BC 4x4 Forums banner

Buggy bellies

8K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  Goof 
#1 ·
Considering my options on the belly for my buggy. Anyone have any comments on materials for the belly pan/plate. UHMW, steel, Aluminum?

#2 ·
steel under with uhmw covering. Dont cheap out on the quantity of fasteners or you will just rip the uhmw off.

#7 ·
Ultra High Molecular Weight polyethylene starts to soften and lose its abrasion resistance characteristics around 185 degrees F.

Water solutions generally safe except highly oxidizing chemicals such as bleach. Hydrocarbons: gasoline, kerosene, oil and grease can cause swelling.

#4 ·
interesting topic. I am in the same boat, not sure what to go with. I was thinking 1/8 inch aluminum( cause I have some) with 1/2 uhmw, but now leaning towards a good quality 3/16 steel, something a little harder.

#8 ·
I've been meaning to try it, but we've been using a product call slip plate on our conveyors and chainways. it's a moly based paint. It paints on like an epoxy (use a brush) and makes any metal it touches slicker than snot on a doorknob. it seems to wear away slowly with metal on metal contact and I have yet to see it chip when put on bare steel. I don't know how it'll do with rocks, but it's oil resistant and once dry, hard to catch fire (don't ask).

Has anyone tried using AR plate for a skid or is it too brittle?

#14 ·
I always used 1/4 plate. Used UHMW once in a while on different stule of cars... we backed 1/2" uhmw with 1/8" aluminum and it held up ok. I prefer the 1/4 plate since it will slide on all types of rock VS dig in like the uhmw in sandstone.

#15 ·
urethane is not a friction surface.

UHMW works great but it wears.

I used 5/8" with no backing and support it ever 12" with tube. works fine.

i tried 1/4" UHWM backed with 1/4" aluminum with the same 12" tube support and tore the alum and UH right off.

steel works good but sticks to rocks.

i will continue to use UHWM on the bottom of my rigs. is supported right it makes the most sence to me.

#17 ·
I ran some 3/8" uhmw backed with 10g aluminum on my ftoy it worked great. Only issue is sometimes you slide sideways and into cones...it can also really dig in on sharp rock. All in all I liked it on the ftoy. This time around I'm running 1/4" formed plate on the new buggy, after I try it out for a bit I might add some uhmw if it sticks to much.

#19 ·
I'd like to try the steel they guys lined our rock trucks and crushers with, I think it's called a tr400 steel, hard as hell and bounces back after a good impact. I take it 3/16 is a little thin? just trying to save some weight.

#23 ·
I would like to have my belly wrap up both sides of the boats sides in one continuous piece. I would have the skid formed to the radius of the 2 lower tubes.

I have my fuel and electrical and stuff running through the drivers boat side and wanted to protect it

I do have some tube that I could add for the middle for support.

#24 ·
Tried some 1/4" UHMW on my Dad's buggy...it's sitting in a pile outside. It was deformed to hell after half a trip.

Definetly slides better than steel, but 1/4" definetly isn't though to hold it's shape under a 4500+ lb buggy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.