shit to break down in the bush, they are oversized cars meant to be driven to the mall and look like puff daddy driving around all cool like.
    89 Toyota 4runner, 4" SAS, 2L-T Intercooled Diesel, Bumpers and Sliders, e-lockers, 35" MTR'S!

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...-CRUISER-BUILD

read up, and get some ideas for your burban!!! that is what i would do with 15k in your situation if i had a burb to start with!

Quote Originally Posted by Yourself View Post
    I can now agree that the explorer is a bad idea. The land cruiser is defiantly on my list, just im not sure if its that one.. What about the Excursion? I should have mentioned im wanting an capable Expedition vehicle, not a hardcore exoskeletoned taco. I want something that will take me places, but in comfort. I can nab a nice Excursion for around 9 grand and have at her with some mods. The other thing is a Defender or a 3 Series Land Rover. Not a $40,000 retarededly priced one in showroom condition, but a cheap older one with a some dings and less than perfect paint.
    One last thing: Can you get a 70 series Land Cruiser in Canada? Ive looked at Toyota.au and honestly those things look sweet.
    Yes you can get 70 series in Canada. The bj70 (2 door, short wheel base, naturally aspirated diesel) was available in Canada for only 4 or 5 years, I believe the last year was '84/'85ish. There is also quite a few of the JDM 70 series around now as well, right hand drive bj74 models (and variations thereof) with a turbo charged 4 cylinder diesel that produce a lot more power than their Canadian counterparts. They also usually come with factory lockers.
    If you require more room, and more creature comforts, get an 80 series 'cruiser. The gas models do not get great mileage, but the diesel powered Japanese ones (HDJ81) can get pretty good mileage of up to low 20's mpg, which is decent for a 6000 pound full time four wheel drive machine. My recent 5000km round trip of California cost me around $700 in fuel in my HDJ81. That included wheeling the Rubicon and blasting down the I5 at 75 mph with the AC going full blast the whole time as well, and cold drinks readily available in the factory center console fridge (I love my fridge)
    If you are interested in an 80 series, but do not want right hand drive (which is not a big deal, I've been driving on that side for 11 years now), I would recommend you check out Iron Yuppy's fzj80 I linked in this thread originally. All the things done, and you would still have lots of cash left over to play with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020636..jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	27258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020604..jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	27259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1490copy..jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	27260  

Last edited by Enigma; July 28th, 2011 at 05:29 pm.
    Jeff S.
    www.CoastalCruisers.ca
    '90 hdj81, '82 fj45 with a big bbq tank (sold), '71 fj55 (sold), '74 fj40 'hybrid' (sold)

If I was you, had that Explorer and 15,000$ I was determined to spend on it; I would ask at explorerforum.com, where thousands and thousands of explorer nuts hang out.
    ld50 = James

"The future ain`t what it used to be"

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?167623-Hi
    whats wrong with your burb? for 15k you could build one sick burb! you could build a sick burb for half that actually. ive secretly wanted to build one for a long time, but the older style with the barn doors on the rear. now that is an expedition vehicle, build it big and high with 40's and 1 ton axles and do it heavy chevy style! that is a real truck, an explorer or expedition is not! too many fancy gadgets and shit to break down in the bush, they are oversized cars meant to be driven to the mall and look like puff daddy driving around all cool like.
    Well first off, i really would like a diesel. Second off its an old police truck and i really would like something newer with some more creature comforts ( All it has is AC a radio and a rubber floor with velvety seats) and i know that means more to brake, but it also means if im comfy exploring, im more happy. Third off im really not a Gm enthusiast at all lol. I like my Fords and since i can, would really like to get something from them. Forth of all well, i just dont enjoy driving my Suburban sadly. I dont feel connected to it at all. Like when i drive my Crown Vic, it feels like ive known it forever. Like an old friend. Dunno if anyone else has a similar feeling with vehicles, but i do. I think there are plenty of other people who would love a 60,000 Mile on the ODO Burb with no rust on the body, 94 Burb. Its just not really what i wanted. When i test drove it, i drove it on a residential road at low speeds and didnt get to take it on the highway or offroad or anything. If i would have, i probably wouldn't have bought it to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...-CRUISER-BUILD

read up, and get some ideas for your burban!!! that is what i would do with 15k in your situation if i had a burb to start with!
    Wow! Thats an awesome build! But to me i just dont need anything that crazy. Mostly ill be on the highways and logging roads really. Just a regular truck, with a not to crazy lift, some chunky tires, Lightforce lights, and a winch, will do it for me.