check engine light diagnosis on a 85 4runner

check engine light diagnosis on a 85 4runner

hey i was wondering how to get the code or codes for a check engine light on a 85 4runner. i have been reading it i see a lot about jumping two terminals in the diagnostic box but my 4runner it too old and does not have that little black box. it does have the 3 yellow plugs. can i do something with those without buying a scanning device? thanks.
    1982 Toyota 4x4 short box
    1983 2wd pickup
    1990 toyota 2wd extended cab

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: check engine light diagnosis on a 85 4runner

All years have that box , should be a little one in front of your fuse box under the hood ( pass side ) and under the little cap it show what terminal is what and you jump two of them out of the 4-6 it has ? Can't remembrr which ones and how many are in there but its really simple
    Last edited by mr_trucks; June 9th, 2011 at 02:53 pm.
    A.K.A.-The Samsquanch-1985 Toyota 4x4- Extra Cab- 22RTE- dual Tranny's- Locked F/R- 39.5 Tsl- beadlocked- winches f/r ..... Money pit
    1976 Toyota Hilux- 20r... Supra stuff making its way soon
    1987 Samurai - Toyota stuff - gf's rig slowly in progress

on the driver side inner fender behind the airbox there should be 2 plugs that go into a rubber grommet, one will have 3 wires the other has 2. Pull the one with 2 out, stick a paper clip or small piece of wire between the 2 connections. Now go inside turn the key to acc and count the number of times it flashes. It will blink fast then pause and so on for different codes and then repeat itself.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...osticcodes.gif

Quote Originally Posted by bdew View Post
    on the driver side inner fender behind the airbox there should be 2 plugs that go into a rubber grommet, one will have 3 wires the other has 2. Pull the one with 2 out, stick a paper clip or small piece of wire between the 2 connections. Now go inside turn the key to acc and count the number of times it flashes. It will blink fast then pause and so on for different codes and then repeat itself.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...osticcodes.gif
    great response thank you
    1983 2wd pickup

Quote Originally Posted by mr_trucks View Post
    All years have that box , should be a little one in front of your fuse box under the hood ( pass side ) and under the little cap it show what terminal is what and you jump two of them out of the 4-6 it has ? Can't remembrr which ones and how many are in there but its really simple

well mine does not have it and i have seen the box you speak of before its just not on this one. but the yellow plugs sure are. thanks for the reply.
    1983 2wd pickup