Legal to go straight through a right turning lane?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legal to go straight through a right turning lane?

Folks,

I wonder if it is legal to go straight if you are in a right turning lane like in tis picture:

City buses do it all the time as their stop is on the right side past the intersection. However I have seen several vehicles almost getting smoked as they assume the bus will turn right and not straight.

Is what the buses do legal?

cheers

Tx

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Legal to go straight through a right turning lane?

I am not sure, but I was in an accident once.
    I was turning like the white pickup in the picture and some moron who was driving in the "RIGHT TURN ONLY" lane with its blinker on decided to go straight at the last minute and hit me. YES, this moron T BONED ME and fled the scene.... YEAH FLED! one of the witnesses was a friend of the moron and called her to come back to the scene, surprisingly no ticket was handed out at the time..

Verdict? 100% my fault.. So ICBC says.... Yeah.. So i can't tell you if it's legal or not, but if you get hit by a MORON doing that... you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx View Post
    Folks,

I wonder if it is legal to go straight if you are in a right turning lane like in tis picture:

City buses do it all the time as their stop is on the right side past the intersection. However I have seen several vehicles almost getting smoked as they assume the bus will turn right and not straight.

Is what the buses do legal?

cheers

Tx
    No, it's not.
    Dale McGregor
    DMMcG
    '05 TJ Unlimited

The offence in the Motor Vehicle Act is called "disobey traffic control device." The arrow painted on the roadway commands traffic in that lane to turn right only.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The offence in the Motor Vehicle Act is called "disobey traffic control device." The arrow painted on the roadway commands traffic in that lane to turn right only.
    Thanks, thats what I thought. The issue is that city buses do it all the time (every bus I have seen there does it) and they dont slow down. It is just a matter of time until someone gets smoked there.

Is there a good way to stop that dangerous practice? Will cops care if told? Or should I contact the bus company/city?

I am a Transit driver and the only right hand turn lanes we can legally go straight through are the intersections that have the sign about 50 meters back that say "Except Buses"

the dangerous part is that other drivers cant see the sign and expect the bus to turn.

I just emailed translink .. lets see what they have to say

The signs are there but people just dont look for them. For instance, crossing Austen going north or south at Lougheed mall. We can go straight through because there are signs before the intersection. They are usually place high
    and most people would not even think to look. The problem there is that there is a Tim Hortons (gas station) on the south side and it gets pretty tense sometimes when we go through. They allow us to do this because of the traffic back up in # 2 and 3 lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by valkrider View Post
    The signs are there but people just dont look for them.
    The signs are there for traffic going in the same direction. As in the OP's example, West bound 6th St traffic see's the sign, but East bound traffic has no signage about transit being able to go through the right turn lane, thus creating confusion.

Or are you saying that one should drive around for a few blocks looking for any signage in any direction before turning left.
    Chris B
    (AKA, $h!t disturber, egotistical know it all, fiscally ignorant, a dick, a blasphemer, thread de-railer)

the person turning right has the "right of way" over someone turning left.when turning left,you must wait for the person turning right to clear the intersection before proceeding.
    you can turn left only when there is sufficient time to complete your turn and clear the intersection before oncoming traffic enters the intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by dautotech View Post
    the person turning right has the "right of way" over someone turning left.when turning left,you must wait for the person turning right to clear the intersection before proceeding.
    you can turn left only when there is sufficient time to complete your turn and clear the intersection before oncoming traffic enters the intersection.
    This is the best answer yet... makes perfect sense..

Quote Originally Posted by dautotech View Post
    I always hate these discussions because there are cases where the left turn vehicle does have the right of way over other traffic. Most drivers don't know this.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

The issue is not just the white truck and who has the right of way. The issue is buses going straight where people expect them to turn.

Also people coming from the right (where the white truck is coming from) expect the bus to turn, instead it goes straight.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I always hate these discussions because there are cases where the left turn vehicle does have the right of way over other traffic. Most drivers don't know this.
    Yeah, but its pretty clear when that is the case.

a) If the road both parties are pulling onto is a single lane, right hand turners have the right of way.
    b) If the road is 2 or more lanes right hand turns have the right of way. Right hand turners must turn onto the right most lane on the street they are turning too, left hand turners must turn into the left most lane.
    c) In either cases above, if the right hand turn has to turn right by crossing a crosswalk (you know the small right hand turn medians at some intersections) and there is a yield sign for right hand turners, then the left hand turner has the right of way because it is considered a merge. The idea here is that the driver turning right only has to yield instead of stop and go if the light is red thus not holding up traffic.
    d) All situations are voided if there is traffic lights, signs, or other official means telling you otherwise (traffic guard, etc).

You guys should just run by the DMV and pickup one of those new driver handbooks. They explain all these scenarios quite nicely and you won't be left scratching your head.

Bus drivers have to take extra tests to get a license to drive Buses obviously. They not only have to follow all the same rules we all do on the road but also have a few addition rules that they must follow to ensure safety.

Again, this isnt about if the white truck has to yield to the bus. Its about that the blue car wants to turn right and assumes the bus turns right and as such the blue car will be tempted to pull out and get smoked by the bus.

I filed a complaind with translink but they pretty much dont give a fuck.