People who pick through our recycle box on garbage pick-up day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People who pick through our recycle box on garbage pick-up day

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago, on garbage day, I'm outside when a woman in a Bronco comes to a stop beside our blue box and starts picking out some pop cans. When I told her that I'd prefer that she left them for the city recycling pickup, she said she was going to take them to be recycled anyway. So I insisted that she leave them where they are. She politely complied and drove off.

Am I wrong in thinking that the city recycling program relies on the cans to remain in operation? That's my rationale for protecting my recycling. Emotionally, it bothers me than she's basically cherry picking through the recycling that we've already collected and organized, and so is basically freeloading off of our efforts. I have no problems with people picking cans off the ground or garbage cans, though.

What do you folks think?

Also, a full size 4x4 probably isn't the best choice of transportation if you're picking up cans.

...lars
    Too Much Driver For Car

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

ultimate web wheeler d0ubledown's Avatar

Re: People who pick through our recycle box on garbage pick-up day

same here except people sometimes come late at night when everyone is asleep. you can hear al the rustling and clanking. I don't put my bottles n cans in there...when they pile up I send em in for refund. after camping trips etc... I often walk out with over 25 bucks which goes to the kids as they're at the depot helping me sort. it's usually paper and plastic containers in our bins.

isn't the recycling that gets picked up funded by our property tax dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by d0ubledown View Post
    isn't the recycling that gets picked up funded by our property tax dollars?
    I think it is part of the garbage portion of property taxes.

I personal do not have this problem with the pickers, probably because I live in the sticks, the houses are too far apart to make it profitable.
    82 CJ7, Toyota diffs,302 to 435 to 203 to D300, bald 35's
    82 CJ7 project CJ-unlimited
    __(OIIIIIO)__
    karnageoffroad.com

We had people coming into our neighbourhood and going through ours. I found it bothered alot of people, specifcally stay at home moms (the pickers came in the morning after most guys had left for work). Myself and a couple other guys very politely(really,we were polite) asked them not too. They left, and we've made an effort to not put returnable recycling in our bins and that has helped. My father was the head garbage guy or foreman or something for the city of Bby for a few years and he told me that if someone removes something from the bins it's technically stealing.
    "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." - Eric Hoffer

Social darwinism, Hopefully the dumbest die before they breed.

I don't know about your specific city, but the ones I do know don't pull the return for deposit stuff and return it for the deposit and put the money back into the city program, if it does get pulled its by the employees who return it themselves and pocket the money as a benefit of the job.

Myself I return aything that has a deposit on it myself, I paid the deposit, I deserve to get it back. If I leave anything in the recycle bin, the neighbor takes it
    Professional Driver on a Closed Course. Do Not Attempt.

92 YJ. Its not Gord's anymore.

happens in the townhouse complex i live in also.......but like Dan said if i can get deposit i take it back..............i tested tem once and pit a single beer can under a pile of plastic stuff......they took it but they also put all the other shit back in the box so i dont get to bothered by it.....i usually see them when i leave for work in the morning like 5 am ish
    WWW.CRAWLINBC.COM
    Ginger Comms...

We have pickers going throught the bins behind our apartment building (in Burnaby) for 30 years. If somebody want to make some money that way then that's fine with me. With mandatory recycling it's easier for them to go through the little yellow bin instead of the big green bin. City staff -- who I deal with -- are fine with it too. The city doesn't return the returnables any way.

Happy to make the Donation. I do not have a lot, but the people who take look as if they need it more.

Same problem here. There is this one woman who drives all over our town (Ladner) and goes up and down every block picking through the cans. Neighbours have asked her to stop as the money goes towards the city. A lot of people on our block now don't put their recycling out till the they leave for work. I find it very annoying actually that people do that. I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine.
    Originally Posted by snacks
    once i figure out what to do for a career i will at least make $40 an hour i am sure so it's just a matter of time.

we leave bottles out in obvious places and make beer bets on how long they last before someone pics them up. i prefer giving bottles to handing homeless people cash. also, smelly bottles don't have to go in my truck and make a mess in there.

All items the city collects through the recycling program is sold for scrap metal or plastic and these funds offsets the costs to collect and sort through the materials. They should put refundable deposits on many other items like tv's, computer monitors, printers, etc so they now have a monetary value and end up in the right place instead of the side of a road in Surrey.

I have no problem with pickers going through the recycling as they are performing a service that you are too lazy to do otherwise. As long as they don't leave a mess I am fine with it.
    2010 Ford F150
    2004 Ford Expedition
    1978 Ford Bronco 6-ing it!

as long as they aren't dumping the box and making a mess it's ok with me.

do some of you guys actually give money to homeless people on the street?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmax
    hmmm. i ment to say its awsome
    '04 Taco TRD 4X4 v6 5spd- official truck of the taliban

we have one old guy here that goes around the night before and the morning of garbage day im more look at it as im helping him retire and hes super nice and dosent make a mess
    93 toy sas 37s blawblawblaw

44s aren't that big its just that normal tires are so small.

The crackhead that USED TO sift through everyone's bins also USED TO break into cars and steal bikes and other stuff. A few neighbors and I had to put a stop to it.

So when it comes to picking through my garbage, cans or not:

nice lee-enfield
    Have you ever met anyone who has the training to be a better than average driver?

idea=`grep -i clue /dev/brain` ; test -z "$idea" && echo "sorry, init 6 in progress" || sh ./answer-the-forum