BC 4x4 Forums banner

firearms

76K views 99 replies 42 participants last post by  Zedbra 
#1 ·
Our province can often pose more threats than just challenging terrain and weather. I'm planning to be out in grizzly and cougar territory this summer, and not excited about running into anything bigger than me that can run much faster than me, especially if it wants to eat me.

Do you guys carry anything to protect yourselves from the local wildlife? I've been looking around trying to research firearms. I'm finding it difficult to match portability (for hiking) with effectiveness (especially for something like a grizzly bear).

Also, any info on gun licensing would be helpful.

It's important to note that I'm not out actively hunting these beautiful beasts, and if I were to encounter one I'd hope to scare it away before actually harming it, but when it comes down to it and no warnings are heeded, it's him or me...

#39 ·
Indeed... inexperience shooters are not prepared to carry a firearm for personal defence against anything. And I'm no condoning going into the bush "loaded for bear." And yes that pun was very much intended. Chances like that only come along one in a blue moon!

djjack, what do you do for work, if I might ask?

#41 ·
Holy crap.
If you don't like guns, don't enter a thread called "firearms".
Some people like carrying guns, some don't. Nobody asked why your so chicken shit of guns so keep it to your self.
Shoot it, kill it, skin it.
Do I show up at your work and shoot guns off. I have not fear of the gun only the idiot holding it. They are a tool not a toy.
Maybe if you are that affraid to walk in the forest you should stick to the mall.

Land Andy: I do research in ecology/forestry/wildlife.

#54 ·
Yeah pretty sure 10" isn't legal.

With the mossberg, my dad's had jamming problems. The gunsmith gave up and had to send it back to the factory for fixing. With mine, I had a part in the action that would pinch the shells as I was cycling. It would end up shaving some plastic off the shells and jamming. Both were new guns, and both are fixed now. That being said I still take it into the bush instead of the 870 because I can get a shot off faster with it. Totally up to you, both are great and proven guns.

Although I'm considering switching to a guide gun. Short little, very large caliber gun. Something else to think about.

#56 ·
Dlask makes an 8.5" barrel 12 ga, 3 round, with a pistol grip that's unrestricted. Indeed it is pushing the limits of the law, but I assume no one's committed any crimes with it because the RCMP isn't pushing to make them restricted. A buddy has one of those Dominion Arm Grizzly, double 12" barrel pistolgrip shotties that likes eating your eyebrows, its damn cool but a touch impractical except for point plank range. 16" I think would be the best carry option IMO. Learn how to use it properly, the tire rolling down a hill is a good way to train if you can do it safely. There's no such thing as too much training when it comes to emergency situations, anybody can tell you that. The more you know, the safer you generally are and there's a good chance it just might save your (or someone else's) life sometime down the road. LR

#57 ·
100% not a myth. Even their hide will stop bullets without enough juice behind them. Happened to friends out hunting last season.
What were they shooting it with? Grizzly hides are no different than black bear hides and all the black bears I've shot are pass throughs. People kill them with arrows.

#59 ·
Proper rifle, proper practice, and proper ammo and you'll easily blow a hole straight through a grizzly skull.. they're not exactly made out of ballistics kevlar or anything. If I were to be shooting Barnes TSX bullets out of my .30-06 I would think twice about where I would put a bullet on a charging grizzly, hell, those things even blast through steel plate. The only reason I use different bullets is purely because I hate cleaning the copper out of the barrel afterwards, and I've had good luck with 150gr ballistic tips. LR

#60 ·
I've got the mossburg 500 with pistol grip and yes the safety is in a much better place then the 870 and can be pulled out loaded and fired very quickly, I prefer that over the 870. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one though both are great guns. I was under the impression that 18.5" inch was the smallest you could go to keep it in the unrestricted category, also if you're using it for protection do you need to have the plug in to limit the amount of shells in the gun to 3? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also how do I find out where I can carry it?

#61 ·
Dlask makes a 6.5" 2 or 3 round shotgun now, unrestricted. 12" seems to be about the norm for very short, below that I've found its pretty custom.

