Brutal 22re oil leak

Brutal 22re oil leak

My 22re is leaking like crazy. Ive done lots of searches and it seems to be very common that the front main seal and the oil pump o-ring to leak and make a huge mess. From what ive looked up i will need to get these parts..

Harmonic balancer repair sleeve/speedy sleeve (seal saver sleeve, balancer repair sleeve,crank seal saver,sleeveNseal ring) slides over shaft
    Front crank oil seal (front input shaft seal)

Correct me if im wrong or if anyone has gone and done this fix themselves. It seems like a pretty simple fix. Remove the crankshaft pulley open up the aluminum part on the front of the timing cover replace the seals then button it back up replace the crankshaft seal and that should slove it... Sounds close to right? i looked in the 85 toy manuel and i couldnt really find anything on it
    !!sold!!91 toyota ext. 33''s LIME GREEN MEAN MACHINE

Current: 85 ext cab on 33's welded front 4.10s RUF and 63' chevys out back..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BC4x4.com
    Advertisements

Re: Brutal 22re oil leak

Sounds about right.. dont forget the one bolt that gets sealant. When did it start leaking? That thing didnt drip a drop when I had it...
    doesnt all apply but some good info
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
    88 runner...hopfully it will be done soon...

4-Wheeling, Its like eating & breathing only more
    important

skeptical that the oil pump ring is gone. but you would know better i suppose. i had a groove in my crank and it leaked pretty bad, about a liter every 50-150 km at most. i dont recall. i put a liter in about every week since i didnt drive that much. curious how much you're actually losing? i suppose it could be the oil pump o-ring if it is more or possibly where the head gasket meets the timing cover.

the only sleeves i could find came in a set and if i wanted one alone it was 40 dollars or so. i have a spare sleeve if you dont want the timing cover gaskets and water pump one. i may even have oil pump o-ring also. if your curious i can check to make sure.

you should be able to fix it without too much hassle. drain the oil.
    maybe pull the fan for easier access.
    pull the crank pulley.
    pull oil pump if its leaking. (check all clearances before reassemble now that you have it apart.
    use small crow bar and pry the old seal out. worked really well for me. (easier if you pull the pump and do this on a bench. 4x4wire has a good picture of this)
    install the sleeve on the pulley. (really easy, dont know why i've read so many horror stories)
    prime the oil pump with some assembly grease or vasoline etc. and put it all back together.
    *and the sealant on the one screw, although i used teflon tape the second time around.

should work. my engine has at least 1000km on the sleeve and no problems, everything is nice and clean and a real joy to work on now.

good luck, i know how annoying those leaks can be.
    92' toyota 22-re ext cab

Quote Originally Posted by POSTOY View Post
    Sounds about right.. dont forget the one bolt that gets sealant. When did it start leaking? That thing didnt drip a drop when I had it...
    doesnt all apply but some good info
    http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
    I would say the leak started about 2weeks ago.. And believe me it just snuck right up on me. The leak was crazy! hits the fan and just makes a mess of everything at first i thought it was just going to be valve cover gasket and those half gromets... WRONG! haha. after spending some time cleaning it again and starting it up and trying to run it it was just way to hard to tell where it was coming from. I removed the pulley today and took a really good look at everything the oil pump seems to be in good shape and its hard to tell if the seal is toast or not but its out.. So its getting done. By some random fluke there was a toyota teck at lordco today when i was looking for parts i explained to him what was going on and he told me to just get a whole new oil pump with all the seals * felt like i was getting up sold * he told me there could have been some vibrations that took a toll on the pump if it was run hard in the time that the leak has been going. Now that i have it all off should i do the sleave when im putting it all back together? it seems like it would make a better seal. The teck told me that i could wait the week for it but if im getting the new pump and fresh seals it should be just fine.seems like im getting a little mixed info from internet/mechanic. i havent gone threw that link yet but which one has the sealent?

