BC 4x4 Forums banner

truck box tents?

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crazyguy 
#1 ·
so on my way home today I saw this weird looking thing in the back of a truck so I had to get close to read the little sticker on it that said:
Outback Products Inc.
Made in Canada

then on the side was a decal that said "the box tent" and a little tiny decal n side and back with the copyright symbol and 1998 beside it.

honestly it looked like some kind of agricultural equipment like a funel for spreder or something haha. wondering if anyone has heard of or seen these before. just looking for info cause i've never seen them before. not that ive never seen tents for truck boxs, but this looked like it would be like a tent trailer but in the truck box. hard roof that must raise and I guess it would have side that pop out like a tent trailer.

#2 ·
There was a company in Kelowna back around 98 that was making/marketing "the box tent". they folded a long time ago as far as I know. I remember because we went camping and tied a tarp over the truck then started immitating the commercial and joking about marketing "the box tarp". I dont think I ever saw one so I cant tell you how they set up (pop out side er whatever)

#3 ·
i had one for my truck.

PROS: bottom of tent always smooth, no rocks.
water always drained to the outside of the box from the overhang

CONS: have to unload the truck completely every time you set up camp
if you have to scramble out of the tent for the morning ritual, remember the tailgate is high up, don't face plant
in a lifted truck it can get awkward to set up.

#7 ·
really? where abouts in abby? I almost would like to talk to the guy just to see what its like. ended up getting a tent trailer but it still has me curios to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.