Yes, the Mossburg 590s definitely kick ass on the 870s. I don't use my safety at all, don't trust them. I won't hunt with a loaded rifle if I'm with anyone, only chamber a round when I'm stalking or about to take the shot. The only time you need to plug is when hunting water fowl. LR

#64 ·
#65 ·
Marlin 1895 guide gun calibre'd in 45/70 gov't 300 grain bullets anywhere up past 500 grain bullets

the best option is garret rounds but we can't get them in canada and if anyone can i want some haha

500-GRAIN Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacketed Flatnose Solid at 1530-fps
garret 45/70 +P charged exiters have taken elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo's, 5 round capacity in quick lever action aslong as you dont miss shouldn't have a problem stopping a bear.

#66 ·
.375 H&H. Thats what the guides carry. I've got a marlin "guide gun" in 45/70. It's pussy. Not big enough for large grizzlies IMO. Although they do have a fast action which definatly helps. Big chunk o lead but no speed. Try .458 win mag, that'll work. I think i'm the only person i know that owns one. Even the fellow I bought it from was calling me crazy to want to shoot it. But it's gonna save my a$$ one day. I've got 5 acres on the sunshine coast up by lund, there's bears in my yard every damn time i'm up there.

#71 ·
For those that are interested in getting there firearms liscence I highly recommend Canadian Firearms Academy tel# 604-345-3735. Talk to Tony and tell him Sean sent you. If you actually want to learn something in a very practical way and be a safe proper firearm owner I highly recommend him. He does it as a full time bussiness. Hes located in the strip mall with the Hook and Ladder Pub in Surrey.

http://www.canadianfirearmsacademy.com/

As for predator defence when in the bush being a hunter myself I highly recommend you dont waste ur money on a shotgun. Unless your shooting slugs at close range at a grizzly a shotgun is useless for bear defence and a face full of shot is just going to piss it off even more. If you insist on carrying a firearms for wilderness protection I carry a non-restricted stainless 16" barrelled Rossi Puma 357 magnum lever action. Being a pistol calibre it will hold up to 10 rounds plus one in the chamber. Its quick to reload being a lever after firing a shot and cycling the action is really quick. Its light weight and a very nice gun to carry. Wanstalls in Maple Ridge carries them in stainless and non-stainless. You can also get them in a 44 magnum too. Price is about 500-650$ depending on the model.

Hopefully in the future B.C. goes the same way Ontario and Quebec have gone and allow you to hunt with a pistol as I would carry my Glock 17 9mm in a heart beat full of hollow points for wilderness defense. And lets not forget Bears and Cougars arent the only animal you need to defend yourself. I have seen an adult Bull Moose completely destroy a full size truck before because it was pissed off that it had its personal space invaded. Moose, Deer and Elk can be just as dangerous and lethal when breeding.

As for carrying a firearm in a Provincial Park, it is legal to carry a non-restricted firearm anywhere you want within reason ie. not the fricking mall. You can keep it in your truck anywhere you go as long as it complies with the rules set out by the Canadian Firearms Act for safe transportation and handling.

#72 ·
Hopefully in the future B.C. goes the same way Ontario and Quebec have gone and allow you to hunt with a pistol as I would carry my Glock 17 9mm in a heart beat full of hollow points for wilderness defense.
you had better check you sources. the carry of restricted firearms in the woods is illegal. you need to get a wilderness ATT ( need to have a mining, trappers license) through your provincial CFO. Ontario and Quebec especially have some of the most restrictive aux firearms laws in the country.

sorry but i have to call BS.

#77 ·
If anyone is interested, I found the guy who drives around the province and does testing. He's based out of Lillooet but when I called him he was way up in Prince Rupert. He was on his way down to the island so he stopped by my job site in Pemberton and I challenged the test beside his truck right in the driveway of the house we were building. Then half the guys on site realized what was up and all wanted to do it too, so he said he'd be back next week with more tests, hahaha.

Anyway, it's fairly easy, I didn't read any books or anything, just wrote it based on minimal knowledge of firearms and some common sense. It's really just safety-based, 30ish multiple choice questions, 30ish true/false, you have to get 80% to pass, then he runs you through a quick practical test with a riffle, you pay him $150, he gives you some paperwork to fill out and send away, and 6-8 weeks later your license shows up.

I forget his name, but his number is 250 256 9396. He's real nice and explained everything to me really well. I bought a Mossberg 500 yesterday :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.