[QUOTE=mknockaert;1007904]skeptical that the oil pump ring is gone. but you would know better i suppose. i had a groove in my crank and it leaked pretty bad, about a liter every 50-150 km at most. i dont recall. i put a liter in about every week since i didnt drive that much. curious how much you're actually losing? i suppose it could be the oil pump o-ring if it is more or possibly where the head gasket meets the timing cover. QUOTE]

The leak is out of hand i drove it just because i needed to get around the other day and the road was wet... You could see where ive been. When i park its from tire to tire. the crank seems to be in great shape still so i dont think it really has a groove on it. Is it very noticable if i have a grove?

sounds bad. i wouldnt buy a new oil pump before measuring the pump with a feeler gauge. your haynes or fsm manual should have the specs. check out the third post on toyota faqs in the toyota section here for the 93 fsm manual link. how does the crank pulley look, can you see a groove? i have also heard of guys using the older model crank seals which seat deeper in the oil pump so you dont have to mess with a sleeve.

this is what mine looked like, it seemed like it had two grooves already-perhaps from using older and new style seals - so i went ahead and sleeved it. my leak was not as huge as yours though.

*edit- you shouldn't do something just because some guy claims to be an expert. try and figure out why its leaking before doing any costly impulse purchases. TRUST ME
    92' toyota 22-re ext cab

Quote Originally Posted by mknockaert View Post
    sounds bad. i wouldnt buy a new oil pump before measuring the pump with a feeler gauge. your haynes or fsm manual should have the specs. check out the third post on toyota faqs in the toyota section here for the 93 fsm manual link. how does the crank pulley look, can you see a groove? i have also heard of guys using the older model crank seals which seat deeper in the oil pump so you dont have to mess with a sleeve.

this is what mine looked like, it seemed like it had two grooves already-perhaps from using older and new style seals - so i went ahead and sleeved it. my leak was not as huge as yours though.

*edit- you shouldn't do something just because some guy claims to be an expert. try and figure out why its leaking before doing any costly impulse purchases. TRUST ME

Well after riding my sisters bike (not as bad as it sounds) to lordco and thinking about my oil pump im not sure if it was or is the full problem thankfully it wasnt in because i came back and looked at it and it didnt look bad at all the seal seems to be still fully in tack.

I snapped a picture and this is what mine looks the the lower one goes around the whole way and the upper one doesnt.. Im thinking this reallyjust needs the sleeve and of course lordco didnt have any.. Any chance you have those seals kicking around still?

i definitely have the sleeve and sealant. probably have the oil pump o-ring too. should replace it now that its apart. where are you located?
    92' toyota 22-re ext cab

Quote Originally Posted by mknockaert View Post
    i definitely have the sleeve and sealant. probably have the oil pump o-ring too. should replace it now that its apart. where are you located?
    Quote Originally Posted by toygasm View Post
    this is a pretty common thing with the 22r/re motors.yes it makes a huge mess.looks like the engine exploded.oil everywhere!!i agree that since you have it apart,a speedy sleeve is probably a good idea.
    Im located in maple ridge would LOVE to get these off you! What works for you and how much?

toygasm... Your completely right looks like a oil bomb went off haha. Hopefully this will be the end of my oil issue

use an OE crank seal, most of the aftermarket front crank seals are way thicker and tend to just graze the deflector on the back of the balancer. the OE ones being thinner, can be installed flush with the outside edge of the oil pump. its a pretty common issue.
    Disturbed Industries Automotive
    www.disturbedindustries.com
    www.toyotafiberglass.com

hmm... the fel-pro ones i used seemed to work fine without any 'interference'. what is this deflector you speak of? wish i still had a pic of the mine sleeved
    92' toyota 22-re ext cab

you can see the deflector in the picture. its on the back of the balancer. as far as the seals go, the toyota ones are under 10 bucks, so unless you are worried about saving 2 or 3 dollars, use the toyota one. just my .02
    Disturbed Industries Automotive
    www.disturbedindustries.com
    www.toyotafiberglass.com

ah, i see.
    there is absolutely no interference with the felpro ones either. i thought you were refering to the actual thickness of the metal used for the sleeve not the length.
    92' toyota 22-re ext cab