BC 4x4 Forums banner

2002 FORD F250 7.3 POWERSTROKE leaking fuel HELP!!!

15K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Zach460 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
Yesterday morning I"ve smelt diesel in the cab while I was driving my truck,but I ignore the smell. Then this morning it was the same thing but it was worse. By mid today I've noticed that there was diesel dripping under the truck between the transmission and the engine. So I did some reseach and end up changing my FUEL FILTER BOWL DRAIN VALVE as most common prblems with the powerstroke. But this thing did not solve my leaking problem and now it's even worst. If i turn the key on with out staring the truck it will leak atleast 1 liter of fuel before it stops leaking... PLEASE HELP.....

#2 ·
Anyone have an idea??? :anyone::help... I had a good look this morning around my fuel filter housingn down to the valley and there's no trace of fuel... the pouring leak is now coming down really bad. What behind the engine under the turbo on this power stroke?

#6 ·
Never mind i found where it leaks... It the right side fuel line. basically damn fuel line is been rubbing againts the Y pipe bracket. It's a f**king hell of job to get that fuel line out there, but i did it.... Now my anoter problem is Lorco or other patrs shops does not carry a stainless steel fuel line. They are telling me it's dealer only but i say that is BS. There's gonna be someone out there who carries a pre made stainless fuel line.

#9 ·
Can you add some type of glow under black light dye to the fuel to help trace the problem? like cooling systems and AC?

One other spot to check is the line on the top edge of the fuel filter coming out...it can crack on the adapter and is available from Ferd...DON"T ask me how I know grrrrr....

#10 ·
few more questions. looking at the engine from the front of the truck is it leaking down the left or right side? is the valley full of oil, fuel, or both? what are your egt's like? boost?

there is a plug in the back of the passenger side head, right next to the downpipe, the seal in it can dry out and start leaking fuel. On the 7.3 the fuel rail is internal and dead heads at the front of the passenger side and back of the driver side. clean out the valley, really clean it, look at what's in it (oil, fuel or both). Start the truck and watch for fuel to start leaking from the suipply lines where they enter the head.
if its oil it could be a number of things like HPOP or lines. if its both, somewhere between the fuel rail and the injectors a seal has gone.
Have you done a 'blow by check'. simple. with the truck running take the oil filler cap off and watch to see whats coming out, if it is just a haze ok, if it puffs like a steam train you're in trouble. (new engine time)

these engine are the best ford put in their trucks, they are also some of the hardest to work on, and when they go they go. if you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself find the best diesel shop you can and take it there, pray its the plug in the cylinder head cause if its not it won't be cheap.

hopefully this might help you at least diagnose the source, if it confused you pm me and i'll try to help you better. I've had 4 of these trucks and fixed all the problems myself let me know if you have any questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.