Mud Snow VS SNOW TYRE questions

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Mud Snow VS SNOW TYRE questions

I have a querry here,

I have been told that local to my home there is a stretch of road that requires tires bearing the snow flake in mountain emblem by law. If I was to get into an accident then ICBC would not cover me, see emblem.

Now I have tyres rated for Mud and Snow or M+S but NO SNOWFLAKE emblem as they are called also in the same image above. I have decent tread and want to run these tyres I have rather than have to purchase new to me tyres. That is a generic image for example it is not one of my tyre.

Does anyone know for certain and if so can you provide links or data showing the actual motor vehicle code or ICBC law stating that snowflake emblem tyres are required?
    .... Sudden revelations and reevaluations aren't often spurred by internet debate.

Use what you like, and shut up about it Originally from The11thNickel
    ---
    VE7LAA
    Currently a 90 Bronco, gasser 5.8L 5sp
    Build
    94 7.3 IDI Turbo Intercooled and either a T19 or E4OD
    Dana 70 Rear Dana 60 Front
    NP 205 and gear box from 203 for doubler
    Ramsey 200L PTO Driven for the front.
    Possibly a second steering D60 for the rear end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Mud Snow VS SNOW TYRE questions

Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

Blog Entries

Well that tells me I have to have "snow" tyres. What it does not say is that if a tyre has only a designation of Mud and Snow is adequate or if the tyre has to have the little "Mountian snow flake" emblem to qualify as a snow tyre. I am wondering because as far as I know when a tyre says SNOW it's a Snow tyre not a All season.

Please help me quantify what constitutes the SNOW tyre.
    .... Sudden revelations and reevaluations aren't often spurred by internet debate.

---
    VE7LAA
    Build

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Please help me quantify what constitutes the SNOW tyre.
    Not SNOW, the word is WINTER.

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment...r-carry-chains
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel columns at DriveSmartBC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Not SNOW, the word is WINTER.
    After re-reading it 2 x I got that figured...so that just makes it even more confusing cause isn't a snow tyre for winter? Or is it a summer tyre for summer time snow?

---
    VE7LAA
    Build

Snow can happen in temps around 0 degrees. In these temps most mud and snow all terrains are ok.

A winter tire has a different rubber compound that stays soft in colder temps, where regular M+S tires get hard and doesn't grip as well. Most tires on the market are M+S rated but are not winter tires, nor are they mud tires.

Snow flakes are good, but a good winter tire is best.

A tire with a snow flake on it means it has been certified as a winter tire in Canada.

Riotwarrior, while you get very little snow in your area, you do tend to get a decent amount of black ice on hwy 3 along the river. If fact, the meca of all season tires - the lower mainland - gets a lot of black ice. I wish they would just require studded snow tires in all of BC. It would eliminate the need for salt which eats away at our vehicles and prevent a lot of accidents.
    Mine -- 1991 LWB Nissan Safari (AKA GQ Patrol / Y60)
    Her's -- 1992 LWB Nissan Safari

VA7CFS

... "Even on board computers can't compensate for stupidity." GG

In the first picture symbol #1 is the RAC rating for a winter tire. If the tire does not have that on the sidewall it is not a winter tire.
    92 Ranger 4x4 XLT 5spd - 6" BDS kit, 4.88's, rolling on 35's

A member of the Herd of Turtles

VA7WST

Quote Originally Posted by canucksafari View Post
    A tire with a snow flake on it means it has been certified as a winter tire in Canada.

Riotwarrior, while you get very little snow in your area, you do tend to get a decent amount of black ice on hwy 3 along the river. If fact, the meca of all season tires - the lower mainland - gets a lot of black ice. I wish they would just require studded snow tires in all of BC. It would eliminate the need for salt which eats away at our vehicles and prevent a lot of accidents.
    BFG At's came with the snow flake but I don't consider them a winter tire even though they are good when new.

I told myself I would never get into another tire thread again........

A tire does not have to bear the mountain snowflake to be considered a winter tire. That desigantion means it has been tested and approved for severe winter conditions. There are all kinds of dedicated winter tires without the symbol.

It's simple. A winter tire is one that is PRINCIPALLY designed for winter. That excludes all season tires by name alone. Just to confuse things, there are some all season type tires with the mountain snowflake symbol. Anything with that symbol will be accepted as compliant, otherwise they must be designed for winter.

Every all season tire I see says M&S on it. That does not qualify it as principally designed for winter.

I run groved and siped kumho mt's that have the M&S on the side, i drive where snow tires are required. I'm looking for a set of chains for the back just to keep me out of trouble with the cops. I understand that you can run any tire you want in the "winter tires needed areas" aslong as you have chains for your rear tires incase they are needed.
    I am a Toyota Whore

Chains only on rear tires aren't advisable. Chain up all four tires if you need chains. What good is thrust when you only have less than 1/2 your braking power and no steering?

I am still running my studded Nokians - third season on them. They are worth every cent paid in keeping me out of collisions and getting me to and from my destination on snowy roads in a reasonable amount of time. Besides better traction than any non-studded winter tire, they have worn real well in combination snow, wet and dry pavement driving. I'll probably by another set of them or studded Coopers for my wife to get back for from work in Langley. I'd much rather buying these tires then messing around with chains in slop on the side of a highway.

BTW, winter tires or chains are always required in any region in BC when you have winter conditions.

VA7CFS

BTW, winter tires or chains are always required in any region in BC when you have winter conditions.
    Not true. The signs say "Winter tires required or carry chains beyond this point." These signs are posted on the edge of city limits. If you don't go past the sign, it obviously doesn't apply.

Long story short, winter tires or chains are only required if you go past a sign requiring it. If you stay within city limits, you aren't legally required to have winter tires.

Blog Entries

Well I dunno I seen quite a bit of snow in this area a number of times and traveling to Pen or Osoyoos or Van makes a fun ride with wrong tyres.

Now Don't get me wrong I don't plan on using "All Seasons (branded M+S)" I do plan on using an actual snow tyre or winter tyre depends on what crosses my way.

I am not a fan of studs what so ever, I do however like Greendiamond retreads http://www.greendiamondtire.com/productswest2.html having had experienced them in PEI where there is LOTS of snow and ice roads though they just use sand

---
    VE7LAA
    Build

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid.5 View Post
    Not true. The signs say "Winter tires required or carry chains beyond this point." These signs are posted on the edge of city limits. If you don't go past the sign, it obviously doesn't apply.

Long story short, winter tires or chains are only required if you go past a sign requiring it. If you stay within city limits, you aren't legally required to have winter tires.
    So if I get in an accident n a zone that is not posted and the police say the wrong tires are to blame, then its a no fault accident. I don't think it works that way. Perhaps Skidmark has a comment?

VA7CFS