3VZE Upgrades - Looking for Suggestions

3VZE Upgrades - Looking for Suggestions

Hey Guys,
    I am currently doing some minor mods to my 1991 Pickup 3VZE and was wondering if you had suggestions for a cold air intake system.
    My plan was to remove the stock airbox and just put an filter on the inlet to it, skipping the whole box entirely.
    Any idea's on a good air intake system you can get in Canada?
    Also, looking at an electric fan conversion as well. Suggestions on that?
    I was going to install a Borla Turbo muffler, any thoughts on that? LOVE the sound matched with the 3VZE.

Any other cheap performance/easy performance mods you guys can think of?
    Insight welcome, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: 3VZE Upgrades - Looking for Suggestions

i dont have a 3.0 so i havent looked around for anything but ive seen a TON of threads on www.yotatech.com check out there for sure
    hammer it

save your $$ and don't buy any of that and instead swap the motor with a 3.4!

skip trying to make an air intake just put in a factory style K&N filter in the airbox, I am running the a borla setup very pleased with the sound. I just ordered a set of the Thorley Headers to help out, they will make a huge difference with power about 10-13 hp. I'm also going to drop about a $1000 on getting the heads done. I talked to magnem machining in burnaby. Most will rant just to put a 3.4 in it but I like the 3.0s there a solid engine, they just need a little help to produce sound numbers. You can also check out http://doaracingengines.com/ I'm contimplating getting the bored throttle body but not 100% convinced on overal performance, I will be doing more research on the TB.

If you get rid of the stock airbox you won't have an airflow sensor. It's located in the top of the airbox. It will result in less power and a shitty running engine.
    96 Tacoma lifted, Lockered on 33's Rebco box (Sold and missed)
    93 Toyota flatdeck 4x4 (Sold that too)
    96 F-250 Powerstroke. It's got me to work in Fort Mac, and took me on vacation to Baja California.

Quote Originally Posted by gotmud73 View Post
    skip trying to make an air intake just put in a factory style K&N filter in the airbox, I am running the a borla setup very pleased with the sound. I just ordered a set of the Thorley Headers to help out, they will make a huge difference with power about 10-13 hp. I'm also going to drop about a $1000 on getting the heads done. I talked to magnem machining in burnaby. Most will rant just to put a 3.4 in it but I like the 3.0s there a solid engine, they just need a little help to produce sound numbers. You can also check out http://doaracingengines.com/ I'm contimplating getting the bored throttle body but not 100% convinced on overal performance, I will be doing more research on the TB.
    DO NOT REUSE THE FACTORY STYLE AIR BOX! The factory style air box on 3.0L trucks and 4runners takes air from directly behind the drivers side headlight. If you hit any sort of deep puddle and water rushes up to your headlights your fucked. Bam goes the 3.0L. Your best bet is to purchase a k&n cone filter and an adapter for your mas air flow sensor. Then re route the filter up near your master cylinder out of the way of water. I plan on just using ABS pipe but you can use stainless or aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckyota View Post
    DO NOT REUSE THE FACTORY STYLE AIR BOX! The factory style air box on 3.0L trucks and 4runners takes air from directly behind the drivers side headlight. If you hit any sort of deep puddle and water rushes up to your headlights your fucked. Bam goes the 3.0L. Your best bet is to purchase a k&n cone filter and an adapter for your mas air flow sensor. Then re route the filter up near your master cylinder out of the way of water. I plan on just using ABS pipe but you can use stainless or aluminum.
    Any photos of what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by j0rdanisme View Post
    Any photos of what you mean?
    have a look under your hood. there is a tube that enters your stock air box and sits wide open directly behind your drivers light. the cone filter adapter just allows you to use your stock mas airflow sensor with a cone filter and get rid of the stock air box. The k&n FPK system uses the same principle. kind of like this:

http://www.henrylee.ca/camry/engine/airfilter.jpg

Make your own intake. I made mine out of 3" exhaust tubing, 2 rubber couplers to attach it to the TB and Stock airbox and two brass fittings threaded in for the two lines going to the intake (to the valve covers). Cost me $25.

I do like the stock airbox tho, I hate k&N filters and toyota air boxes sound like screechy ass when you throw one on...

don't expect performance gains from an intake aswell. The exhaust hurts the motor alot more.

Check out http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=309179 for good 3vze info
    1991 Toyota Pickup - Lifted, locked and not so shiney...anymore

here is the after pic of the air box removed and changed to k&n filter setup with a few more mods i put the air flow meter right @ the intake {better throttle response time}

taking out the air box gave me room to install a second battery

i also drilled out the center of the old pcv valve and put new pcv hose on it and ran it to a new location put on a new pcv valve and a new hose and ran that to intake {now i never have to take off the upper intake again to change pcv valve}

put a breather valve on the driver side where the hose comes off the valve cover {no oil going into intake and it looks cool}

and last but not least put on new and Bigger ground wires to the block

If u need Help with these mods pm me i will as much as i can
    Last edited by caecharger96; July 15th, 2010 at 05:25 pm.
    1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 swap 3 Inch Body lift 4 Inch ProComp Lift IN THE FRONT LEAFS IN THE REAR 35's 10,000 Pound Winch .... Lets GO PLAY!!!

nice intake man. how much total money spent? looking to make this improvement, as well as some exaust upgrades on my wheezy 3vze...
    '89 Trooper/custom lift 33's 12blt 2 motor rebuilds, sold probably junked
    '95 4runner/mild lift. 33s 4.88s warn hubs Plans/lockers.sas.3.4swap.dual case...

Quote Originally Posted by caecharger96 View Post
    here is the after pic of the air box removed and changed to k&n filter setup with a few more mods i put the air flow meter right @ the intake {better throttle response time}
    similar to what i am planning on doing. where did you pick up the cone filter adapter? do you have the part #?